Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Michelle Shocked?

Michelle Shocked?

Hi

Does anybody know why there is no Michelle Shocked albums on Spotify in the UK? It seems very strange.

Mal

14 Replies

Hi there @morsoft,

thanks for reaching out !

We want all the worldโ€™s music and podcasts on Spotify, but availability can vary over time and between countries, depending on the permissions from rights holders.

We add new content to Spotify every day, so if you canโ€™t find something youโ€™re looking for right now, it may appear (or reappear) soon.

Hope this helps

I've been wondering the same thing. When you google why not, it brings up a list of Michelle Shocked's songs that are on Spotify. I really want to hear The Campfire Tapes.

Hi @kathkilker and @morsoft,

I wanted to add that you can always use the "Local Files" feature to add your own content to your app.

In order to learn how to do it right, please make sure to check out this help page.

On top of that, you can read this Spotify Answer on adding artists/songs to the Spotify app.

Hope this helps as well ๐Ÿ™‚

According to Now Toronto magazine, November 13 2019 issue, Michelle Shocked is protesting Spotify.

https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/artists-vs-spotify/

I may need to get my record player repaired.  Her stuff isn't on YouTube, either.

Thanks for the information. 

PITY-COME A LONG WAY IS ONE OF THE GREAT SONGS.

It's not just in the UK. I can't find her music in the US, either. She's not on Apple Music, either. I know some artists have a reaal beef with the music streaming services. Is she one of them? I really want to hear the Short Sharp Shocked album.

The article https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/artists-vs-spotify/ says she is protesting Spotify.  I purchased a used CD player last week and the first CD I put in was one of hers.

Praise the Lord I kept my CD player. I purchased an old car with a tape player. I have her tapes.

I think Michelle has always been fighting โ€œthe Manโ€ in one way or another.

• I was at a โ€œKind Hearted Womanโ€ performance in Sydney in 1990-something and got to see her again afterwards at work! 

They were selling the โ€œKind Hearted Womanโ€ CD at the performance and I think there was some problem with the record company.

Back at the hotel, Michelle - guitar in hand - flanked on either side by a hairy fiddle playing beardy were engaged in a discreet session for their own enjoyment as they waited for a nightcap.  Huddled as if trying not to attract attention as they played for each other. It was like seeing the Chieftains in a little session playing for their own pleasure.

Update: It's always worth keeping our CD collection as networks often have issues and tracks disappear from - or are never added - to Spotify, Tidal, Apple etc.

I found the old Michelle Shocked CDs and imported them to a Bluesound "Vault" then put the CD into storage. I live in a small apartment. Shelves and bookcases on all for walls of a room can make the room feel six inches smaller on all sides precipitating a claustrophobia not unlike the Star Wars garbage compactor.

Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think it goes well back to the 1990s when Michelle came to Sydney. They were selling home-made CDs at the show.

I think record companies are soul crushers... and online stores like Apple take a huge cut of sales. 

Companies that become so huge they become part of the social fabric need to be  transferred to less greedy and financially responsible public ownership - profits invested in R&D and also back into the Artistic community. 

Democracy worldwide is privatised and most people seem oblivious to our first-world feudalism based on a rental economy. Many of course are born into this state of affairs and see it as normal. 

European Feudalism came before the time of the Enlightenment and Renaissance. Sometimes we assume if super-rich are doing well even in times of pandemic, the tide will float all boats and life improves for all of us in a progressive fashion over time. How is his working for most of the world population? I just see a new and parasitic feudalism with a smily face. A corporate owned democracy.

Rome fell and the Dark Ages followed as Catholicism became the means of suppression of free thought. 

A supervisor at the time said "enough of that hillbilly music already" when I was temporarily replacing someone in the music department of a department store and piping my music through the whole store. ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe it was just misguided urban myth, but did she not get into a whole heap of trouble back about 2013 by virtue of some sort of religious conversion she underwent and said some very homophobic things? I seem to remember this in the news, she was "no platformed" which is what being cancelled was called back then?
Many content providers stopped carrying her work then

https://www.grunge.com/390773/the-comment-that-destroyed-michelle-shockeds-career/

Suggested posts