Spotify mobile (Android) won't authenticate last.fm account

Solved!
Highlighted

Spotify mobile (Android) won't authenticate last.fm account

Casual Listener

Hi there.

After the latest update to the Android version of Spotify, I have been having issues with getting my Android device to authenticate my last.fm account. Therefore I am also having problems scrobbling my music. Recently I also changed my password at last.fm due to the security breach they experienced.

The problem is as follows: Every time I enter my new password in my Android device to authenticate my last.fm account, Spotify "shortens" the password every time I navigate away from the settings page. It seems that only the first 10 letters or so of my password is constant. Therefore I always get a password error when Spotify attempts to scrobble music to last.fm.

I have NOT experienced these problems on my desktop using the ordinary Spotify client, which scrobbles just fine.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Spotify mobile (Android) won't authenticate last.fm account

Community Legend

The settings page on the new Android client doesn't work the same way as on the desktop client. After you have typed the last.fm password you must hit enter on the Android keyboard for it to be accepted. On the desktop client it happens as soon as you leave the password text field or leave the settings page. Maybe this is the confusion here? Try typing the password and hitting return in the Android client and see if it helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution!

Casual Listener

Well, finally got it to work.    I had tried using the android keyboard before but to no avail.   As it happens, it was a trailing space at the end of the user name that was the problem.   Thanks everyone!!

Carl

31 Replies
Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Hey there!

We've just played around with that setting here in the office - seems to be working fine at the moment. One thought is that maybe the cache of your phone is forcing the old password to be used, and not saving the new one. Maybe a clean reinstallation of the application would resolve this?

Airhorn Enthusiast
Highlighted

Casual Listener

I'm having the same problem, even after a clean reinstallation.... It started refusing to authenticate since I changed my last.fm password yesterday.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I have already tried re-installing Spotify once, but unfortunately to no awail.

Highlighted

Regular

I have the exact problem, I cleared the cache, data and also reinstalled but nothing works. In my case it autofills to a longer password. I changed mine as well after I found out last fm had a password leak.

Please fix asap 🙂

Highlighted

Spotify Legend
Hello,

Generally our desktop app fills out the last.fm password section to a longer password after confirming it - I imagine for security. It could be the same for the Android application. After the autofill, does it not scrobble at all?
Airhorn Enthusiast
Highlighted

Regular

No, it says wrong username or password which I know isn't true

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Ditto, and says "Last.fm authentication error - Wrong username or password" in notifications.

Highlighted
Solution!

Community Legend

The settings page on the new Android client doesn't work the same way as on the desktop client. After you have typed the last.fm password you must hit enter on the Android keyboard for it to be accepted. On the desktop client it happens as soon as you leave the password text field or leave the settings page. Maybe this is the confusion here? Try typing the password and hitting return in the Android client and see if it helps.

Highlighted

Regular

I already tried that because I suspected it to be the problem but it still autofilled 😞

SUGGESTED POSTS