Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify still active in notification bar after pausing/pressing home or force quitting

Solved!

Spotify still active in notification bar after pausing/pressing home or force quitting

Spotify stays active (on Android 4.1.2) in the notification bar even when I pause and press the home button of my device. This was introduced by one of the last updates. Even if I force quit the app it restarts itself and shows a notification which song I heard last. And it doesn't appear under "active applications" in the task manager.

The problem is that I don't want it to occupy valuable space of the notification area (not the bar on top but that widget where you can play/stop the current track). And a possible second problem is battery drain.

Why does spotify force itself on my system like that? No other app has ever shown that behaviour (unless I explicitly allowed it).

I think it's a bug but I'd like to have feedback on this first.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have only seen one other post about this but I never heard back when I suggested the close button so don't know if it was resolved. Could you try reinstalling spotify to see if that makes any difference? If you still get the same thing, it could be a compatibility issue with Jellybean. Are you not able to turn off the spotify notification from the app info screen?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You can close the spotify notification at any time by touching the X in the top right. It's very faint so you may not notice it normally. The latest update will also allow us to simply swipe it away, yay!

Forgot to say: Tapping the "X" or swiping it away doesn't work either.

That's odd. Which mobile are you using and what version of spotify?

- Samsung Galaxy Note, Android 4.1.2

- Spotify Version: 1.1.2.449

Marked as solution

I have only seen one other post about this but I never heard back when I suggested the close button so don't know if it was resolved. Could you try reinstalling spotify to see if that makes any difference? If you still get the same thing, it could be a compatibility issue with Jellybean. Are you not able to turn off the spotify notification from the app info screen?

Never thought of the app info screen. That successfully turned off the notification - but also when it plays. And I like the widget. So this is a last resort, if nothing else works.

I will reinstall Spotify now and see what happens. Maybe that will resolve the issue.

Ok, that just took a moment, so here is my report ^^

I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, deleted the cache from inside the app. Everything is a lot faster now!

Then I pressed play, realized that I had to reactivate notifications in the app screen, did that, and then tested if it goes away. So I pressed pause, then the home button, and voilà: Gone! I can also use the widget to pause and then remove it by tapping the "X".

So it seems that worked for now. At least until the next update or until I download enough playlists again to slow Spotify down.

I hope I don't have to do this regularly now.

Thanks for your help, Joe!

You're welcome 🙂

I was able to solve this by going to the notification settings for Spotify and disabling "playback" 

Suggested posts