Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Android App not starting: black screen

Spotify Android App not starting: black screen

Hi,

Sorry to bother here but I couldn't find a way to contact Spotify itself (for now I'm paying for this ...).

This morning, Spotify on my Galaxy S3 won't start: I can launch the app, but all I get is a black screen with the Spotify logo on it (I can also tap on it, but nothing happens 😕 ).

I didn't have any problem with any other app for now so this is not a phone problem...

Spotify, please respond: I'm a paying user and this app has been updated A LOT, seeing lots of "new features", but still no bug fix for now...

If I can't have my playlists offline, why am I paying ???

Guillaume FAURE-DUMONT
Founder of ZikMe: the music collaborative encyclopedia !
www.ZikMe.org
21 Replies

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hello and welcome to the community 🙂

have you already tried a clean reinstallation of your android app? 🙂

Kind regards,

Max aka. Amarro

If i helped you don't forget to leave a "Kudo" or "Accept as Solution".

( Twitter // Spotify )

What is a Spotify Rock Star and how do i become one?

Im not a Spotify Employee.

Hi there,

I've read and done the clean installation about 5 times and the solution is very temporary; it always reverts to the black screen after a little while. I would never post on here if I didn't feel completely helpless. I have an HTC One M8 running 4.4.4. Is this a bug that is going to be fixed? Otherwise as much as I love Spotify, I will have to drop it because I literally can't do anything on the app.

I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here, it may be the cache on the server side which is causing you issues when your device tries to connect. Possibly suggest when you fill out the form that they reset your user cache on the server,

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

I'm sorry, but being obliged to reinstall the app all the time is kind of annoying

I regularly have my playlists getting unavailable offline without warning, and I regularly have to restart my phone so Spotify would start.

I have a standard phone and no problem with any other app.

How come the one app that costs me the most is so full of bugs ??

I'm paying to have my playlists available offline, but its seems that you guys prefer to add some features more than fixing bugs.

I don't mind having a beautifull play button if my music is not there !

Guillaume FAURE-DUMONT
www.ZikMe.org

Same problem on 4.4.4. HTC One M8 and Google Nexus 7 (2012) both have the same problem. I just rode 20 hours in the car w/o music and would love to get this month's payment reversed.

@joeracette wrote:

Same problem on 4.4.4. HTC One M8 and Google Nexus 7 (2012) both have the same problem. I just rode 20 hours in the car w/o music and would love to get this month's payment reversed.

Have you read the below guide?

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Android Troubleshooting:

Yes we've all read it but that means it's buggy. 

I have virtually nothing running on my Samsung Galaxy S3 as suddenly the amount of RAM they provide is not enough. App writers don't care about users on old phones and resource hogging and instead want to pile on loads of features that nobody asked for, not to mention the app doing its own agenda ahead of letting the user control what they want to do.

If I spend time deleting files off my SD card it will be to remove Spotify. Sorry but it's easy enough to switch to a competent app developer.

Hello

I have the same problem as everyone and have read the guide but it desn't fix the bug.

And now it's even worse since I updated my Nexus 5 to Lollipop (v5): restarting the app doesn't work at all. I have to wait for the app to work again by itself !

It'd be nice to have an update to make the app function.

Thanks.

You probably already tried this but clearing the cache worked for me

Update this morning on HTC fixed the problem for now. Not sure about the Nexus 7

I am having the same problem. When I open spotify all I get is a black screen with the logo at the top that does nothing when tapped. Eventually, it will let me log in, but after that it goes black again and eventually says "Sorry, Spotify stopped working" or something like that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled over and over and it's not working at all. I am close to cancelling my subscribtion. 

@hannahugs wrote:

I am having the same problem. When I open spotify all I get is a black screen with the logo at the top that does nothing when tapped. Eventually, it will let me log in, but after that it goes black again and eventually says "Sorry, Spotify stopped working" or something like that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled over and over and it's not working at all. I am close to cancelling my subscribtion. 

Have you followed my guide for a clean install? Please do this step-by-step including the reboot.

Android Troubleshooting:

Yes, I just did this. I didn't find any of those files listed in my file explorer, but I uninstalled and all that. Spotify still boots up as a black screen.

@hannahugs what device are you using? Android version and Spotify app version? Can you check your sd card in a pc using chkdsk to see if there is any corruption?

Android Troubleshooting:

More nonsense from me today. Start playing a downloaded playlist and once again stop-start-freeze-no-response-black-screen like it hasn't had all night when the device was idle to do its agenda. No it wants to do it when I press the "play" button...

Same here. Getting the same issue in my android phone. Reinstalled the app but still getting the black screen. But I already contacted spotify. I hope they would help us.

Don't know how you managed to do that, but I'm doubtful on whether they gonna answer: it seems to me that they are more interested in gaining new customers (who don't know about their customer relations) rather than keeping their paying customer happy...
This community is the best example: they let other cutomer handle the support for their app !!

Guillaume FAURE-DUMONT
www.ZikMe.org

Suggested posts