Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Suggested songs

Solved!

Suggested songs

Hello

Im using spotify on my android phone and would like to know if there is any way of disabling these annoying suggested songs. I actually want the ability to choose the music I listen to and that is not possible when it keeps suggesting music i dont want to listen to. The problem is that it suggest 5-7 songs in a row and I always run out of skips before. So Spotify is dictating what i should listen to.

This morning I put on one song I wanted to listen to, but after ½ an hour I still hadnt had to oppotunity to listen to the song and was so close to uninstalling Spotify.

283 Replies

Specifically, I hear 2-4 songs from the playlist, the same three sponsored songs, then it stops playing.

Definitely something weird going on here! I'm asking around behind the scenes to see if anyone at Spotify has any suggestions.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey @samitefan1 -- with Spotify free on mobile we're required to have a certain amount of variety in playlists, hence the minimum number of tracks to avoid Suggested Tracks. This also means that playlists that include one specific artist a lot will also have some Suggested Tracks, regardless of playlist length, which looks like what's happening here.

It shouldn't stop playing at any point though. Does that happen over both WiFi and 3G?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I unfortunately I can only use Spotify over WiFi, as my data plan is prohibitively expensive for streaming media. It only seems to happen on that specific playlist though. I may end up deleting and recreating it.

I had suspected the reasoning for the suggested tracks, but thank you very much for the confirmation.

This is happening to me to! Though its only, ONLY on my phone. Help? 

Spoiler

Could you be more specific @musicismylift ?

I'm running into this issue as well with a very large playlist (over 500 songs). See the album below for info. I'm using the ad supported service.

http://imgur.com/a/jV560

Hey,

I have the same problem with my free mobile version of spotify. I was listening to an album of 20+ something songs and it keeps suggesting other songs. When I start the playlist I first get to listen to two or three songs from this album but then it starts suggesting other songs from different albums. I'd say the ratio is 2 or 3 suggested songs and then 1 from the album and so on. I don't mind having some suggested songs, but this is way too much in my opinion.

Did you guys already found out what the problem is and if there is a solution?

Thanks!

p.s. i've added a screenshot of one of the album and one of the suggested songs

Screenshot_2014-04-08-10-26-52.png

Adam said in his post that "playlists that include one specific artist a lot will also have some Suggested Tracks, regardless of playlist length". This also applies when you play albums so the only way to avoid suggested tracks is to have at least 12 tracks in a playlist and, probably 12 artists but you'd need to check that by trial and error as I haven't seen an official comment on this.

It's all done to encourage you to take out a subscription I guess.

Thanks Joe, I guess you (and Adam) are right. I must admit the encouragements are very well thought through, because this is just one other extra thing that would make me consider the subscription. Maybe an official comment will come later, so untill then I'll just continue to listen to the suggested songs (which aren't all that bad actually :P).

😛

Wait, Jurassic Park? That's no error, my friend.

I am having this same issue.  I understand that they will play suggested songs if you have a lot of one artist and can accept that (I have a 50 song playlist but like 30 songs are from one album) but I am going on like 10 suggested songs in a row.  It is a little ridiculous, can't they tune the system so it will only play 1 or 2 suggested songs in a row??

I also am experiencing this and while I understand why spotify would want to do this it is not how they have said that the free mobile version would work. On their FAQ page it says only that some suggested songs would be added to playlists with 12 or less songs not ones with not many different artists as well.

Also how many different artists are required on a playlist ofor it not to have suggested songs as well? I was listening to a playlist of 15 songs this morning with at least 8 different artists on it (I would consider that a fair number) though they were all from the same album, and I got 3 suggested songs after only 1 song from my playlist, all of which I really don't like, in a row without being allowed to skip them before i gave up because it was a waste of data streaming songs I don't like. 

As far as I am aware, you need 12 different artists.

Peter

Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to suggest music that we would like to listen to on Spotify. For example, I would love to listen to "Hate Being Sober Dotcom's Festival Music Trap Remix", but Spotify only has Hate Being Sober and no good remixes. 

Hey, have a read here.

@Cfd214 wrote:

Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to suggest music that we would like to listen to on Spotify. For example, I would love to listen to "Hate Being Sober Dotcom's Festival Music Trap Remix", but Spotify only has Hate Being Sober and no good remixes. 

I've recently encountered this problem a few times. most recently happened 20 minutes ago. A friend suggested a 12 track album for me to listen to. I have a free account so I played it using the  "shuffle play" option. First 2 tracks were good, I skipped the 3rd as I wasn't too keen, then I had a suggested track, so I skipped it. 4th track I liked. Then suggested track, skipped that, then another 😞

Long story short the album play was hijacked by suggested tracks and I ran out of skips to stop playing them 😞

Annoying solution is I have to keep signing out and in again.

Trying to listen to an album on mobile, and perfectly happy to do that on shuffle. (Not a Premium user).

It's got 17 tracks, 7 of which are by the same artist (not surprising as it's a soundtrack album) and after 3 or 4 songs it switched to play 12 (so far) "suggested songs." This is really irritating as I want to listen to just that album!

Any advice?

Spotify free on mobile will add "suggested tracks" anytime whatever you are playing (artist page, playlist, album) doesn't have enough variety in it (from my own personal testing you need 12 different artists not to get suggested tracks).

If you want to get rid of that restriction, Premium is the only way to go.

Peter

Suggested posts