Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect - Multiroom

Spotify Connect - Multiroom

Hi,

i have found some older topics, which describes the function to stream music via spotify connect to multiple speakers.

These option is now available from spotify with the new speakers from phlips, teufel, etc.

But i have following Problem, scenario:

I have:

1x Teufel Raumfeld One M http://www.raumfeld.com/wg-streaming-systems/raumfeld-one-m-p9531.html

1x Gramofon connected to my older analog stereo music system

Now i can see in the android app of spotify both devices and i can stream music to both, but not simultaneously to both. (Multiroom)

As in the description of Multiroom explained, i can hear music on all speakers at the same time even a different track:

look at the philips speakers on amazon: http://www.amazon.de/Philips-SW700M-12-Spotify-Multiroom-Lautsprecher/dp/B00NME15J6

(explanation is only in german, but here is the description from spotify):

• Multi Room.Spotify Connect is now available on a number of Multi Room systems, allowing you to group several speakers in your home to play the same music. And if you have several Spotify users in your family, you can stream music from different accounts in different rooms – so everyone can listen to their favourite music.

So i can group speakers and stream music to both, but how can i group the speakers?

Is it only available for speakers from the same company so for example only group speakers from philips or teufel to a group? 

Has anybody out there a working multi room setup and can explain how the multi room option really works, because from the app itself Spotify is still not supporting Multi Room.

Best regards,

David

20 Replies

Hi, I would assume this is only if you have multiple Ohillips Multi-Room Speakers as there must be something in the Firmware to allow it to happen. Spotify Connect on multiple Speakers is not currently possible, however there is an idea in the Idea's forum requesting this feature. Funnily enough it was by me, if you look at my signiture the link is there to it. Click on it and add some Kudos to show your support as the more Kudos an idea gets the more emhasis Spotify will put on it.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

thanks for your respon, i'm still a little bit confuesd about the definition from spotify, it sounds like they have already implemented the multiroom option 

Hi, actually that's written by Phillips not Spotify. They are the manufacturer and it looks like they've created a sort of bridge between their speakers so that a single stream can be split to any number of devices on the same network. I assume one Speaker acts as the master and it will get the audio stream from the Spotify server and will then clone the input so that all the Speakers with the protocol enabled will be able to play the same thing.

This is not a standard Spotify Connect feature and is not something Spotify have implemented; it's instead the hardware manufacturer making the most of the Connect functionality.

This is however what I'm trying to get Spotify to do; but across any connect enabled device.

Android Troubleshooting:

There just needs to be an option to connect multiple speakers at the same time in the connection options e.g. where connect is in the bottom right corner

We want Spotify SimStream! Superconnect! Or give it any Name you want!

This is a mere line of code away and we would be free from any brand giving us these functions.

Please Spotify!

If you would limit this function to devices beeing in the same Wifi there should not be any problem for you guys.

Vote this post up!

Please, give us multiroom with Spotify Connect

As there are lots of people giving kudos I want to be more specific with the idea:

Most users have more than one device that can run spotify (smartphone, notebook, pc etc.)

I would like to see an option to have a synchronous parallel stream to two or more devices with the same Spotify account.

The result would be a multiroom mode as flexible as the user likes it to be.

The only on same wifi restriction is not necessary but if Spotify would fear of more than one person using the same Account at the same time this would probably solve that problem.

To push the idea even further:

Imagine of a function to not only share your playlists but to listen tracks together with your beloved ones or friends that have a Spotify account no matter how far you are apart.

Host a Spotify session and others can be invited or join in.

Imagine a open party session where the host playlist is flexible and will allow other spotify users to wish for tracks via their smartphone!

You can do this Spotify team!

I want this! Genius DeezNuts68

I would also very much like this functionality. 2 speaker setup in my apartment and I would love to play over both at the same time.

If you want multi-room for Connect please show your support here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Connect-Multiple-Speakers-Devices/idi-p/614088

Android Troubleshooting:

As far as I can tell, multi-room on Spotify using Gramofon's is now working.

I have three Gramofon's - and using the AllPlay Jukebox can group these, and then Spotify sees them as a 'single speaker' and streams the track I select to all the speakers..... Was amazing when it started working !

You need the latest firmware for the Gramofon, and AllPlay Jukebox to be on the same Wifi network as the Gramofons.

Multi room works with almost any set of speakers as long as they are provided from the same company, it's still impossible to do multi room on devices from different companies

I can link all my Philips to play at once, but can't add my Yamaha amp in to the mix despite all being Spotify connect devices

This needs to be fixed by Spotify

Try using allplay jukebox, that connect my Panasonic stereo, Sony amp and standalone Bluetooth speaker as one "unit"

Are all the gramofons connected to the same router or do you have any wifi extenders I'm contemplating getting 3 gramofons but I have WiFi extenders and it's hard to know if they work with them for Spotify multiroom audio

I'd suggest connecting to the same router if possible - I also have a couple
of extenders, but don't use them for the Gramofon setup.

I have also notices that the Spotify & Gramofon streaming can get a bit
glitchy if I am using the WiFi (or my sons are) for downloads. Airplay by
comparison holds up well for normal downloads, but also suffers if more than
80% of bandwidth is being used.

I just use a program called Airfoil, and that will stream any music to any Airplay connected device. Problem solved.

I use Google Chromecast Audio dongles (about £30 each) to turn any of my speakers into a smart speaker. You then create zones / speaker groups using the Google Home app which can then be found under the list of speakers in Spotify Connect. This is probably the cheapest and easiest way of getting multiroom Spotify into your home without being locked into a specific brand (e.g. Sonos).

!!!! this sounds like a very promising, if not like the best (& especially easiest) medium/low budget approach to my problem. i didnt know about the grouping feature and that spotify recognizes the created groups. thank you! do you have recommendations for good cheap standalone socketpowered boxes to combine the chromecast audio dongles with?

I have a feeling they will not do this as one of their partners, Sonos, is selling this function in hardware form called "Connect" for few hunder dollars.

Suggested posts