Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Discover Weekly is very stale

Discover Weekly is very stale

Plan Premium

Country USA

Device iPhone 12

Operating System iOS 14

The Discover Weekly algorithm seems to have decided I'm a sleepy white hipster. Gives me a boring and narrow range that doesn't nearly represent the diversity of my library. Had a similar problem with Daily Drive recycling the same couple songs over and over and someone posted that clearing cache was the solution. Is there a similar way to get Discover Weekly unstuck?

6 Replies

Tru_g -

Thanks for dropping by the developer's forum!!

The Discover Weekly playlist is designed to generate a new playlist of music based on your listening habits. It takes the artists you've listened to and the artists you've followed and tries to match songs, new and old, into a playlist you will enjoy listening to.

Currently, there is no way to 'reset' your Discover Weekly playlist. My preferred method of updating your Discover Weekly playlist is this:

-- For one week, as you listen to Spotify, use only the 'hide song' option, DON'T use the heart icon on ANYTHING --

Instead of clicking the heart on songs that you like, switch it up and try hiding the songs you don't like or don't want to hear on this playlist.

1. click the ellipses (...) on the right side of the track on Discover Weekly

2. select 'hide song'

If you want to remove an artist from the playlist entirely, you can use these steps:

1.  click the ellipses (...) on the right side of the track on Discover Weekly

2. click 'View artists', then click the artist name you want to remove

3. on the artists page, click the ellipses (...) and select "Don't play this artist"

4. if you ever want to add the artist back, simply navigate back to the artist page and click the heart

Once again, thanks for stopping by the forum!! If this method works for you, swing back by and drop a like so others can follow along too.

Disclaimer: I am not a Spotify employee (although I would love to be one!!), simply an avid music listener and Spotify lover.

Hi Tru_g!
I too have a very narrow range of tastes as I curate old 90's J-pop. I would recommend making a small playlist of tracks that you do like, and Spotify will recommend songs below the playlist similar to that in the playlist. Make sure it's from multiple different artists and albums. Also, check out the "Fans Also Like..." section of artists you like. That will show you similar artists who have featured or are similar to artists your favorite artists. I have the same problem when finding music!

I am experiencing the same , my discovery weekly just focusing only on classic rock which I listen, but it just turned to a daily mix list and not a list for discovery . Besides classic rock  I also listen a lot of prog rock , rock in Spanish,  hard rock, jazz and other genres which are not reflected at all in the list.

Once I used to wait for a new  discover weekly, in the last months I just don't care and in some cases I don't even listen to it

Hi @diegoperl,

Thanks for the post.

We'd recommend listening to more music via the Search tab or through Genres. If you listen to music primarily through Daily Mixes and other recommendation plalists your algorithm wont update as often.

Hope this info helps.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I mostly listen to albums and not to daily list, also I use a lot the search to look for artist so you answer is not relevant

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your replies.

Please note that also allows you to discover new songs from artists you've listened to, so seeing names you already are familiar with here and there is actually expected, as they are generated by an algorithm, which is referencing those based on your current pool of liked content, thus tipping you that there is a strong match with the recommended title and your preferences.

Hope this clears things up.

Take care!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts