Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify eats data when playing downloaded song

Solved!

Spotify eats data when playing downloaded song

Hello. Since 2 weeks, im facing with a very annoying problem with the latest spotify app.
Whenever i'm listening to downloaded music, spotify generates mobile data in the background, around 6-7Mb per hour. I have to switch to offline mode, othervise it eats my data. Am i the only one who facing with this problem?
(Of course, i disabled download via mobile network)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You see, they don't ever explain it anywhere, ever, but you absolutely HAVE to put spotify in offline mode to listen to your downloaded sings without using data,  otherwise it ignores the downloaded version and happily keeps streaming along anyway despite the song being stored locally,  its almost as if theyre in collusion with Internet service providers.

Really annoying.

tl;dr you have to activate offline mode or you will consume data.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Seems like we have found the solution. Since then, nothing has changed so you're right about this. Thanks.

Marked as solution

Thank you for Solution,many thanks.

12 Replies

Exactly the same here. Guess this is a bug and Spotify does actually not use the downloaded files but continues streaming. I tried to delete all downloads, get them again via WLAN, but the problem is still there.

This is a complete showstopper and i will probably look into alternatives to Spotify.

Yeah, i've tried the same you said, but still no effect.

Huawei Y6 II Compact @ 5.1.1

Spotify ver: 6.9.0.1212 armV7

So, the problem is still exits for me...

I removed couple times, downloaded the whole app, tried with internal, and external storage download, almost everything, but no solution. 

When i'm download the songs in excellent quality, and play that downloaded song via 4G, it literally can eat up to 20-30MB per music. 

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm now over my mobile data limit for the month and will have to pay overages because I didn't realize Spotify was using mobile data when playing downloaded songs. I created an issue on here yesterday but haven't heard back from Spotify yet. At least I'm not alone in this issue!

You are not the only one about the data.
IMG_20161219_003243.png

I'm wondering wheter the developers are aware of this and how to contact them. Any idea?

I honestly do not know. I'll wait for an other month and if this problem is still exists, I have to say goodbye to Spotify, at least for the premium. It gets so annoying.

Yeah,exactly what im jist after enquiring about,i remember when I first came on there was a notice telling i wot to do,i don't see it now,i can't recall if it said u can listen to Downloads by turning it Off or could listen while Downloading.Anyone Know?
Marked as solution

You see, they don't ever explain it anywhere, ever, but you absolutely HAVE to put spotify in offline mode to listen to your downloaded sings without using data,  otherwise it ignores the downloaded version and happily keeps streaming along anyway despite the song being stored locally,  its almost as if theyre in collusion with Internet service providers.

Really annoying.

tl;dr you have to activate offline mode or you will consume data.

Marked as solution

Seems like we have found the solution. Since then, nothing has changed so you're right about this. Thanks.
Marked as solution

Thank you for Solution,many thanks.

My solution has the name Deezer 🙂 They also have at least partially song lyrics. Back in the 60ies we had this already on the back side of the big black disks and later on on CD's. Unfortunately it got lost when we switched to streaming, hope it will come back 🙂

Suggested posts