Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

(Why) Is Spotify using cellular for Behind the Lyrics?

Solved!

(Why) Is Spotify using cellular for Behind the Lyrics?

Plan

Premium

Country

NL

Device

Moto G7 Power

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Hi all,
My data plan is a limited one, so I listen to (wifi-)downloaded content and have set Spotify to _NOT_ download using cellular through the in-app settings menu;
But 'Behind the Lyrics' thinks otherwise and stops functioning without cellular: What gives?
It seems horribly inefficient to have to download this every time a song is played.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for your reaction.

Reading up on the matter: I see people asking for downloaded lyrics or a way to switch this off.
Over and over...
Went through my few hundred songs; Only 1 (ONE) song has this feature (why i noticed in the first place)...
I'm ok with Spotify using a cellular handshake to see if im legit, but this is a third party using my data plan for something that isn't even half-baked.
Forcing me to set the whole app to Offline just for this reason.

Spotify is soooo lucky i only pay €5

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hey @panbrood, thanks for your post! The option to not download over cellular is only related to downloading playlists, albums and so forth. In other words, if you're not connected to a WiFi network, and you try to download a playlist, that playlist won't actually download until you do connect to WiFi again. 

If you'd like to prevent Spotify from using any data, you'll want to turn on offline mode from the app's settings. You'll need to turn this mode off at least every 30 days for it to verify you still have a premium account, and you'll also need to disable it whenever you want to sync more music to your phone. Hope that helps! 

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

Thanks for your reaction.

Reading up on the matter: I see people asking for downloaded lyrics or a way to switch this off.
Over and over...
Went through my few hundred songs; Only 1 (ONE) song has this feature (why i noticed in the first place)...
I'm ok with Spotify using a cellular handshake to see if im legit, but this is a third party using my data plan for something that isn't even half-baked.
Forcing me to set the whole app to Offline just for this reason.

Spotify is soooo lucky i only pay €5

Suggested posts