Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify controls not appearing in notification bar

Solved!

Spotify controls not appearing in notification bar

I have a Galaxy S7 with Android 6.0.1 and Spotify version 6.3.0.882. 

Like the title says, "previous, pause/play, next" functionality as well as the album art are all missing from the notification bar on both home and lock screens. All Spotify notifications are gone other than when it's syncing music to a playlist.There's no indication that Spotify is even playing in the background other than the actual music.

I've made sure that notifications are allowed, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and the problem went away for about a week. I need a permanent fix.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Marked as solution

Like many I reverted back to the 6.2 apk which I've been using for a few weeks.

I noticed play had a new official Spotify update as of today 6.9.0-1212 (9th Nov) and I updated to it and rebooted the phone.

I took the plunge and updated to it. So far so good. Notification, lockscreen notification, bluetooth, music playing through phone speaker after headphone unplug etc all seem to be working for me. About time.

Don't shoot the messenger guys if it doesn't work for you. I've given it a real hammering over the last few hours and no issues at all.

I'm on Nexus 5x. Android 7.0 and using in the UK.

View solution in original post

72 Replies

Same problem here. Using a Honor 7. The problem seems to correlate with another problem, where the control via Bluetooth is not working. I can't skip songs using the Idrive controller of my car. After rebooting the phone, lockscreen controls, notification and Bluetooth controls fully work until the whole thing goes south again, forcing me to reboot.

I don't ever use Bluetooth except for the occasional use of a low-end
shower speaker, but I've been using that on and off for years with no issues

I have a pretty similar problem over here, whenever I tap pause on the controls on the notifications bar the widget disappears and I have to relaunch the app. I've tried changing my notifications settings, turning off and on the Do Not Disturb mode and reinstalling the app.
I'm on a S6 with Android 6.0.1 and Spotify on the version 6.3.0.882.
please help!!!

Same here... I use Spotify daily and this has never happened before. I just updated to Nougat like 3 days ago so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the way it handles notifications and DND. it's a real pita.

I have the same problem, on Android 6.0 and the latest app. The control widget doesn't show up when the app is sent to the background and I can't skip backwards or ahead from my Garmin bluetooth device. Strangely Play/Pause works.

I'm having the exact same issue, god I thought it was something I'd done!

Bluetooth controls for both my car stereo and my Android Wear smartwatch are not working at all and the notification is gone. I've confirmed that all of the necessary settings for notifications to appear for Spotify are configured correctly. 

Same here on Nexus 6p / Nougat.

I've already tried all troubleshooting guides mentionning this issue.

I've got the same problem, same version as OP.

Same here. What's Spotify staff doing about it ? Wake up, guys !!!

Nexus 4 Spotify 6.3.0.882 Andriod 5.1.1

Same issue, can't skip tracks via my steering wheel controls in the car when connected via bluetooth. When I disconnect (switch the car off) it starts playing through the phone about 5 secs later. Annoying would be an understatement please fix it.

No notification display to skip etc. on phone like there used to be.

Same issue here, on a Nexus 6 with Nougat. Also no lock screen controls, and I can't play music on my Chromecast Audio for more than a minute before it cuts out.

I have the same problem on both my Nexus 6p running Nougat and mij Nexus 5 running Marshmallow... Next to the above mentioned problems it now also keeps playing through the phones speakers after disconnecting a wired headset. Very annoying.

Exactly the same issues as you guys...

S7 edge, notification controls failing, unable to control music from within car—have to be within app.

Have so far tried every suggestion offered, including a factory reset of my phone—all to no avail.

Hopefully this is fixed soon or I'm switching to Google's own music service.

Same problem here. It started with the last update (6.3.0.882). I'm running a Oneplus One on Android 6.0.1 and this last update has started causing the notification to disappear and also the lock screen widget to disappear. Like someone else has said, this also means my car can no longer skip tracks when spotify is playing.

It's important to note that this doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes the notification is there then it will disappear. It is very odd as you still have spotify playing but because there is no notification, you have to launch the app again to be able to skip tracks etc. It also seems to cause an issue where if I unplug my headphones when there is no notification, the music then starts playing through the loundspeaker of the phone.

HTC 10 here on Marshmallow 6.01. No notification or lockscreen controls, but they'll occasionally appear after closing the app and deleting it from the recent apps pane and then reopening it.

I have the same issue (Galaxy s7 Edge).

I noticed one more thing that breaks when this happens (when the notification widget not there): If I take a phone call with my headphones the music keeps playing over the phone call (only I can hear it, not the caller) and I have to swtich to the application to pause the music while I take the call.

Reinstaling the application always fixes the problem. Because Spotify is preinstalled on my phone I have to use the "uninstall all updates" and then update from the store.

Highly suggest checking app permissions as suggested here, Spotify permissions were disabled when I updated to the latest version re-enable g fixed notifications, lock screen and Bluetooth functionality. Alternatively you can update to the latest beta (as if their release versions aren't betas anyway).
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Can-t-use-Bluetooth-controls-after-last-update/m-p/1476480/...

My issue has nothing to do with Bluetooth. I've tried the beta and granted all permissions, that doesn't work.

The only fix I have found is to install an old version of Spotify, and disable updates. I'm currently on 5.9, it seems to be working fine. Old versions can be found on apkmirror.com.

It's happens to me too, although my Android it's 5.0.2 and the device is Moto Maxx.

Suggested posts