Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify mobile (Android) won't authenticate last.fm account

Solved!

Spotify mobile (Android) won't authenticate last.fm account

Hi there.

After the latest update to the Android version of Spotify, I have been having issues with getting my Android device to authenticate my last.fm account. Therefore I am also having problems scrobbling my music. Recently I also changed my password at last.fm due to the security breach they experienced.

The problem is as follows: Every time I enter my new password in my Android device to authenticate my last.fm account, Spotify "shortens" the password every time I navigate away from the settings page. It seems that only the first 10 letters or so of my password is constant. Therefore I always get a password error when Spotify attempts to scrobble music to last.fm.

I have NOT experienced these problems on my desktop using the ordinary Spotify client, which scrobbles just fine.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The settings page on the new Android client doesn't work the same way as on the desktop client. After you have typed the last.fm password you must hit enter on the Android keyboard for it to be accepted. On the desktop client it happens as soon as you leave the password text field or leave the settings page. Maybe this is the confusion here? Try typing the password and hitting return in the Android client and see if it helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Well, finally got it to work.    I had tried using the android keyboard before but to no avail.   As it happens, it was a trailing space at the end of the user name that was the problem.   Thanks everyone!!

Carl

View solution in original post

31 Replies

Hey there!

We've just played around with that setting here in the office - seems to be working fine at the moment. One thought is that maybe the cache of your phone is forcing the old password to be used, and not saving the new one. Maybe a clean reinstallation of the application would resolve this?

Airhorn Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem, even after a clean reinstallation.... It started refusing to authenticate since I changed my last.fm password yesterday.

I have already tried re-installing Spotify once, but unfortunately to no awail.

I have the exact problem, I cleared the cache, data and also reinstalled but nothing works. In my case it autofills to a longer password. I changed mine as well after I found out last fm had a password leak.

Please fix asap 🙂

Hello,

Generally our desktop app fills out the last.fm password section to a longer password after confirming it - I imagine for security. It could be the same for the Android application. After the autofill, does it not scrobble at all?
Airhorn Enthusiast

No, it says wrong username or password which I know isn't true

Ditto, and says "Last.fm authentication error - Wrong username or password" in notifications.

Marked as solution

The settings page on the new Android client doesn't work the same way as on the desktop client. After you have typed the last.fm password you must hit enter on the Android keyboard for it to be accepted. On the desktop client it happens as soon as you leave the password text field or leave the settings page. Maybe this is the confusion here? Try typing the password and hitting return in the Android client and see if it helps.

I already tried that because I suspected it to be the problem but it still autofilled 😞

That's done it. Had to go back to the stock keyboard as the swipe one I was using wasn't showing a 'return' button. Cheers.

I got it to work, had to disable swiftkey and now it works.

Thanks guys for the quick replys.

ps: perhaps get rid of autofilling the password, I understand it might be for security but it's more confusing to the user since it's not explained.

That was only the desktop client I was referring to, and it only appears different after accepting the login information. I don't think there is an autofill as in "remembering" the previous password.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Tried every suggestion here.  No luck yet on my Samsung Note. 

I was having this problem and reinstalled. This has made the larger headache that it is now not finding any local files 😞

The latest version of the app does not support playing local files (mp3 files already stored on the as card)
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Thanks guys, pressing enter after entering the details solved my problem too!

EDIT - Found the issue: was editing the password repeatedly, forgot to check username which contained a trailing space. The ap should probably trim these.

Doesn't seem to work on the Galaxy S2 - tried reverting to the Samsung IME keyboard (no stock option available) and clicking 'Done' afterwards, and it doesn't work.

Ideally it would validate the login details straight away, rather than waiting for you to play a song and see if it scrobbles (you can't even rely on the 'Failed to Authenticate last.fm login details' message appearing - seems to appear inconsistently).

@rxcapasso wrote:

Tried every suggestion here.  No luck yet on my Samsung Note. 

Have you made sure you are using the default android keyboard? I noticed the solution wasn't working until I switched from swype to the default keyboard.

I hope this helps!

Marked as solution

Well, finally got it to work.    I had tried using the android keyboard before but to no avail.   As it happens, it was a trailing space at the end of the user name that was the problem.   Thanks everyone!!

Carl

Suggested posts