Student Premium

Country

United States

Device

Xaomi Redmi Note 9S

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify suddenly started using an excessive amount of data for seemingly no reason. I have a mobile plan that allows 5 GB of data a month. Spotify used 4GB in about 20 minutes while I had my phone in my pocket doing nothing.

I bought 1GB of data from my provider, reinstalled the app, turned off mobile usage for Spotify and after installing it again, Spotify used all my data again. I can't afford the data and I am put in a rough spot where I need mobile data but cannot have it.

What should I do?

8 Replies

Hoping to bump you up the queue with a reply because exactly the same thing has happened to me. 1GB for streaming a 30 minute podcast at low quality. Spotify has used around 3GB of data in the last week when all I normally do is download podcasts on WiFi and listen offline. Was told originally that my podcasts were 'corrupt' so deleting them would help. Which it didn't. Then I was told that I should just try and only use it offline. Which is unhelpful. I'm occasionally listening offline and go away from WiFi hotspots and then it seems to be automatically just sucking data away for no good reason. They claimed it was playlists and weekly things which can't possibly be true for that much data. It's very tiresome and we are yet to discover the solution. I never had this problem at the beginning of the year, then I joined premium and left again and it's started happening. I'm wondering if it's some kind of cunning 'get you to sign back up to premium' thing.

I got unlimited data and am observing Spotify now. It doesn't use my WiFi data much. I have all the settings correct for mobile data savings and emphasis on WiFi usage. So currently it used 6GB of mobile data and 700MB in WiFi. It should be flipped.

Maybe a developer mixed up WiFi and Mobile Data in settings? idk... 😞

How do we get help from Spotify?

I was going to post proof Spotify Android does this but I re-installed it a few times trying out different things and my mobile data records are gone 😞

Similar issue here - 24GB in one week according to iPhone mobile data stats. I listen to music in data saver mode maybe 2-3h a day only. Spotify help?

Hey folks,

Thanks for the posts.

We'd like to report this to the right teams at Spotify. Before we do that we need to try some basic troubleshooting. Can you try running a clean reinstall of the app, following this Guide. Let us know if the app continues to drain so much mobile data afterwards.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

No I have the same issue after following those steps

same issue here - 24GB in 5 days!

Hi folks,

Thanks for the reply.

Please provide us with the following info:

• Device model, exact OS version
  • Spotify version
  • Screenshot of the data usage graph from recently

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Having the same issue, 4GB in 2 days and my app is set to adjust between quality depending on if I use mobile or WiFi. I have never ever had this problem before and I've had a Spotify premium plan for years. I'm not happy I had to buy one extra GB and it's already gone for the rest of the month..my phone is Samsung S20 FE 5G. 

Suggested posts