Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stops playing randomly with power saving on.

Solved!

Stops playing randomly with power saving on.

Spotify songs will stop playing randomly during the song or after each song. I have to unlock my phone, open the app, hit pause, then hit play, which will make it begin playing again until it decides to do it again. I've noticed that if my screen isn't timed out and has the spotify app open and active on the screen it doesn't happen but once my screen times out it is at risk of happening again.

Someone mentioned that having power saving turned on is causing this issue and it appears to be correct. However, this is not an acceptable solution to this problem and spotify needs to address and fix this issue ASAP. Power saving mode is vital for my day to day as this new android update sucks battery up, especially while playing music. I'm away from any chargers for at least 9 hours of my day.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, I think I've solved this issue.

From your home screen, open Settings > System > Battery

Then from the Battery page select MORE from the top right hand corner. Press "Optimize battery usage" and select "All apps".

Scroll down to Spotify and turn it to OFF.

Haven't had the pausing problem since.

Photos for reference:

20160531_233913.png20160531_233938.png20160531_234015.png20160531_234054.png20160531_234145.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Bump.

Hi there,

You say that the Android Power Saver is closing the application, and you don't want to disable this. However Spotify need to somehow introduce a way of bypassing the system power saving options?

Unfortunately this is an Android system function, if you don't want to disable it or set an exception for the Spotify app then there's nothing that Spotify can do as this is all managed by the Android system.

It's like blaming a taxi service for the council closing a road. The taxi service just uses the roads to get around, the council manage the roadds.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Let me make it clear that this was not an issue before the newest Marshmallow update.

There is no way to set up an exception in power saving for Spotify. 

Also, it does not CLOSE the app, it constasntly pauses the song and instead of recognizing the widget's Play, Pause, Skip buttons it forces you to go into the app itself to get it running again. A risk for anyone who's primarily job is driving all day.

This could easily be fixed by an updated version of the Spotify app that tells the app to not be victim to Marshmallow's new nonsense. I'm not a fan of the Marshmallow update but I'm stuck with it like many others.

But the app cannot bypass restrictions set by the system. Even the open source Android OS locks down the system.

Can you at least try disabling power saver and seeing if this is the issue you have?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I did, that is how I confirmed the other commentor from another forum. I stated that in my original post. Power Saving mode on the new Marshmallow update causes Spotify to pause randomly and you cannot begin playing the song again without going into the app itself to start the songs again. 

I have this problem as well, and it sucks hard. But I agree that the solution should probaby lie in a feature request for Android to add exeptions to the power saver.
Marked as solution

Hi, I think I've solved this issue.

From your home screen, open Settings > System > Battery

Then from the Battery page select MORE from the top right hand corner. Press "Optimize battery usage" and select "All apps".

Scroll down to Spotify and turn it to OFF.

Haven't had the pausing problem since.

Photos for reference:

20160531_233913.png20160531_233938.png20160531_234015.png20160531_234054.png20160531_234145.png

Thank you for the help. THe same thing happened to me and it sucks that we cant have power save on because by the end of my school my phone is dead. I hope they fix it

I disabled app optimization for Spotify (and some messaging apps), but the behavior persists! I have Marshmallow on a Cubot Dinosaur phone.

Any ideas what to do next?

Hey @bonoestente there's a long thread on background apps stopping on this phone here. Not sure if any of the suggestions there will help but worth a look.

Suggested posts