Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to Stream with Restricted Background Data

Solved!

Unable to Stream with Restricted Background Data

Hello,

I recently purchased a Spotify Premium subscription, and started using it on my Android phone (2013 Moto X). I used Pandora all the time, and never had a problem with the amount of data it consumed, so I thought the same would be true for Spotify. Five days later, I realized that I had gone through 400 MB on Spotify alone, with moderate streaming usage. I looked at last month, and that was double what I used for Pandora for that whole month!

I noticed that it used an incredible amount of background data (at least 80% of the data usage was background data). The solution seemed obvious; restrict the background data. (I did this by dragging down the notification bar, tapping the gear icon, going to Settings>Data Usage>Spotify, and checking “Restrict Background Data.”) Surely I wouldn’t need this app to use data unless I was actively using the app.

But that’s not the end of the story. I stream a song (on a 3g connection), it stops 2 minutes in. I look for a new song; the app says, “You’re Offline.” (This was an incorrect statement. I open Pandora to check; works like a charm. Chrome and Facebook work as well.) After a bit of fiddling with the Spotify app (tapping on artists and albums and songs), it begins thinking I have a connection again, and works for a few songs. Great!...Oh no! That’s a fluke. “You’re Offline,” again.

Is there something I’m missing? An obscure setting within the app that cuts down the Background Data, or something that would allow Spotify to work without Background Data. I don’t understand how anybody could stream on a cellular connection without bursting through a Data Cap. I don’t stream that much, but the background data seems to be used even when I’m not using the app. I don’t get that. If I can’t stream music without using a literal ton of data, I’m going to have to cancel my subscription.

PS: I’m on Sprint, Streaming is set to “Normal Quality,” and “Sync over Cellular” is “Off.” I have restarted the phone, logged out and into the app, and uninstalled and reinstalled the app, to no avail.

TL; DR. The app doesn’t stream music properly on a cellular network when the “Background Data” is restricted. And when the Background data is not restricted, the app uses an obscene amount of data. Is there a solution?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have the long coveted answer of how to stop spotify and pandora ect. from using all this background data! It took a while... as i asked this same question myself. First and foremost you need to understand what background data is. It is NOT in music streaming service cases wasted data. For all those who think they're getting screwed over this is the correct answer. Alter your screen settings so that it never goes into sleep mode. When in sleep mode your phone will tell you Pandora is using background data. However if you desire your music to keep playing after the 30 seconds or so before the average screen shuts itself off... then Pandora or Spotify using background data is a necessity. Just be glad they don't use. wav format. For those of you still in disbelief... look at what your torrenting programs use.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Odd, my data is as I would expect for what and how I stream. You could try disabling notifications from within the Spotify settings also.

However I would try a clean install just to make sure there's no erroneous process running... follow the below guide to get a truely clean install:

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

This is a clean install; I looked at that Guide before posting. Notifications were already off by default. And my father also subscribed to Spotify around the same time, and he is having the same problem with abundant background data usage. It was his experience with it that prompted me to look at my own data usage.

The thing I’m having trouble understanding is why the app doesn’t function when the Background Data is restricted.

There are several core services which run in the background. i.e. for licence checking etc. I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here. They may be able to tell you a little more and maybe see what your account has running in the background

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I have the same issue. It uses around 200-250mb of data in the background daily whether I stream or not.

So, naturally, i disabled background data, but now the app misbehaves in radio.

I'm on a Nexus 6, Android 5.1.1, using latest Spotify.

Same thing happens here. Foreground data is 443MB, but the background data is 2.26GB. That's obscene.

I have the same issue, but it seems to be a relatively recent thing. I've been using Spotify Premium for 2 years (and for the last 18 months on a Galaxy S5) and did not have an issue with blowing through my data until this summer, and it's all via background data. I wonder if an update was made to the app that is causing this? Restricting background data causes the app not to function. I'm not going to buy extra data just so I can use a streaming service that I'm already paying for! If anyone has anymore insights I'd appreciate it.

did you ever get anywhere with this? Mine is using alot of background data, but I looked it up BEFORE turning it off, and found your post. I am going to try it and see what happens. 

Marked as solution

I have the long coveted answer of how to stop spotify and pandora ect. from using all this background data! It took a while... as i asked this same question myself. First and foremost you need to understand what background data is. It is NOT in music streaming service cases wasted data. For all those who think they're getting screwed over this is the correct answer. Alter your screen settings so that it never goes into sleep mode. When in sleep mode your phone will tell you Pandora is using background data. However if you desire your music to keep playing after the 30 seconds or so before the average screen shuts itself off... then Pandora or Spotify using background data is a necessity. Just be glad they don't use. wav format. For those of you still in disbelief... look at what your torrenting programs use.

Nope. But t-mobile stopped counting spotify data, so...

Still, its a bit of a security concern!

Suggested posts