Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How to get Spotify to stop recommending Christian music every Sunday?

How to get Spotify to stop recommending Christian music every Sunday?

Every Sunday, Spotify gives me the "Happy Sunday!" rack loaded with Christian music playlists. I'm not into Christian music, am not even Christian. Is there a way to disable it?

28 Replies

@mnadig

Hello:

Are you referring to the Browse page that shows content based for just Sunday? I think this all depends on what listening region one is in on the Spotify service, but I get both Xian offerings as well as secular offerings of curated Spotify playlists, like the Gameday curated Spotify playlist that is highlighted for Sundays.

Can you provide screen shots of the rack of Happy Sunday! that you are seeing with the Spotify app? You might have to do more than one screen shot from the app you are using, as the rack has arrow page controls left and right on the desktop app, and scrolling right and left for mobile apps.

Just want to add that I get this too. I listen 75% electronic/club/house, 24% pop, 1% other (but NOT christian music). Yet, Spotify keeps recommending Christian music to me on my home page. Christian music has a whole rack on my home page, along with "you might also like". Can we just completely block a whole genre or something?

I agree. I would like to limit/block these from showing up every Sunday, but haven't found a way to do that. Is there a way to mark certain playlists so they don't ever show up? Thanks!

Exactly my problem too. Did you figure out how to remove that genre from the browse menu?

I agree.  This is infuriating and may lead me to cancel my Premium account

Yes please, Don't want to hear it. Please stop recommending it. They just need a click box for Christian playlists or not under settings. 

I have been asking this question since last year, how can I PLEASE stop Christian music and Country from popping up?

I never have, do not currently, and will never, ever listen to either genre.

Please give us an option in setting to block this, as your algorythms are obviously not working properly.

Thank you.

Bump for this.  Spotify, please allow me to remove christian music from my browse.  It sucks.

yeah i agree with you all and the fact you cant even use the report option on their playlist is crazy too. hope they consider doing this for us all soon.

There are some possible features for spotify  in the ideas section that need votes which would let you manage or reset you taste profiles fyi

Not only the recommendations, we're finding that christian music is showing up on our radio play - even when it's EDM, Downtempo, Metal, etc. I'm seriouly not christian - and want nothing to do with it. It's weird to be forced to listen to religious music. Is there a bent within Spotify to push a christian agenda? Me and my partner sure are getting that feeling, and it's time to cancel the family account and go back to Apple!

This is indeed infuriating, the similar songs after a playlist ends is nice, but not when it forces me to listen to christian music, my playlists seriously do not contain any christian music at all, I hate christian music, I never listen to it, yet it's EVERYWHERE.

Completely agree.  EVERY SINGLE TIME I stray from music I've explicitly chosen, it starts playing Christian music.  And there is no way to disable it.  Every time I try to branch out using "radio" based on something I DO like, it goes STRAIGHT to Christian stuff.  Any stations, whatever.  It all diverts to Christian music.  I've tried thumbs-down and skipping through, and nothing makes it stop.

I DO NOT WANT CHRISTIAN MUSIC EVER NO MATTER WHAT.  I am SO TIRED of having a good time, listening to some music, getting my work done, and then suddenly realizing it's back to Jesus-oh-sweet-Jesus-and-the-baby-angels.

JUST STOP IT, SPOTIFY.   We need a way to turn off stuff we hate, or some other service will do to Spotify what Spotify did to Pandora.

I finally resolved my problem forcing religious music on me for way too long. I canceled a month ago my subscription and moved to Google music.

So far I'm happy, more music choices I like and I dont feel misled all the time. Multi device control of play stream was  ice with spotify, but the better casting support and selection of music makes up for that.

Is there a solution for this yet?

When I ask my google home to play the alphabet song for my baby, google assistant usually finds something reasonable. But then for some reason, Christian songs show up in the queue afterwards when it starts the radio! That's so presumptuous! I don't want any religious stuff on my baby's playlist!

Just alphabets! and speckled frogs! and maybe a noble duke of york!

I don't know what happens in terms of Christian music being inserted into radio streams, but something in the U/I changed that makes it such that I don't see any recommendations relative to religion on Sundays (thank you Spotify!).

I would agree, however, that if Spotify ever did play Christian music without my explicitly selecting it, I would be very upset.  Ideally, there should be a way to tell Spotify that you NEVER want to hear music of one type or another.  That seems like a very simple algorithm to deploy.

bump - this is still happening.

I investigated:

some weeks ago my girlfriend wanted to hear relaxed piano music, which is plenty to be found on spotify so I chose a couple playlists/radios. Chill.

One of them contained some so called "prayer music" - some of those apparently in the morining (Sunday? someone else mentioned sundays). Also it seems some people do prayer/bible studies with relaxing prayer music.

Also, when in the car, Spotify goes to "driving view" which doesn't allow me to see the content of playlists, only the names of them so I accidentially played some of those prayer tracks while driving.

The Spotify algorithms then decided to be smart and now every second recommendation is "the lord is great" , "there be a mountain", "the word of the lord" and more stuff. It feels like a cult now. Not amused. Only because my girl wanted to hear piano music.

I tried getting the "thumbs down" button in the classic spotify to re-train the algorithms but it is only available when in Android Auto/Driving mode.

Now here is the kicker: She has a history with abuse from her "bible study" group which makes this all the more awkward. I don't care about christian themes as long as the music is good but for her it ruins the mood, the day and therefore mine, too.

@Spotify, please, how to downvote/un-train/remove certain things from my selection/recommendation? This is impacting my life on too many levels for a premium service. They say "just don't play the songs" but all my "daily mixes" and recommendations are full of it.

thanks

Andreas

Me too plus I don’t like on the main screen on the iPhone app how it forces podcast **bleep** as first offerings. The popular playlists and music. I do NOT listen to popular / pop too 40at all. My new release Playlist is buried down the screen and the buried again in the section Spotify defaults to.

I subscribe to iTunes too, the recommendations are way better and podcast are a completely separates app, deleted from all my devices so you don’t even have to deal with Spotify brainwashing and force feeding you **bleep**.

If it wasn’t for my 3 year old son using the app I’d end my account and stop
Paying these ppl to aggravate me

When is Spotify going to fix this! This thread was started two years ago with people consistently posting on this thread over the years. So why the heck has spotify done nothing!

Is it too much to ask to remove recommendations I hate? 

I am NOT religious I have not listened to a single christian song in years so why the **bleep** is it STILL on my home page! 

I am this close to ditching spotify and going to apple music. Have had enough. 

Suggested posts