Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops playing

Solved!

Spotify stops playing

Spotify stops playing when lock screen turns on after about 10 seconds. Resumes playing when phone screen is unlocked. 

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8+

Operating System

Android 

My Question or Issue

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Jack 🙂

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Jack 🙂

Thanks Jack! While restarting my phone didn't resolve the issue,
uninstalling and reinstalling the app appears to have fixed things. Thank
you!

I am having the same issue. I have force stopped the app, cleared the cache, unistalled and reinstalled the app and I am still having this issue. I do not have my phone on battery saver and I am using a Note 9. My version of Spotify is 8.5.4.770

Same here, samsung s8+, same problem when you shut the screen off (with the screen active never had any issue). But it's actually pretty random once it stops right away, other times after 10 seconds, 2 minutes or whatever. It stops and start back again (by itself) after another random period of time. (I've noticed when playback with car stereo, so i thought was about bluethoot but it does it also with cable headphones. It's nothing network related, since it does also in offline mode. Also it's not about the phone (background apps power saving for example) since other music apps doesn't behave like that. It started doing this 2 or 3 weeks ago by itself) By the way, don't know if related but lock screen interface (play/pause and skip buttons) doesn't work either. 

So what you are saying there isn't a fix? Mine does all of that. It never
did that before it just kept playing. It is getting frustrating to stop
what I am doing and have to push play again.

So Spotify doesn't have a help desk to help us through issues like this? I am about to drop my subscription. 

Hey @mmerritt39 

If you want to get in contact with Spotify I would recommend going here on how to contact them.

Best,

Jack

Thanks!

same issue, turning on "Always On Display" seems to mostly fix the issue.

It isn't just phones that do this.  I'm casting to my stereo that is connected to a FireTV for the audio.  Regardless of whether I launch using a phone, an iPad, or the spotify web player, it will randomly stop playing.  Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes it works for an hour or two.  Spotify has a bug and there's nobody to ask to fix it. 

I've also had this issue. My Fix was turning off "optimise battery usage" for Spotify. You can find this option under Apps>Spotify>Battery>Optimise battery usage. Then select all apps and search for Spotify. You have to turn this off.

Screenshot_20190917-074238_Settings.jpg

I updated to iOS 16 and it only has happened since. I tried your advice a few days ago (restarting device) a few times since and it continues to happen. The app is also updated. Still the issue is occurring. 

Hey @clgrunen,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

This type of case is usually related to some damaged cache stored from previous versions. First, and in case you haven't tried before, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This is often an overlooked step, but it's more thorough than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, would you mind checking if it happens on a different device? This will give us a better look at the issue.

Lastly, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts