Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

USB syncing on Android

USB syncing on Android

I bought a premium subscription so I could listen to my playlists on my mobile.

Less than half the tracks will sync - apparently my android device has to be connected by wifi to my computer to enable the rest to be sync'd.

EDIT: Sorry, error in post, picked up by Brainfish - issue is that PC must be connected wirelessly to network, not the android device.

My computer does not have a wifi card.

Therefore I cannot listen to my music.

I need to be able to sync via USB, as can be done with Apple devices. If this is not possible, I would like an explanation of the technical barrier. I note that similar questions have been asked with no reply in the past, which is poor.

If this is not solved in the immediate future I will have to cancel my subscription to premium, and I suspect there are thousands of other spotify android users in the same predicament who feel that the service they were promised is not really being delivered.

10 Replies

Hi

Your phone does not need to be connected wirelessly to your computer, but they do have to be on the same network i,e. my computer is wired to my router and the phone is wireless to the router.

But, yes I also agree with you re: USB sync. It takes forever to sync wirelessly

Sorry, badly phrased question: I am connected via the same router, but only a fraction of tracks will sync.

The issue is that the computer is not wirelessly connected to the router, it is connected by wire, whereas the phone is connected wirelessly. The two devices must *both* be connected to the same wireless network - merely being connected to the same router does not suffice.

As I have no wireless card in my pc, this is not a usable arrangement for me,

I don't think that is right. My PC has a wired connection to the ocmputer but my phone is wirelessly connected to the network. I think it is only from the phone side of the equation that the connection needs to be wireless.

I actually find with my PC wired in through Ethernet, and my phone connecting via Wireless N that syncing is quite quick. At least it owuld be if Spotify actually worked on ICS.

@rferret: I assure you that a sizable fraction of my tracks are not syncing. The information box that appears when I 'pop' the greyed out tracks is that due to some licensing issue, they can only be synced from a computer, and specifically via a shared wireless connection.

Perhaps you are fortunate in that the tracks you are syncing do not have the licensing issue to begin with ?

Either that or there is something particularly wrong with my gear, rather than the Spotify/Android system generally. In either case, I need a fix! 🙂

That sounds most annoying. You have my sympathies.

But it is deffo possible to do local track syncing through spotify when your computer is connected via Ethernet. Sorry to hear it isn't working for you.

Brainfish, rferret, many thanks to you both.

I think I know what the problem is, and it's to do with Spotify's Automatic Track Replacement (actually linking), which is what seems to be the issue with the non syncing tracks.

Do either of you know of a way to easily tell Spotify to update a playlist's dead tracks with the 'replacement' versions that are linked to? Spotify will play-thru to these on my PC client, but the Android client can't cope... therefore I need to *actually* replace the tracks with the substitutes, and then sync them. ATR linking will not cut it...

If you guys can't help i'll make a new ticket for the better defined problem. 🙂

Sorry, really don't know how to do that.

Many apologies.

This is how I am connected.

PC is WIRED to the router.

Phone is WIRELESS to the router.

It does not matter whether the PC is connected wired or wirelessly, as long as they are connected to the same router. The phone will ony connect wirelessly.

When I open Spotify my phone shows up under "Devices" I check which albums need to sync and it syncs (eventually)

Are the tracks that are greyed out local tracks rather than spotify tracks?

If this is the case then these will only sync to your phone when you phone shows up in spotify and this only happens when you are connected to the same router. Again, how your PC connects to the router does not matter as long as they are connected. I have a feeling the issue may lie with your router/firewall

Dear brainfish   Thank you for all your help. I have identified the problem with being with Spotify's Automatic Track Replacement rather than wired/wireless PC syncing now. Please see below earlier reply on this topic.   Warm regards,, and many thanks,
alb.
Re: USB syncing on Android / connected to same router - SOLVED (kinda)

Brainfish, rferret, many thanks to you both.

I think I know what the problem is, and it's to do with Spotify's Automatic Track Replacement (actually linking), which is what seems to be the issue with the non syncing tracks.

Do either of you know of a way to easily tell Spotify to update a playlist's dead tracks with the 'replacement' versions that are linked to? Spotify will play-thru to these on my PC client, but the Android client can't cope... therefore I need to *actually* replace the tracks with the substitutes, and then sync them. ATR linking will not cut it...

If you guys can't help i'll make a new ticket for the better defined problem. :smileyhappy:

this is a pain but this is what you must do.. sometimes i've even had weird things happen (i think i had napster then) my files didn't like their database.. they forced me to redownload everything.

you cant just redownload the files your having trouble uploading to your droid.. i think the easiest way is to do a cache wipe.  this will delete all your downloaded songs.  as soon as you do that.. go in to skype and download like 50 playlist whatever you need.. then you should be clean.

if you need to know how to delete you cache. you can't do it from settings i just read about it.. its a poorly engineering settings config.  read this:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-clear-your-spotify-cache-and-save-hard-disk-spac-1357912561

Suggested posts