Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Mixtapes

Solved!

Mixtapes

will we ever see mixtapes by artists such as hip-hop artists on spotify? i mean will spotify only host official albums

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well the problem is that we can only provide content licensed from the labels.

Unofficial mixtapes and bootlegs etc. wouldn't be part of any official release so we wouldn't be able to make them available I'm afraid.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

They are official mixtape releases...mixtape music is legally free so im sure spotify can use it...plus mixtapes sometimes have better songs than those on albums. Richard look at these recent ones from popular artists.  

http://www.datpiff.com/Meek-Mill-Dreamchasers-2-mixtape.339288.html

http://www.datpiff.com/Fabolous-There-Is-No-Competition-Death-Comes-In-3s-mixtape.291573.html

http://www.datpiff.com/Jadakiss-Consignment-mixtape.340926.html

Marked as solution

I think this is an incredible opportunity for Spotify to expand their user base and provide a truly comprehensive service.

Almost every hip hop artist uses OFFICIAL mixtapes as a medium to release studio production quality music to their fans for free. These mixtapes can often constitute a significant portion of an artists discography and often they will be used as teasers for an upcoming album release or just as a gesture of appreciation to their fans.  This is a long-standing tradition in the hip hop community and Spotify would do well to include this music in their archive.

Datpiff is a forum where rappers officially release these mixtapes (they are marked official) and while their service is useful and you can stream music on their website and download for free, they deal exclusively with mixtapes.

Since Spotify is the most comprehensive streaming music archive already, adding mixtapes would be the final step to music service domination. 

I know there are sometimes copyright issues when artists use unlicensed samples (Frank Ocean's Nostalgia mixtape for example) but there is still incredible scope for legal, licensed releases from extremely popular intentionally unsigned artists whose current Spotify profile is pitiful (Freddie Gibbs).

Serioiusly you could change the world of music with this!

Marked as solution

You guys (Spotify) should at least make an attempt to integrate these in. If you cant then tell us the official reason why you cant use them because these are free OFFICIAL mixtapes that are already availible to the public for download. Thus why cant they be availible for streaming. It would make the service that much better. At least let premium subscribers get them directly from spotify. 

Marked as solution

If music is downloadable, it doesn't mean that the rights holders want it made available (We all know that). Let's assume that all the rights holders of all the tracks in a mixtape have agreed to allow their music to be made available like this. I would suspect that in practically all cases the terms strictly exclude any commercial use.

Have a look at the terms from one of the sites that was linked to earlier:

4. Limited Right to Use.

The viewing, printing or downloading of any content, graphic, form or document from the Site grants you only a limited, nonexclusive license for use solely by you for your own personal use and not for republication, distribution, assignment, sublicense, sale, preparation of derivative works or other use. No part of any content, form or document may be reproduced in any form or incorporated into any information retrieval system, electronic or mechanical, other than for your personal use (but not for resale or redistribution) or as allowed via the site (such as RSS feeds)

Putting this content in Spotify's catalogue would absolutely constitute commercial use.

Mixtapes could be submitted to Spotify, but it would be up to the submitting company to firstly gain the permission from all the individual rights holders involved, and then to supply all the relevant rights data. There are  dance music compilations on Spotify. Many of these have a last track is a continuous mix. This is precisely the situation.

Marked as solution

Four years later and still nothing? At least let us integrate music from our phones to personal play lists so we don't have to switch apps to hear the audio dope Curren$y drops 3+ times a year.

44 Replies

Hey, check out the Def Jam app. It might be just what you're looking for.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Richard,

Thanks for the reply but thats not exactly what I am asking about.

I think the link below best describes it

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mixtape

Some very popular artists release underground albums called mixtapes with some tracks rivaling many of the mainstream 

tracks they give to their respective record labels (which are on spotify). 

I was just wondering if it was possible to get the mixtapes on as well since they are widely considered as part of the artists work and will make the list of tracks on spotify truely comprehensive. Thats ultimately the objective, right?

Marked as solution

Well the problem is that we can only provide content licensed from the labels.

Unofficial mixtapes and bootlegs etc. wouldn't be part of any official release so we wouldn't be able to make them available I'm afraid.

Marked as solution

They are official mixtape releases...mixtape music is legally free so im sure spotify can use it...plus mixtapes sometimes have better songs than those on albums. Richard look at these recent ones from popular artists.  

http://www.datpiff.com/Meek-Mill-Dreamchasers-2-mixtape.339288.html

http://www.datpiff.com/Fabolous-There-Is-No-Competition-Death-Comes-In-3s-mixtape.291573.html

http://www.datpiff.com/Jadakiss-Consignment-mixtape.340926.html

Well it would be up to our content team to get these if they're able. There might be some reason they can't if they haven't already, or it's not something they're thinking of doing it (we don't have podcasts in Spotify right now, for instance, though I'm sure we could if we really wanted).

