Spotify app doesn't list Sonos Speaker, but Sonos App can play Spotify music on it

Spotify app doesn't list Sonos Speaker, but Sonos App can play Spotify music on it

craigmcg
Casual Listener

I have 5 sonos Speakers and a Spotify Premium account.  I am using spotify on my Android (Pie) phone and Mac OS computer.

On both devices listed above, I can play Spotify music on my Sonos speaker (called Lounge) when I use the Sonos App.  But if I use the Spotify App, the speaker called Lounge does not show up.  The other 4 speakers show up fine.

I have restarted speaker, computer, check for upgrades on all devices, etc.

46 Replies

J_Cadena
I'm having the same issue here. My spotify account is linked with the sonos app. The spotify app does not list the Sonos speaker through the "devices available".
I currently have the following setup all connected on the same wifi.
- iPhone (software version 14.4)
- Premium subscription to Spotify (version 8.5.96.967)
- Sonos OS (S2) app (version 12.2.5)

Can you please advise on what to do next to resolve the issue.

Mihail

Hey @J_Cadena,

Thanks for posting.

We're sorry to hear you're also experiencing issues with this. Could you please list any of the troubleshooting steps posted above? That way we can avoid suggesting repeating any of them.

Keep us posted, we'll keep an eye out for your reply.

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

realaisles
Regular
HI all,

I just started to experience this weird problem today.

I have 2x Play:1 and 1x Play:3.
And since today, I cannot see the Play:3 in Spotify (neither on my Mac nor my Android app). Both Play:1 are normally shown in Spotify app.

I swiped the cache already and restarted my network 

I can still play Spotify on Play:3 speaker through SONOS app.

Please help me. What am I missing here?

Novy

Hi @realaisles

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Have you already tried performing a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing trouble. 

You can also make sure that all devices are connected to the same WiFi network. 

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

realaisles
Regular

Hi @Novy,

yes,

I have reinstalled the app and deleted the cache as advised. I still only see both Play 1 speakers, but not Play 3. All works normally via the Sonos app, but this is really annoying.

I only have one wireless network.

realaisles
Regular
Maybe to add on it. Play 3 is also directly connected to my Router with Ethernet cable, and serves as a Sonos router as well.

Alex

Hey @realaisles,

Thanks for the info.

Can you try to create a mobile hotspot from your phone and connect your phone and speakers to that network.

This way you can check it they're not displaying due to some restrictions on your original WiFi.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

realaisles
Regular

Hi Alex,

thanks, but currently I only have one phone, so I then cannot steer the Sonos system, because the Sonos App on my Android does not work if I have Wifi turned off. Sonos App on Mac does not have network settings as far as I seen.

For now I grouped the speakers in Sonos app and this works and its shown in Spotify as Play1 + 1.

What else could I try? If I ungroup the speakers then it isn't shown as well. It looks like Play 3 disappeared from the grid completely and it worked normally for years. Could be because of some update?

Alex

Hi again @realaisles,

Thanks for the reply.

Play 3 not displaying might indeed be related to an update either to the Sonos app or the device firmware. You can check if there are any updates available for the speaker and enable those.

Regarding the network test - when you create a Mobile hotspot what happens is that your phone creates a WiFi network using your mobile data. You can then connect the phone, computer and the speakers to that WiFi. 

Let us know how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

Eni

Hi there @realaisles

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know that. 

In this case, would you mind disconnecting the Play 3 from your router's ethernet and connect it standalone to use it as a standalone speaker instead of as a Sonos Router?

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

realaisles
Regular

Hi Eni,

I have tried this approach and used one of my Play1 as a router to rebuild the Sonos network. It was not helping. But when I reconnected Play3 and again use it as a Sonos router, so now I can see 1x Play3 and 1x Play1 in my Spotify Connect. So now the other Play1 disappeared.

Just before trying this it got even worse - in the morning I have only seen one Play1 (and not 2 anymore) in Spotify connect. I do not know what else to do? This is really frustrating.

To sum up:
- I use 2x Play1 and 1x Play3 setup, have only 1 wireless network
- playing Spotify via Sonos app works fine on all speakers
- I use Spotify & Sonos app on Android and Mac
- Spotify Connect shows my Android phone, my Mac and one of Play1 speakers (after "rebuilding" my Sonos network I can now see Play3 and Play1, but now one Play1 is missing)
- grouping: if I group the missing speaker with the one working via Android Spotify app (redirect to Sonos App) and then ungroup them, trying to play only missing speaker will stop playing music
- I have clean reinstalled both apps on my Android, the same problem
- I have reset my internet router
- I cannot setup a separate hotspot at this moment, because I can only steer Sonos system via my Android app - if my phone serves as a hotspot I cannot connect to Sonos

Ver

Hey @realaisles,

Thanks for the information 🙂

We appreciate you taking the time to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the thread and we'll make sure to pass your feedback to the right team.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix but we'd recommend keeping your app up-to-date.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help. 

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

realaisles
Regular

Thanks Alex, I understand how hotspot works. But in order to test it, I would need another mobile, because I cannot setup Sonos network any other way than on mobile.

ecma4lz_r-c55

I have the same issue and have tried evrything listed here but still no luck.

I tried something today that made the problem even worse. 
I have a Sonos 5 (older version) and a Sonos One. Spotify only lists the Sonos One.

So I went in the Spotify app, started playing something on the Sonos One and then chose to "Group Rooms". Once I have both rooms grouped it plays. However, if I choose to remove the Sonos One from the group the music plays for 0,5 second on the Sonos 5 and then stops. Also the spotify app jams aswell and I need to restart the app for it to work. 
I have linked my account on Sonos and Spotify, updated everything i could, reset my router and said a little prayer but nothing seems to work.

My guess is that it has something to do with software for older products but i'm not an expert.

Rwrgeo
Casual Listener
I have the same problems. For me the one Sonos component Spotify won’t play nicely with is a Play:3 and is my newest component. It is fine with my old OG Play:5.

I do wonder if it is because that speaker is possibly furthest from my router though other kit eg laptop etc manages fine in the same room.

allenehuang

I've also been experiencing this issue, except none of my speakers show up through the Spotify app. It all works just fine via the Sonos app.

jack-150
Casual Listener
Uninstalled then reinstalled Spotify app and it did the trick.

Rwrgeo
Casual Listener

I went round the combination of switching phone on and off, speaker on and off and restarting app and one of those seems to have fixed things. 

Peter

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this!

We've found some useful instructions on the Sonos support site which say the following:

I don’t see my Sonos speakers listed in the Spotify app.
Your Sonos system and products will need to be linked to your Sonos Account. Once complete, the Sonos speakers will show up under “DEVICES AVAILABLE” in the Spotify app.

If you still do not see your Sonos speakers or are not able to play to them, make sure you are on the correct WiFi network, and reboot your router. If you're still unable to play to Sonos from the Spotify app after the router is rebooted, please contact our support team for further assistance.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here in case you need anything 😉

PeterModerator

craigmcg
Casual Listener
Hi. My problem went away on it's own. I suspect that Spotify fixed some problem on it's servers, but we will probably never know. As far as the info on the web site, I had already tried doing everything that I found documented.
SUGGESTED POSTS