Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify - The destroyer of SD-cards?

Spotify - The destroyer of SD-cards?

So, I have been using spotify a long time, and I am very satisfied with all the songs and such. Unfortunatly, the technical, not so much.

It all started with the storage being "corrupted" atleast once per week. Which means all my songs would suddenly be gone from my offline-storage and I would have to re-download every playlist over and over again. This was a huge issue, which I thought I had solved. Unfortunatly not.

I thought only downloading about 1500 songs seemed to work. My songs wouldnt be deleted and I didnt have to download everything over again. But I found that I now used the internal storage.. I couldnt choose external storage/SD-Card anymore. This was my first SD-card. I couldnt use the SD-card anymore, all the files on the card was gone and corrupted. So I thought my SD-card was broken and also that the broken SD-card was the cause of all my songs being deleted all the time.

I bought a new SD-card. All seemed to work good, untill I had to restart the phone. Suddenly all my songs, once again was gone. I re-downloaded the songs and a day later they were all gone again. I checked to see if I could use the SD-card in a computer, but it was once again corrupted and formatting, hard-formatting and downloading specific apps for totally wiping the card wouldnt help. This card was destroyed as well. 

Bought a new card. AND NOW THIS CARD AFTER ONLY A WEEK IS ALSO BROKEN.

The broken SD-card always happens after I loose the songs. And I have had this problem with different phones as well, so I am pretty sure its not my phone.. 

Has anyone else had similar problems, or am I alone in this "SD-card-destroyer-fest". If anyone have any solutions or explanations for my problems I would appriciate it! 

14 Replies

Same problem here (s7 edge).
The sd card still working ok but i have to re-download all the music's after restart the phone. This is a **bleep**.
Spotifi team please give a solution.......

I got the same issue as you, guys. I recently bought a 32GB micro SD card and always that I try to download songs on Spotify, or the songs, when it completes the playlist's download, stops playing in the half, or the card becomes corrupted by itself or when I reboot my android phone.

I've already lost important files because of it and this situation is really annoying me... 😕

At first, on my older phone, I thought it was something wrong with my phone(Sony Z2), but know that i bought a new phone(Samsung S7 Edge) and also have tried several SD-cards I dont think it is my phone. I've read somewhere that it was android that somehow made the SD-card corrupted. But I no longer think thats an issue because i've now used my SD-card without spotify storage set to the SD-card for about a week. And as far as i can tell I dont experience the same problem as before. My SD-card is fine, I have no problems using my SD-card with any other app than Spotify.

I have also been in contact directly with spotify earlier about my songs being corrupted all the time and having to re-download everything, but they just told me the standard "delete, restart, factory-reset, erase" and so on. As I did mention to them as well I did delete everything, factory-reset and also change micro SD-card to a brand new one, but neither did help.

I really hope spotify themselves could reply with an official statement, because this problem has been lasting for almost over a year now. Or atleast the auto-deleting of my songs has been. 

Que raiva o meu também exclui sozinho, os arquivos ficam no celular mas não aparecem no Spotify. Eu uso um moto g 2ª geração, mas sei que o problema não é nele. Graças a Deus meu SD não parou de funcionar, se não nem baixava mais o Spotify.

Me too. This is the third time I have a corrupted SD card issue. Every time it had something with spotify, usually after downloading some items. Spotify froze, I could not open it, so i normally restarted the phone and voila, corrupted card.
Definitely an issue with spotify, probably when you have a lot of downloads.
As its the third time this has happened, I ask the spotify support to give some answer to this issue.

I don't think it's related to downloads. Far more likely that the cache is the cause as it is constantly being changed. It would probably be better if Spotify were to leave the cache itself on internal storage and only put downloads on the SD card. This would prevent SD cards hitting the write cycles limit, if that's what's causing card failures.

Same problem here!

I really thought it was an SD card issue when it happened to my first SD card on my LG V20. Lost a couple of photos and my phone was constantly freezing up. I thought it was the SD card's fault.

Replaced it and wham. What a relief, everything was working smoothly again. A few weeks later, the problem is back again. How did I know it was Spotify? When my phone was crawling, I forced quit Spotify from recent apps list, it ran smoothly right away. I think Spotify is going to kill my new SD card again.

Not sure if this info helps but I have over 15GB worth of offline songs on my phone in high quality.

Yup... Just happened to me as well, while transferring data from internal storage to SD card, and now the SD card is ruined. If this was a known issue, it be nice to at least have a warning message. Also went through the cycle of finding downloads gone -> re-downloading -> finding donwloads gone -> losing mobile data.

Seems like this problem goes back to 2013, there's a few other threads talking about the issue, so doesn't look like it'll ever be fixed. Time to see if I can find a spotify alternative, or try again and hope it doesn't repeat.

Same!

I moved all my data from internal storage to SD card and now the microSD is BROKEN. I saw I couldn't save pictures from Camera on it, now I can't format it. 

AND when I'm deleting everything from the SD only files in folder H:\Android\data\com.spotify.music\files\spotifycache\Storage\73 stays! 

I thought it was a coincidence, but if it's a known problem, and Spotify ignores it - it's time to find an alternative.

Spotify, this is still an issue. I've had two formats in two daya only after attempting to download my library to my card. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if I didn't also lose *all other data on my card*. Fix this. 

"SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" warning everytime I download a lot of music. I queue up like 5 playlists to download (250-300 songs), I leave my phone alone to download, I unlock my phone to find the error. 

My SD card is no longer detected by android. I have to take out my SD card, put it in my computer, and repair it with windows. Don't think I've lost any data from the card, photos are still there. 

Seems to work fine with internal storage... But I don't have much on my phone, hence why I got an SD card in the first place.

SPOTIFY TEAM, PLEASE FIX THIS! 

LG G6 (Canada) 

Still an issue, just lost an SD card with a lot of stuff on it because I tried transfering the files to SD from internal.

This, and the lack of response from Spotify, is laughable.

I used an expensive card since the last Spotify-induced card crash incident: Samsung EVO Plus. Using it for two months now. So far so good and no card crash or slow down.

I think the amount of read/writes Spotify makes to the sd card easily corrupts/degrades lower quality ones. But that's just a guess. 

I am having the same problem.  Just had my second SD card corrupted, and I can't reformat it on any device.  Both times the cache folder on the SD card has become enormous, 6 to 8 GB.  Spotify don't seem interested in these problems, but unless there's an answer I shall have to go elsewhere.

Suggested posts