Please note that even if a track is published to allow the public to remix it or like, you are not authorized to rip it from Spotify as the Spotify TOS prohits downloading any content from Spotify.

The same applies to sound effects on Spotify. You must acquire them from the publisher directly.

Marked as solution

I think this is an incredible opportunity for Spotify to expand their user base and provide a truly comprehensive service.

Almost every hip hop artist uses OFFICIAL mixtapes as a medium to release studio production quality music to their fans for free. These mixtapes can often constitute a significant portion of an artists discography and often they will be used as teasers for an upcoming album release or just as a gesture of appreciation to their fans.  This is a long-standing tradition in the hip hop community and Spotify would do well to include this music in their archive.

Datpiff is a forum where rappers officially release these mixtapes (they are marked official) and while their service is useful and you can stream music on their website and download for free, they deal exclusively with mixtapes.

Since Spotify is the most comprehensive streaming music archive already, adding mixtapes would be the final step to music service domination. 

I know there are sometimes copyright issues when artists use unlicensed samples (Frank Ocean's Nostalgia mixtape for example) but there is still incredible scope for legal, licensed releases from extremely popular intentionally unsigned artists whose current Spotify profile is pitiful (Freddie Gibbs).

Serioiusly you could change the world of music with this!

amen

Marked as solution

You guys (Spotify) should at least make an attempt to integrate these in. If you cant then tell us the official reason why you cant use them because these are free OFFICIAL mixtapes that are already availible to the public for download. Thus why cant they be availible for streaming. It would make the service that much better. At least let premium subscribers get them directly from spotify. 

OFFICIAL MIXTAPES

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I want to second this. The mixtape community is the primary focus for hip hop, and ignoring this is ignoring the entire fanbase. Most people I know who love hip hop or rap do not  use spotify because you are not up to date on the latest mixtapes.

Please consider this. This is a major issue and if it doesnt improve I may have to cancel my subscription. i do not have access to most of my favorite new songs ๐Ÿ˜•

There's nothing stopping artists from popping these mixtapes on spotify themselves, should they wish to do so (providing there is no tricky licensing issues with samples and the like).

Independent artists can get their music on Spotify using aggregators. We've got a big guide on how to get your music on Spotify yourself right here - http://www.spotify.com/work-with-us/labels-and-artists/ - It's pretty simple to do.

Hope this explains a little further.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Wait... so if a mixtape is available for download to the public, could one of us not download and just upload it using an aggregator.

2 Glaring examples right now are Childish Gambino's Royalty and the BADBADNOTGOOD ep's - both free to the public for download yet not integrated on spotify

I can't hear with these clouds in my ears...

Its not your music. You don't have the right to upload it like that

You need to reach out to the mix tape community. That's your job to get more content.

Spotify is amazing. It's just doesn't have one thing; mixtapes. I love rap and some mixtapes are amazing and better than some actual albums and I'm disappointed spotify doesn't have them. So please please PLEASE add them like Sorry 4 the wait or dedication 3 etc. If you can't please tell me a very detailed explanation why. Thank you if it is possible I hope I get support because it's needed.

@rokyoursoks wrote:

Wait... so if a mixtape is available for download to the public, could one of us not download and just upload it using an aggregator.

Sadly not. While it's available for free download, the music is still owned by the artist. Uploading via an aggregator would require an aggrement with the rights holders of the material to do so. 

Airhorn Enthusiast
Marked as solution

If music is downloadable, it doesn't mean that the rights holders want it made available (We all know that). Let's assume that all the rights holders of all the tracks in a mixtape have agreed to allow their music to be made available like this. I would suspect that in practically all cases the terms strictly exclude any commercial use.

Have a look at the terms from one of the sites that was linked to earlier:

4. Limited Right to Use.

The viewing, printing or downloading of any content, graphic, form or document from the Site grants you only a limited, nonexclusive license for use solely by you for your own personal use and not for republication, distribution, assignment, sublicense, sale, preparation of derivative works or other use. No part of any content, form or document may be reproduced in any form or incorporated into any information retrieval system, electronic or mechanical, other than for your personal use (but not for resale or redistribution) or as allowed via the site (such as RSS feeds)

Putting this content in Spotify's catalogue would absolutely constitute commercial use.

Mixtapes could be submitted to Spotify, but it would be up to the submitting company to firstly gain the permission from all the individual rights holders involved, and then to supply all the relevant rights data. There are  dance music compilations on Spotify. Many of these have a last track is a continuous mix. This is precisely the situation.

Cosign - Mixtapes are a glaring omission. Wiz, Meek, Big Sean, Chris Brown.... the list goes on for artists whos best work is in their newest official mixtapes.

Suggested posts