Country

USA

Device

Pixel 2 XL + Samsung S9

Operating System

Android Oreo 8.1.0 (Pixel 2 XL)

Android Pie 9 (Samsung S9)

My Question or Issue

I have an issue where the Android Spotify app doesn't "sync" with the other instances of Spotify (Windows app, other Android instances, web player, etc.) I usually listen to Spotify on my way into work and continue Spotify at work on my Windows machine. The Windows app picks up where I left off on the Android app just fine. When I leave work and start playing the Spotify app on my Android device it picks up where I left off on that device instead of where I left off on the Windows app. Basically the Android app isn't pulling status correctly. The issue is a bit frustrating, but should be easy to resolve.

10 Replies

Hey @mnetwork.

Thanks for getting in touch.

This could be related due to the fact that you are using Spotify on your network at work. Could you see if the same thing happens if you try to continue listening between two other devices which are on a private unrestricted network?

A quick reinstallation could also do the trick. Here's instructions.

Let us know what you can find. Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

It is not realted to the network. That also wouldn't make much sense to me as Spotify is a cloud application and there is no need for devices to communicate with eachother directly. This happens at home too, it is just limited because of my workflow. As I said, the Windows application syncs and is aware Spotify play status and the Android app is not. What the Anroid app DOES do is if Spotify is CURRENTLY playing on the Windows app it will pick that up and then I can either use the Android app to control playback or move playback to the Android app.

The core issue is the Android app is not able for whatever reason to pull playback status when another player isn't currently playing.

Hey @mnetwork.

Thanks for getting back to us.

When you finish work for the day, do you put your computer to sleep, or even turn it off? You could try to leave Spotify running but simply pause the music. When you then load Spotify on your mobile device it should see what you were listening to.

Perhaps because when you arrive to work, you pause the music on your mobile device and then continue on your work computer which can see what you were listening to on your mobile as it's still more or less 'online'.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

When I leave for the day all I do is pause on the computer. I do not shutdown or suspend the computer. it is left online and connected.

It works properly from Android -> Windows, but not Windows -> Android. I also have a suspicion that the iOS version of Spotify does not have this problem, but I'd need to get Spotify on a test device to verify this.

It is clear there is a bug here and it has nothing to do with my workflow. Can we get some developer eyes on this issue?

Status synchronization between other players and the mobile player is STILL an issue to this day. Not sure how this hasn't been resolved. For instance just now I did the following:

1. Paused playback on the web player on my desktop
  2. Opened up the mobile app
  3. Mobile app showed the last song I played from BEFORE I started using the web player today

BUT, if you open up the mobile app WHILE the web player is still playing then it does pick it up. The mobile app simply does not pick up play back when another player isn't currently playing.

Hey @mnetwork

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Currently, if you want to sync your music to other devices, you'll need to open the app simultaneously on the devices you use while you're listening.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

So it is a known issue that I can open up the web player and resume playing, but cannot open up on the mobile app and resume playing?

I had exactly the same sync issue which appeared in the previous version of the app. Just have updated to the latest. It seems to be working as expected so far

That's actually funny. I just updated the app now to the most recent one and it highlighted a new feature "Recently played" feature after I re-opened it. Right now I opened the app and it did open to the last played song. I'm going to keep playing with it and see if this is resolved. Thanks for the heads up on that.

If a reply helped you, would you please consider marking it as a solution so other users can find it more easily

Suggested posts