Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Tablet mode not enabled on Nexus 7

Tablet mode not enabled on Nexus 7

Hi,

I installed the Spotify app on my Nexus 7 2012, but the new free "tablet mode" is not available.

I only get "shuffle mode" like on smartphones.

I suspect it's because of Google's decision to not enable full tablet UI on Nexus 7.

But N7 is a tablet! Please let the app act with tablet UI on it!

Thanks!

27 Replies

Hello!

Hmm.. That's weird, i get the tablet version on my Nexus 7, can you try a reinstall or logging in and out? Also, it is pretty new so maybe it will start to work soon 🙂

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

Logging out and in doesn't help. Reinstalling neither 😞

Thanks anyway...

It happens the same to me, I have a master-g g700c tablet Android 2.3 and I can just shuffle ...

Hi:

I am also interested in this. I want to buy a tablet for my mum for Spotify Free "Tablet mode". My problem is that I don't know how can I find out the brands and models compatible with the tablet mode....In the "phone mode", I only can access to shuffle play.

Is there any list for knowing what tables have this mode enabled?

Regards

JP

Any tablet which is 7 inches or above should get the tablet mode. However we have seen some issues with smaller brands not being recognised properly, so its best to stay to the main brands. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

There's no list I'm afraid and spotify support has replied to other users saying that a tablet has to have a sceen over 7" to qualify as a tablet. 

I don't know how they actually identify the device and I'm pretty sure they won't tell us as it would make it too easy to spoof and have a mobile phone identified as a tablet so, to be safe, make sure you get something with a screen over 7 inches.

Telling people to get a screen size over 7 inches or stick with a main brand (NEXUS has problem, for example) is really a non answer.  Spotify should be able to work this kind of problem out so any tablet 7 inches or larger is recognized as a tablet.

Of course, that is just my opinion as a Spoifty user.

Thank you very much. I will try to contact with several table makers.

But it is incredible. I have no problems in my iPad. But I don't want to buy an iPad to my mum, only for playing music

I got a Vexia 7" from a friend and it is recognized as a phone.

Regards

JP

Unfortunately here on the community we haven't been told or given any more details other than a tablet is 7 inches or more, as @Joe mentioned above how it detects an android tablet is probably not common knowledge to prevent people bypassing the restrictions on rooted mobiles. That being said, from the reports we have seen and fed back to Spotify the system is not 100% accurate it appears. 

If you are having issues getting tablet mode on a 7 inch tablet, get in touch with Spotify support here and they will be able to troubleshoot it further with you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

I have just sent a mail to support as you told me

Thanks

JP

I think it's very unfair, i have a 6,5" inches screen and therefore I can not listen to all the music i want. I mean, Spotify is an excellent service, but if you offer a free app for tablets, should be free for all. Or, you can specify this feature in the ads.

The theory is that tablets for a lot of people have replaced their home Desktop/Laptop PC's. This rising trend has been identified by Spotify and they have extended the free offering to include tablets.

The free mobile streaming was an added bonus which previously has been a premium only feature (although with the known caveats as after all Spotify is a company so still needs to entice paying subscribers).

The question is how to differentiate between a tablet & a mobile phone, especially with the rise in increasing sizes phones or 'phablets'. It was therefore decided that a simple cut-off had to be made which is in-line with market anaysis that anything 7"> is classed as a Tablet & <7" therefore comes under the 'Mobile Device' category. It is generally recognised that people can have sim cards and actively use anything less than 7" as a mobile phone. Once you start hitting that 7" mark though it becomes less of a mobile phone and more of a tablet.

After all, don't forget that Spotify didn't have to open up the free service to mobile/tablet devices. This move is just one way that the company can ensure it stands out against its competitors as the provider of choice for millions of users.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thank you very much for your answer mechanimal82....Well your answer is very interesting. Anyway I have some doubts

First of all. Are you working in Spotiffy or your opinion are your thinkking.?

I ask this for several reasons:

1) I know that the company needs to entice paying suscribers. Anyway the free "tablet mode", they are making ads. I think is other way of paying....

2) About 7". The nexus 7" tablet is a tablet? Google sells it as a table but it does not work.

3) About the service to mobile/tablets, well ,is good strategy for get future suscribers, but I would like to know if this is your opinion or you speak as Spotify worker.

Anyway, thank you very much

JP

@Daniel , myself and others are community Rock Stars - we do not work for Spotify. Spotify staff are identified by the Spotify logo beside their names. 😉

Peter

OK. Thank you very much

JP

Sorry, @Peter__ is correct I should have clarified that this is purely my opinion.

On a side note, the free version works as it should on my wife's Nexus 7 (2013).

Android Troubleshooting:

Thank you very much. I have a Vexia 7" and it does not work. It strange because it seems that with the nexus 7 some peole works and some not.

What I want is to buy a tablet for my mum and I must sure that works. In my ipad works OK, but in Android, it is not very easy to know wht is a tablet and what is a Smartphone. This is the problem

JP

Thank you very much Peter

JP

I'd be curious to know if those that can't get it working are using the 2012 version.

I'm pretty sure if you root/have rooted your Android device you'll probably find topics on the xda forums on how to force the app to see your device as a 7" + tablet (probably using the Xposed framework). But that's for you to discover at your own risk as Spotify cannot support any such activities.

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts