Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to see sort or see sorted songs in playlist in android app

Solved!

Unable to see sort or see sorted songs in playlist in android app

I started having this issue in the last month (Jan 2023). Spotify tells me to sort on the desktop app and while that works, the sort of songs in the playlist IS NOT REFLECTED in the android app. I'm a premium customer and this is really CRITICAL feature for me.

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Samsung S21, Samsung tab s7, Samsung s10e

Operating System

Android 13, Android 12

My Question or Issue

I started having this issue in the last month (Jan 2023). Spotify tells me to sort on the desktop app and while that works, the sort of songs in the playlist IS NOT REFLECTED in the android app. I'm a premium customer and this is really CRITICAL feature for me.

I rarely use your shuffle feature because is plays the same songs over and over. I like to listen in 'newest added' order.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

I can assure you that at this moment, sorting using options other than custom needs to be done on each device.

But if the main topic is that swipe down on playlists to search and sorting options are gone then let me know the App version and Device info.

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey there, welcome to the Spotify Community!

You can easily sort your Playlists in any way you like. There are two things to note here:

1. If you sort your songs in a playlist by drag & drop using Desktop then they will be synced perfectly with other Apps if you select your sorting method to be Custom. This refers to the tracks sorted manually by you in the playlist.
  2. The other options you see are different for each device. So if you sort your playlist by recently added on the Desktop, that will be only for your Desktop App. You have to select recently added on your Mobile Device as well to see it there. Thanks to this feature, anyone who can see your playlist can sort tracks in any way they want.

So to conclude, custom order is there if you want to sort tracks manually and other options are local to each device. I hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else.

AmayySpotify Star

I have been using the desktop sort by feature for the songs in my playlists for several years. I usually choose "date added" in ascending order (newest first). In the past this was ALWAYS reflected in my android app and in other desktop apps in other systems. For the last month, the order is NOT reflected anywhere but the desktop app that I set the order in.

This is incredibly annoying. If I choose custom order, it works, but this is INCREDIBLY tedious when all I want is to sort by date added. Sometime within the last month this has been broken. I contacted spotify chat and tried all of the above (spotify cleared my cache, I installed/reinstalled the app, I cleared the app data, etc. etc). All with no results.

When I started with spotify back in 2017(ish), the app on the phone used to have a sort feature built in and I could custom sort and could sort by date added, etc. In addition, I could "find in playlist" in the android app and that is gone too.

For me - this is a very serious bug. When I travel I do NOT have access to a desktop app, just my tablet and phone. I'm not sure what to do to get this fixed? I've tried reporting it but am unable to get it seen as a real bug, which it very much is.

Marked as solution

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

I can assure you that at this moment, sorting using options other than custom needs to be done on each device.

But if the main topic is that swipe down on playlists to search and sorting options are gone then let me know the App version and Device info.

AmayySpotify Star

On another thread I found the solution to this. The UI changed on me and I was unaware that swiping down on the playlist exposed the very important sort and find option. This will work for me on devices I listen to so yay!

That is great @smacchia! Thank you for letting me know. Feel free to reach out if you ever need assistance.

AmayySpotify Star

Suggested posts