Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Changing Artist Name

Solved!

Changing Artist Name

Hey,

Recently I added myself to Spotify for artists and was curious, I put my artist name in as iiiQ. Now I have been verified but yet the name is displayed as Iiiq which in my opinion looks a little weird. I also have distrokid as a distributor, I was looking to get pointed in the right direction to get this changed! Please let me know if you have experienced anything along these lines or know something that could help! 

Thanks,

iiiQ 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out.

To update your artist name, your label or distributor (DistroKid, in this case) needs to submit a metadata update to Spotify. It’s best to reach out to them to ask them to do so.

Spotify is unable to make these changes manually since they display music according to the metadata delivered to them.

Once Spotify receives the updated info from your label or distributor, the changes will be reflected on their side as soon as possible.

Thanks!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out.

To update your artist name, your label or distributor (DistroKid, in this case) needs to submit a metadata update to Spotify. It’s best to reach out to them to ask them to do so.

Spotify is unable to make these changes manually since they display music according to the metadata delivered to them.

Once Spotify receives the updated info from your label or distributor, the changes will be reflected on their side as soon as possible.

Thanks!

MaximSpotify Star

Hey @MAXIM,

First off, thanks for replying to my post. Thats my issue I didnt submit it through Distrokid, I applied to Spotify for Artists via the online account set up. When I input the name as iiiQ it for some reason it automatically changed it to Iiiq. Not sure if this is an issue with how artists are allowed to create names or just my computer but I did it both via iphone (safari) and using chrome. Yet it still put Iiiq... I can contact Distrokid about changing it but I have not even uploaded anything yet, I was setting it up for a project release this month. Also my name for Distrokid is iiiQ so will my spotify name change when I do upload something? 

- iiiQ

Just to double check, can you please post the URI and a screenshot of your artist profile?

Thanks.

MaximSpotify Star

Here ya go! I asked Distrokid to submit a Metadata update but not sure if it will change the way my artist name is displayed. 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4BHUW8RD1xXgK3k5LVGnzi

Thanks

iiiQ

Spotify Artist Profile Screenshot.PNG

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! If you have any questions after reaching out to your distributor, give Spotify's artist team a shout at https://artists.spotify.com/contact.

MaximSpotify Star

I'm having a similar issue. I want to confirm that my verified status will not be lost if I change my name thru my distributor, in this case, Tunecore. Can you advise?

Hey I submitted my request for the name change through my distributor (Distrokid, Tunecore, etc.). I did not lose my verification status when it was updated. I am unsure of Tunecore's policy on metadata updates but if you reach out to them I'm sure they will be willing to give more details! 

iiiQ

Hi iiiQ, I've got the same issue with my artist name and i have a question that how could you submitted your request to DistroKid? Via email or any place on distrokid site.

Thank you very much!

Hi Maxim, 

If DistroKid sends you metadata to change an existing artist name say from "John" to "John Smith", and say "John" has 100k streams collectively on his songs.

When the name changes to "John Smith" will the number of streams remain the same or will they be reset to 0?

hello i’m also in need of help regarding that 

Hey I have a similar problem. My distrokid is set up perfectly. Though I made a mistaken and one of my letters on Spotify is lowercase. While doing my Spotify artist page. Is there a way to edit that?

I never had an issue with setting it up on Spotify for Artists, once I had released material already the name was listed from distrokid and I was able to 'claim' my account. Also you may need to check distrokid to make sure you selected to the "preserve non-standard capitalization" for your artist name. If you are not sure you should be able to check using this www.distrokid.com/captool

Hello, iiiQ, would you give me a great help if you can give me the contact with Distrokid to request the change of artist name, I have two artists and one no longer exists, and I need to change the name to be able to upload new music, thanks!

me too

Aye I went through the same thing and here’s how I managed to do it. You have to, sadly release a track on DistroKid before u can re-edit ur name. To do so you’ll have to go in edit release and then change ur artist or band name. Just be careful though because if u already have daily listeners, Spotify will just create a new account and you might lose all of em. 

Good luck 

-Playboy Demon

this is what happened to me but I do not mid the listner part, did you end up getting your blue check back? All my music switch to my new artis named profile but my blue check is still on my other old name with no music. Do I hace to reclaim my artist account or just wait?

Hey @Morey ,

You'll need to claim the new artist page as well. Waiting won't help in this case 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

how can I submit a metadata update to Spotify?

@TheNEUTRONgamer,

Please reach out to your label or distributor to fix issues with:

• Artist name
  • Release title
  • Artwork
  • Live date and release date
  • Track order
  • Country availability
  • Explicit lyric tags
  • Your role on the music (main artist, featured artist, or remixer)
  • Songwriter/producer credits

Your label or distributor needs to send a metadata update to Spotify with  the right info.

Spotify can’t change this manually on their end because they show music according to the metadata sent to them.

MaximSpotify Star

Suggested posts