Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Android whilst on holiday abroad

Spotify on Android whilst on holiday abroad

I use Spotify on my anroid HTC as my MP3 player, setting playlists offline when I'm on the move as to not use lots of data.

I'm going to Egypt in June and want to use Spotify whilst I'm there - if I keep Spotify offline and only listen to playlists that are set to play offline, will I avoid using any data?

7 Replies

Yes, that indeed is the case. While Spotify is in offline mode, it will not use any data.

However, there is a limit to being offline. You would need to connect Spotify online at least once every 30 days - even for just a second. Then, you can go offline again. Hope this helps!
Airhorn Enthusiast

Thank you!

Is that even with premium? I'm only away for 2 weeks so should be ok... might turn off my mobile network to be on the safe side!

Do I need to do anything before I leave or should it just work?

Listening on mobile is ONLY possible on premium.

Yes Spotify needs to 'check-in' every 30 days just to ensure that your account is still active and renew the DRM licenses to let you keep listening to your music. But as you're only away for two weeks thats not an issue. Set the app to offline and it won't use any data, but good to disable data roaming anyway as smart phones will otherwise try to constantly use data to sync contacts and emails etc etc leaving you with a higher than expected bill

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Hi I am about to go abroad to Turkey and the new update on my spotify (on iPhone) forces me to go online when first start the app up, nearly every time. I know I can turn offline as soon as im in the app, but initially it has to be online. So I take it this will cost me data roaming charges?! I don't think there is any way around it? Hope you can help.
Aaron

If I make my playlists offline can I still listen when.in france

@gillmurl wrote:
If I make my playlists offline can I still listen when.in france

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Yes, as long as you connect the Spotify application to the internet at least once every 30 days and continue to pay for your subscription from your home country. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

hi,

Im from the Netherlanda but my father lives in Egypt. I want to use his creditcard for spotify premium but spotfy dont accept the creditcard. Is there a special shop for spotify in the Middle East or something because every time I searching for spotify.com i get spotify.com/nl/ so please help me out.

Suggested posts