Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Please make genderstar in german language optional

Hello Team,

as i wrote in the subject, i would like to request you to create a second kind of german language setting, one "traditional german" option and one "gender sensitve" option for those who like this more than the traditional german.

For me i have to say that the gender sensitive variant of the german language is really hard to read and gives with every star within the words an opstacle.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thomas

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Melancholia1

Why is this still closed, it has so many upvotes? Most Germans hate this gender nonsense, no matter if male/female or young/old. And it is not correct grammatically. Why the indoctrination? Remove it, the majority does not want it.

Herrscherhak

Hi Xiers,

a lot of german user ask you to change or remove die faulty german translation. You really know, that more than 86% of german citizen don't want this dictated language. 

Anyway, even if you are not interested in your customer - I have to point out serious mistakes within the non-existent language (see image):

1 and 2:

Incorrect - Freund*innen-feed

Correct Freundin*innenX Feed
Freundin:innen is a new style of WDR and Feed is not German.

3:
Incorrect - Follower*innen
Correct - they/them Follower 

Here also ... mixed EN with DE is nearly a crime

4.  If you want to address all genders, please address the person as well. When writing letters, the address is capitalized. That's respectful.

Please get professionals to translate and not unskilled temporary workers.

Spotify_Premium.png
Benno22

Just to be clear, I don’t want indoctrination, so I’m closing my premium account until you switch back to standard German language.

Sad to see that Spotify don’t take care of their  customers. 86% of Germans are against gendering.

burfie153

Yes. I think users can expect to have the chance to choose between "German (traditional)" and "German (gender)". In my opinion it is simply discriminatory and pretentious to make this decision for mature users.

Slytzel

There is a proclamation of over 300 language experts, including some of the leading ones regarding the German language, where they are speaking out against the so called "genderneutral speach".

https://www.linguistik-vs-gendern.de/

Also there is a new survey by civey that shows the rising opposition against this form of writing and speaking.

2022-09-04.png

AndreasHe

Make it optional!

I had to change my whole android to English to avoid seeing this stupid (wrong) German.

Sacer

Even though this idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Please-let-me-disable-the-stupid-Genderstern/idi-p/546... got closed with a reference to another closed issue here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Other-Please-make-genderstar-in-german-l...

I just want to open it again. The approach of ideologized language does not fit the valid rules of the german language and therefore it disturbs the whole experience with your service if language settings are set to "German".

Please understand that noone want's to cancel that custom version of the german language a minority of people share and use (it's actually only 10% of the population). We just want to have the native german language added back as an option. This wouldn't be so hard as you only have to remove everyting like "*innen".

I'd volunteer for the job of i18n that, if it's a matter of staff costs.

Just don't ignore over SEVENHUNDRED upvotes for that idea!

Please consider that idea. It's not hard to implement and would make the experience of Spotify better for the majority of your german customers.

Thanks!

inb4: I'll open that idea again, and again, and again. So please at least TRY to dialogue with us.

Sacer

What's so hard on adding another optional language? Just add native german language!

jhoos70

It is not hard. They do not want to because they do not want their users to have a choice. They believe in doing the right and just. They want to indoctrinate.

blechmusi

In the meantime i found my Peace with this issue by canceling my Spotify subscription.

There are other streaming platforms out there that work great (t...l)