Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When will playlist folders become available on Android?

Solved!

When will playlist folders become available on Android?

Hello,

I love Spotify and I use it a lot.

Althogh there are no sorting or searching options YET to sort by artist/album or to search for a specific artist or playlist (at least on the ipod) - which I find difficult to understand as sorting and search are BASIC features for most music players! - I manage to categorize my music well enough using playlist folders, at least as long as you keep working on the difficult features of searching and sorting.

But as long as playlist folders aren't supported on Android, looking through many many playlists on Android is really a pain!

Do you know what this depends from and is there any vague ETA as to when playlist folders may become available on Android?

Best regards,

Alex

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, thank you that your are interested testing Spotify.

It's better now. You can get one by visiting with your mobile phone to this link www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Download this app to your phone and watch help in installer. At least third-part apps should be enabled for a while to activate this app. Let me know how this works for you.

android spotify.jpg

What's new:

• Totally new app with full support for Android 4.0
  • Top-to-bottom redesign
  • All-new slide-out navigation
  • Even more social - check out friends’ profile pages and playlists on the go
  • Artist imagery in high resolution
  • Related artist view - available for the first time on mobile (actually not, because in Windows Phone app related artists was in Spotify from release date)
  • ‘Extreme’ sound quality setting for 320kbps listening, not work currently at 320 kbps, but will be fixed in nonbeta app
  • So much faster!

That’s not the end of it. Spotify is working hard on adding further features, including folders you asked and Last FM scrobbling, before the app goes live in Google Play. 🙂

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Yes, it's very good app and works also in older Android phones! I'm a Windows phone user, but I tested this app on my friend Android. I think the app is much faster than the older one. And yes, all those are coming too like gap and crossfade. 🙂

I wish to have this app on Windows phone... 😄

Marked as solution

Let's hope that this song won't be outdated/replaced by Eurovision 2013 or later by then... 🙂 Thanks a lot, to both of you! Oops, I've just accepted my own post as a solution. Typing on the iPad in a lying position isn't easy either.. Although more comfortable than on a smartphone. 😉

19 Replies

In future. See blog if you want a information about this www.spotify.com/blog  - it will be updated when Folders are available in Android app!

Thanks, hpguru, for the link to the blog.

An ETA would be even better than looking up the blog every few days. Knowing that we can expect folders to work within weeks or months (or years?) would make it easier to stay committed to Spotify (or not) and to continue building up playlists.

I use it on my computer and on my iPod/iPad, but when working out outdoors, I'd need it to work and to be easily searchable on my Android phone (because of GPS).

I hope that a more precise answer from a staff member isn't too much to expect.

Again, thanks for your hint, hpguru!

BTW, do you already checked a new Android Preview? Spotify is adding more cool stuff to this beta very soon before it goes public.

Just let me know, if you want to try this beta now!

Sure, in general I'm always a happy beta tester. Have been participating in closed beta testing for a well-known voicechat company for quite some time. Do you know what this cool stuff might be about in the next build(s)? I guess that the blog doesn't reveal everything yet, as long as it stays in beta? Of course, if there's anything new, I'd appreciate the opportunity of having a peek. Where would I find the apk? Thanks!
Marked as solution

Hey, thank you that your are interested testing Spotify.

It's better now. You can get one by visiting with your mobile phone to this link www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Download this app to your phone and watch help in installer. At least third-part apps should be enabled for a while to activate this app. Let me know how this works for you.

android spotify.jpg

What's new:

• Totally new app with full support for Android 4.0
  • Top-to-bottom redesign
  • All-new slide-out navigation
  • Even more social - check out friends’ profile pages and playlists on the go
  • Artist imagery in high resolution
  • Related artist view - available for the first time on mobile (actually not, because in Windows Phone app related artists was in Spotify from release date)
  • ‘Extreme’ sound quality setting for 320kbps listening, not work currently at 320 kbps, but will be fixed in nonbeta app
  • So much faster!

