Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't sync local files

Solved!

Spotify won't sync local files

When I download my playlist to my android (Sony Experia ST27i) all my local files are unplayable. They do appear on the phone, but when I try to play them it says ''the song is not available''.
One more thing: when I am on the computer, my phone won't show under ''devices''. 
I have followed every instruction but nothing works...
Please help!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Problem solved: bought new router. 

New router is a netgear wnr2000 v 5. Old router was, well, old; I wound up irreparably disabling it while trying to fix this. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I don't know if it's going to help anyone, but I just found the solution for me (a kind of obvious one).

Since almost every post suggests to unable the firewall, the first thing I did, was to unable the firewall of my antivirus (and I was sure I had disabled my Windows Firewall a long time ago). After six hours of searching for solutions, I finally decided to check the settings of the Windows Firewall. Apparently, I had indeed disabled the Windows Firewall for secure connections, but left it enabled for unsecure connections. I was home, though Windows thought I was using an unsecure connection. 

After disabling the Windows Firewall for unsecure connections too, the local files in all of my playlists started to sync to all of my devices.

As I said, this solution has been mentioned multiple times before. Maybe someone else is just as lazy as I was, and didn't check all firewalls.

Marked as solution

Found a fix.

After downgrading the current Desktop version: 1.0.23.90 to 1.0.18.60. I was successfully able to sync local files.

Version 1.0.18.60:

http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/23235/

Most likely a slightly updated version from 1.0.18 would work. But this downgrade soultion proves that something in the curent version is busted.

Another point I'd like to make, is that the downgraded version compared to the current one, was the only one to ask for firewall permissions upon first application launch.

46 Replies

You do need to sync those local files to your phone using the desktop client, so it is most likely the reason why they are unplayable. 

Are you following the instructions here

Try running the Spotify desktop client as administrator if you are on Windows (Exit Spotify File > Exit, right click on the desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator"). Also try disabling any firewal or security software you are running. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I am now running the spotify desktop client as administrator + the firewall and my security software are turned off.
My phone won't appear on Devices..

I have the same exact problem. I have a droid bionic. I am connected to the same wireless internet, but my phone doesn't appear under "devices". I also have the problem with the local files. And I checked and my firewall isn't blocking the spotify app. It's weird... I had a bunch of local files in a playlist I made a while back and just recently somehow I am now able to play them on my phone.. but when I now try to add new local files I can't play them. Wish I knew what happened to allow me to play some of them.

I finally found a solution!
My problem was that I didn't have the latest version of android (Jelly Bean).
When I upgraded my phone to Jelly Bean, it showed up under ''devices'' on spotify right away.
The local files was syncronized to my phone, and was playable 😄

I hope this can help other of you that have the same problem! 🙂

I have the most updated version software for my droid bionic, and I still can't find a solution. Again, I am connected to the same wifi as my computer, there is no firewall blocking spotify, and I am up to date on all of the apps. All the local files in my playlists work on my computer and appear on my phone... they are just greyed out and when I click to play them a little box appears that says "The track is not available". If anyone can help out, it would be much appreciated.

@ekrick1022 wrote:

I have the most updated version software for my droid bionic, and I still can't find a solution. Again, I am connected to the same wifi as my computer, there is no firewall blocking spotify, and I am up to date on all of the apps. All the local files in my playlists work on my computer and appear on my phone... they are just greyed out and when I click to play them a little box appears that says "The track is not available". If anyone can help out, it would be much appreciated.

Hey! 🙂 

Does your phone show under "Devices" in Spotify? 

If not, try running the desktop client as Administrator on Windows (File > Exit Spotify, Right click on the desktop icon > Select Run as Administrator). Also, make sure you are logging into the same account on both devices. If its still not working, with both apps open try forcing the android one into offline mode and then back online again.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

My device does not appear under the "Devices" tab. There is no option to "Run as Administrator" when I right click on my desktop shortcut and select "Run as...". I also tried going offline/online on both my phone and the desktop but neither of them worked. Thanks for you help though

Same problem.  Ran as aministrator.  Connected to same wifi.... No dice.  Been trying to crack this for months.

Galaxy s3

If your mobile device doesn't show under "Devices" in the desktop client, there are a few things you should try.

• Make sure spotify is running on your android and that offline mode is off
  • Make sure it is connected to the same wireless network as your desktop
  • Check your router settings and enable UPNP if it isn't already
  • Disable all firewalls, antivirus and other security programmes on the desktop computer temporarily

Open Spotify on your phone

Go to settings, sound quality

Make Sure Syncing is turned on

You're welcome.

Galaxy S5 running Android 4.4.2.  Tried creating a firewall exception for Spotify, disabling the firewall entirely, running Spotify as administrator, everything suggested.  Phone still doesn't show up under Devices even after reboots of the desktop pc and phone.

Just to confirm, you tried everything in this post? IF your PC is connected by cable, it is plugged into the wireless router (if it is separate) and not the modem?

Yes, I verified UPNP is enabled, and turned off the windows firewall on my PCs. I have tried syncing from my laptop with a USB wireless stick connected to my home WiFi, and also from my desktop pc with both a wired connection to the router and also unplugged the ethernet cord and tried a wireless connection.  Even though all devices show they are on my home network and Spotify is running, the phone will not show up under the Devices menu.

Sounds like something is still blocking it - you may need to disable any other firewalls, antivirus and security software. Try restarting the S5 too.

Have you been able to sync your local files? I'm having the same issue.

No, it still doesn't work.

Galaxy S5. Android version 4.4.2.

None of these methods work. I, too, have tried disabling all firewalls and the antivirus software. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the phone and desktop applications repeatedly. I have updated my router firmware and turned off all router firewalls and enabled UPNP. Offline mode is disabled on the phone. 

If I uninstall and reinstall the phone app, then close then reopen the desktop application, the phone DOES show up under devices. The large button on the desktop that says Sync with this device is visible when I click on the device. However, the button doesn't work and nothing changes. If I do any navigating within the phone app, the phone disappears from the devices on the desktop and never comes back until I reinstall the android app on my phone. 

The playlists that I made on the computer that are only containing local files (created specifically to try to fix/assess this issue) do show up on the phone. I have selected "download" on the phone, but the local files never download. 

People have been complaining about this for so many months without resolution, it's very frustrating. 

EDIT: I am also running the desktop as an administrator on Windows 7.

The spotify version running on my desktop is 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

The mobile version is 1.7.0.830

UPDATE: 

I visited family in another state with a different ISP, and while I was there, without me knowing, the files on my laptop synced to the phone without me having to try any further. Now that I'm back at home it's not working again but to ME this would suggest something other than the applications themselves. I don't know what else to change but thought you'd definitely be interested to know about this. There is hope. 

Thanks. 

@mediocrites wrote:

UPDATE: 

I visited family in another state with a different ISP, and while I was there, without me knowing, the files on my laptop synced to the phone without me having to try any further. Now that I'm back at home it's not working again but to ME this would suggest something other than the applications themselves. I don't know what else to change but thought you'd definitely be interested to know about this. There is hope. 

Thanks. 

I would suggest this is more to do with your router... possibly a firewall permission on your router that's blocking the connection. Or maybe your router does not have UPnP enabled.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts