Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

turning off new spotify android version

Solved!

turning off new spotify android version

I feel extremely remedial here, but how do you turn off the new version of Spotify Mobile on the Droid Bionic?  Before I would touch the menu button and then choose to exit. So far the only thing I have figured out is to either log out completely or go to my task manager to exit.  Wow, I feel dumb.

54 Replies

so this cant turn off the app is pretty much -- the goodbye spotify

I am a premiem member and a big promoter of spotify in my little facebook group of 20,000 people .. yep 20k of hardcore vintage audio nerds

well  this is it.. I cant take anymore...  we dont let apps cost Ram and Data Useage ...

I tolarated the ever changing front page filled with crap (hey I pay for this how about MY PLAYLIST as a home screen)...  

hiding the off switch is too much...  this is beyond unacceptable ... Spotify fix this or I will cancel my account and go with Slacker Premiem .. becasue they have an off switch

Just got my cool new Samsung Note 5 phone.. and installed Spotify ... now I cant turn the spotify app off !!!

I am a premium member and a big promoter of spotify in my little facebook group of 20,000 people .. yep 20k of hardcore vintage audio nerds..

well this is it.. I cant take anymore... we don't let apps cost Ram and Data Usage ...

I tolerated the ever changing front page filled with crap (hey I pay for this how about MY PLAYLIST as a home screen)...

hiding the off switch is too much... this is beyond unacceptable ... Spotify fix this or I will cancel my account and go with Slacker Premium .. because they have an off switch

had to post this here because you also hid the way for paying members to email you

I went into settings to application manager, and cleared the cache, and forced stop.   Don't know what it did to it, but it stopped.    This is VERY frustrating to not be able to exit.   I like it, and am a premium account holder, but would consider uninstalling it if fix cannot be found. 

Thank you- oh well, I cleared the cache.   Will know better next time.

Hitting back repeatedly does not exit the app. There does not appear to be an exit button. The play controls in the shade/tray/whatever allow play, pause, and change tracks, but there is no X to exit. I am using a Samsung galaxy S3 running Android 4.4.2. I am using Spotify 5.8.0.1029.

I know that it is customary for Android apps not to have an exit button, but it is also customary for the back button to exit the app. We need at least one of those options.
Marked as solution

Actually there is an X in the top right corner but it is so feint that you wouldn't spot it unless you look hard. Of course, in line with android guidelines it doesn't actually close spotify but sends it to the background. As has been said before, android doesn't believe in closing apps but supports sending them to the background and leaving the OS to manage RAM.
@PaulAlbany wrote:
The play controls in the shade/tray/whatever allow play, pause, and change tracks, but there is no X to exit.

Great.. so thats not a law.. why dont you just give people an option

I have found that when im bouncing around at work too often it starts
playing .. i have resorted to reboot my phone after ever spotify use

Its about options.. dont dictate how people should use there apps..

Some of us have already opened are slacker premium account and will be
leaving spotify.. because its becoming a pain in the **bleep** to use

PaulAlbany,

I figured it out. For those with no x in the top right corner when looking at the app running in your notification drop down, when paused just swipe it to the right.  Poof, problem solved.

Review: Backout to where the app is only in the dropdown notification.  Pull down the notification bar, pause, and swipe Spotify to the right.  You can also pause it before you backout as well.

You gotta love when Community Legends just repeat themselves over and over as if the person with the problem didn't try their suggestion.

This does nit work on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I updated to the latest version of Spotify recently and now I have to forceclose it in order for it to stop draining my battery. And it does drain the battery significantly if it is open for long periods. I close the app but it stays in my notification bar, clicking the x does nothing, swiping to the left or right does nothing. I force close and it goes away. I used to be able to just put my phone in sleep mode and spotify would close.... this is a pain in the **bleep**.

... the ONLY way i have found to be sure its closed and not just paused
waiting for me to bump my bluetooth and have start unwanted streaming is a
phone reboot

That is now my normal practice.. when ever i am done with any streaming
service.. spotify slacker youtube.. reboot.. it is the ONLY way i have
found to clear the memory on new androids

This is because you really haven't closed the app, you have only relegated it to standbye. It is still eating up your battery and it is still running in the background. Hitting the X does nothing and the music still plays. Sure you can hit pause but it's still running you just don't hear it. It's still draining your battery.  I even have an app killer that doesn't stop it. Thanks for trying but this isn't a real answer.

Yeah.. i have resorted to always reboot the device after using spotify

Im not sure why but it seems this company is stuck an has not done any
significant work on its interface in a long time..

Its like window media player.. bloated and awkward due to lack of ability
for user customization

Here is our group HiFi audio streaming.

https://facebook.com/groups/2053982141494626?_rdr

Hi...it seems the only way is to go into library and then you see a settings icon on top right hand corner...then click log out

Driving me nuts. I want an app that I choose to turn on or off - not one that can start up because my wife starts the car in the garage outside and BT connects. I do need BT on for other important functions, so no, don't say turn BT off.

If I can't turn Spotify on manually when I want it, then off again (manually) when I want, and for it never to work it out for itself, it means uninstall it.

BTW tried som third party apps - they are pretty much uselss - Spotify still opens on BT connect, all they do is put it on pause.

Friends put me on to Spotify which I use on my less than average TVBOX with very little memory. The only way I can exit the program is by turning the whole thing off and rebooting it which takes ages. Looks like people have been complaining about this for 7 years and nothing has changed. 

Sorry Spotify, but I'm uninstalling, simply not worth the hassle. 

Suggested posts