Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Desktop app for Windows crashes ON EVERY STARTUP

Desktop app for Windows crashes ON EVERY STARTUP

And it has done for YEARS. It's clockwork, EVERY time I start it it freezes and I have to manually close one of the FOUR (!!!!) processes in my task manager. It did NOT do this back in the day and I've had Spotify since it came out.

Yes I do have a lot of playlists but I've always had that, since Spotify still haven't figured out basic comprehensive library functionality. 

Does anyone else have this?

11 Replies

Hey there @horekuk,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We're happy to help.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

First of all. I have clean installed the app numerous times. Like I wrote, this has persisted for years.

Second, try a different internet connection, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Not only do I not have that because I am on a desktop computer without wifi, so no, I can't. But even if I could, HOW IS THIS A SOLUTION? WHO HAS MULTIPLE INTERNET CONNECTIONS????

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, I'm sure you mean well but FFS!!!!

Hey @horekuk

Thanks for getting back to us. 

If a clean reinstall didn't help next thing you can try is cleaning up the hosts file on your PC. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that.

In case you see no difference after performing this step, try logging in to your Spotify account on a different device just to check if you observe the same. If this doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up-to-speed with any software updates available.

Keep us in the loop here. 

I guess I should have mentioned, that after I force close the app, when I start it up again it starts up just fine, so I don't know if it's a cache problem, you'd think the problem would be the same the next time I run the app?

Btw, it's not that I'm impatient or anything, it just won't load even if I wait ten minutes.

So, it seems buggy. not... cache-y, if you get what I mean.

Hey there @horekuk,

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Just to confirm, have you followed the steps @Ivan sent to clean up your host files? If so, let us know if that made the difference. 

Another thing you could try is running the app as administrator to see if you notice any difference. 

On another note, we suggest that you check your firewall and antivirus to make sure Spotify is set as an exception on both.

Keep us posted 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Sigh.... That link you sent was for the web player, but I did follow the steps anyway, and there was nothing.

Hey @horekuk,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

The steps that @Ivan sent is useful for the desktop app as well.

Can you let us know if the same behavior occur if you download Spotify from here

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'll give it a go, any chance this could be resolved with the new design that is being rolled out in a week or so? Is the codebase the same?

Hey @horekuk,

Thanks for the reply.

We don't have much official info regarding the back-end side of the app and whether it's the same as before.

But with the new client the devs intend to resolve more common issues which affect some users and their particular set-ups.

So it's always a good idea to keep your app on the latest update.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Quick update, so far it's looking promising after I downloaded that version from that link. So, yay.

Suggested posts