Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify App Keeps Forceclosing Immediately Upon Opening

Spotify App Keeps Forceclosing Immediately Upon Opening

I have Spotify Premium, and for the past week or so, Spotify will immediately force close upon opening the app. My main use for Spotify is for my phone, so I haven't been able to listen to any of my music. I've tried this toubleshoot for android with no luck: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Android-Troubleshooting-Spotify/td-p/113082

I have a Galaxy S4, by the way. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, clearing app data and cache, rebooting the phone, etc. When I tried to delete com.spotify from my external sd card from my phone, I wasn't able to, as it is no longer possible to write files from sd card with the new kitkat update. I even tried deleting it from the sd card via my windows computer, but it is write protected, likely do to the kitkat update disabling management for sd card files.

One other thing: I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with my issue, but I have recently purchased a new (larger capacity) micro SD card for my phone, which I've transferred all of my files from my old SD card onto. I feel like if switching SD cards was an issue though, the issue would be solved after I cleared the app data and cache and the uninstalled/reinstalled.

5 Replies

Hey spaceoutlaw,

Sorry to hear that. Are you running the stock ROM or not?

Also, do you have any cache-clearing or task-killing apps on the device?

I am running the stock rom, I have a task-killing app installed on the device called DS Battery Saver, but I don't have it activated.

Does it launch/install without the SD card inserted? Then we will know where the fault lies.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I removed the SD card, reinstalled the app, and it stopped force closing and started redownloading my saved songs. Thanks, Peter. I guess the problem is the SD card. I've reinserted the SD card to see if it continues working properly. If not, I suppose I'll just have to revert back to the smaller storage SD card. I wonder why the SD card is the problem?

I've seen this repeatedly now. It's the way Android is handling the SD Card. If your card came with an adapter can you put the card in the adapter and switch the 'write protect' hardware switch up to the off position. Now try and format it in a PC.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts