Step 1

NEXT STEP

can't find downloaded songs

Solved!

can't find downloaded songs

Device

Samsung j3

My Question or IIssue

I am on premium trial and testing the features. The ad said " download songs,albums and playlists with premium". So I tried.  The green arrow indicates the download of the playlists seem to have worked, but I don't find the songs anywhere on my phone. (In none of the folders: downloads, audio or music). Where are the songs stored?  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @MasMas,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Your downloads are saved as cache on the selected storage location, either internal storage or SD card, and you can see it under Spotify within your phone's settings. Keep in mind that those are files that can only be played through Spotify.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache/Storage

But these files are encrypted or something. You will not be able to open them with any player for playback. Accordingly, you can only listen to them on the Spotify app. Thats how streaming services works.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Hey @MasMas,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, have you already tried double-checking both your device's operating system and app are up-to-date, clean-reinstalling the app and clearing your device's cache before testing this again?

If you're still having this issue, we'd suggest heading over to this Ongoing Issue and add your +VOTE as well as relevant info or feedback.

Make sure you subscribe so you'll be notified when a fix is available!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks. But neither the ongoing topic  nor the answer is dealing with my question..  The app seems to be working fine - I am asking where to find the downloaded songs in my phone memory or my sd card. Please can you answer to that, thanks!

Marked as solution

Hey @MasMas,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Your downloads are saved as cache on the selected storage location, either internal storage or SD card, and you can see it under Spotify within your phone's settings. Keep in mind that those are files that can only be played through Spotify.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Marked as solution

Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache/Storage

But these files are encrypted or something. You will not be able to open them with any player for playback. Accordingly, you can only listen to them on the Spotify app. Thats how streaming services works.

Thanks a lot. Now I understand. It seems I am not in the target group for this kind of service. I would like to also leave the comment that in this case, the statement used for premium account advertisement is promising something that is not delivered. It is not what I consider a "download", if it's not possible for me to open it. That is like saying: "The premium account includes sending your purchased items in a gift box." - but when the box is reaching my house I find out it is not possible to open the box...
M*

Hi @MasMas

Thanks for your reply. We're sorry to hear this.

Keep in mind that there's no way to create any type of file outside the app, this is why all the downloaded content is available inside the app. 

However, you can still play it even if you don't have an active internet connection. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away.

Have a good one. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

What if it is music you already purchased and own, rather than downloaded from Spotify? I just added songs from my PC which are now showing in Spotify on my phone, but searching for the song brings up nothing other than in Spotify. Does the song not move to my phone where I can access it with other apps where I own the song already?

Hey @remydog,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

The songs saved on your device that are from external sources are called Local files. You can see all the information and the way to sync them depending on the device here.

Keep in mind that the search engine is just for Spotify songs and will not show the Local Files as they're not added in the database. However, you can search for a local file within the playlist where it is added using the sort/filter/search bar.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

OscarDCModerator

You're absolutely correct, but apparently the robot is not going to tell the truth. Bottom line is you obviously CAN'T download the dayum music and even if you could, it will only play through the Spotify app. Another form of control over the shyt you're paying for...smh. You're basically paying to just listen to the music and can NEVER really own or have access to it other than through Spotify. That's the real answer🤬

I wouldn't dare download my personal music list to Spotify!! They'll probably have access to it anyway since we don't control shyt anyway, but I  wouldn't voluntarily give them access to my phone info.

Sorry, I had issues with my bank for a while now, so I just reactivated my Spotify premium on the same device! Why is it re downloading the songs I had downloaded prior to the bank issue? Is there a way to make the app Identify the cache files on the phone? 

Hey there,

Thanks for posting.

Once the files are not being recognized anymore, there is no way for the app to connect to them.

Best thing to do in this scenario is to perform a clean reinstall of the app as described here and redownload the content for offline listening.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator

The straight up answer is Spotify & YouTube are just full on legitimate SCAMS

I just got Spotify I think its **bleep** when they say you can download it, you really cant.

I had the free version, then bought premium, no difference in what you can do, you cant save on computer to download on cd or stick, very deceiving, goin back to free

Suggested posts