That’s not the end of it. Spotify is working hard on adding further features, including folders you asked and Last FM scrobbling, before the app goes live in Google Play. 🙂

All of this sounds great, the new looks, the enhanced features, related artists, of course the fact that people at spotify seem have folder integration on the task-list already so that (if I understood your last sentence right) it might be implemented in the next public build.. I wasn't sure whether there was some kind of Android limitation, but probably not, as Android imposes less obstacles than iOS. I will give it a try right away and let you know how I like it / if I stumble upon something that looks unfinished or buggy. Thanks for letting me know about this!
Marked as solution

Yes, it's very good app and works also in older Android phones! I'm a Windows phone user, but I tested this app on my friend Android. I think the app is much faster than the older one. And yes, all those are coming too like gap and crossfade. 🙂

I wish to have this app on Windows phone... 😄

Yay, so far I love it! Very clean, modern UI, fast, very nice preview of similar artists. This is a good reason to keep waiting for folders etc. To me, it seems to become close to perfect - but of course, there'll always be room for improvement and new ideas and feature requests from users! This is what makes using and updating software suspenseful as long as a company keeps working and enhancing. Is there a windows phone verson at all? If yes, how does it differ from the Android version, what is missing? Android phones get cheaper and cheaper... 😉 Again, thanks for the good hint, won't stop playing around with the beta build now, although I planned to do some work 🙂

@hpguru wrote:

BTW, do you already checked a new Android Preview? Spotify is adding more cool stuff to this beta very soon before it goes public.

You make it sound like you are privy to some secret information that there will be a new version of the beta app released at some point before the final version comes to Play. I doubt very much this is true but ... is it?

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Indeed, the voicechat company I did/do beta testing for doesn't publish betas at all, they are very restrictive with their beta testing. That's why I first assumed that the beta is closed. But obviously the link is open to anyone. Nevertheless, I wouldn't have looked for it without being pointed to it. Personally I don't mind if it's more or less secretive/restrictive.. It's great to test drive and in this case, it seems to be totally worth it.

Windows Phone app is bad, read more. But it's work for me OK for Premium price, the desktop app is good. But in Windows Phone we have already Artist view since release date and folder support, automatical option to hide unplayable tracks and others cool stuff that not available at all in other Spotify mobile app excl. Related view in Android beta.

Enjoy your Spotify. I enjoy everyday some bugs in WP, but I wait straight back for updates...

My last question: is hiding unplayable tracks a big deal? I mean.. Does it happen often that a track cannot be played? Are these the tracks that are listed in grey colour in albums? What happens when I stumble upon an unplayable track in Android, where there seems to be no "hide"-option yet? Won't it jump to the next track anyway? I've read your long list of Windows bugs. Well... Rarely have I been happier to have chosen an Android phone 😛

I've just encountered one downside of the beta: the widget is gone and the beta doesn't seem to support widgets yet. I'm torn between using the beta and using the last public version with the widget which I found useful.. Difficult choices every day 😉

Those tracks are pulled out of Spotify by artist or record label and no related tracks in catalogue to match. Those may be available again in future, who know. If those are not hidden and no option for this, Spotify just skips those. If you click unplayable track in Android, it asks to Local file transfering if you have this file in computer as .mp3. At least in Windows and Windows Phone those are hidden. In Windows user can however disable this option to hide tracks automatically.

Yes, it's gone. I'm afraid I do not know if Spotify will add this back, but I believe that Spotify will add widget to nonbeta app.

NP, Russian grannies (Very funny track) Buranovskiye Babushki (Buranovo Grannies) – Party For Everybody - Eurovision 2012 - Russia

Come on and DANCE! Party for everybody, DANCE! Smiley Very Happy

I will party with this song when Spotify release update to my Spotify app for Windows phone. Smiley LOL

Yep, the widget is missing, as are a number of other features that will hopefully reappear when the app gets to the Play store. For a full list see this thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/quot-Official-quot-new-application-beta-release-missi...

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Marked as solution

Let's hope that this song won't be outdated/replaced by Eurovision 2013 or later by then... 🙂 Thanks a lot, to both of you! Oops, I've just accepted my own post as a solution. Typing on the iPad in a lying position isn't easy either.. Although more comfortable than on a smartphone. 😉

Thanks for the link, Dave! impressive list of missing features, naturally I didn't notice much of it in the first few minutes of testing. Let's hope they'll make it back! I guess I'll revert back for the time being.

The new app is great! - Do you know if we will be able to search user playlists from android soon?

Suggested posts