Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

More Discover Weekly Problems

More Discover Weekly Problems

I've read an awful lot of posts on this subject, but I'm not finding the answers I'm looking for.

The Problems:

Since beginning to keep track in September the highest # of songs I've liked in a single week is 9 and the average is a little over 3. In fact, there is a higher percentage of songs per week that I've either disliked on other stations, have in my local files, or have on another playlist.

What I've Done:

I've got two separate playlists of favorite songs. I've given the heart to my favorite bands and albums. I HEAVILY use the do not like button.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please, please, do not tell me to just follow my favorite bands. That seems to be everyone's solution, I've done it, and it hasn't helped.

3 Replies

Hi mhittle24, 

if I understand correctly, you would like these favourite bands to appear more in Your Discover Weekly Playlist?

No, not at all. Generally if I have marked a band my favorite, I've explored their entire catalog.

On this week's playlist, I had two songs which I not only have in my local files, but are on playlists I've created, and a third which I listened to a few times but ultimately didn't like. Of the remaining 27 songs which were new to me, I liked one. This is pretty normal for my Discover Weekly.

What I'm trying to figure out is:

1. Why am I getting songs that I've played elsewhere on Spotify?

2. Why is my Discover Weekly so consistently so far from what I've shown I like?

3. Why am I having to mark that I don't like songs/artists more than once?

Hi! Sadly, information on how exactly Discover Weekly operates is somewhat hard to find but I will try to answer your questions to my best knowledge:)

1. Why am I getting songs that I've played elsewhere on Spotify?

Spotify's Discover Weekly mostly recommends music that is popular among other users who have similar tastes to you. If you listen to songs A and B frequently while only occasionally listening to song C, Spotify might recommend song C to you again if other users listen to songs A, B and C frequently.

2. Why is my Discover Weekly so consistently so far from what I've shown I like?

That depends. You mentioned that you already know a lot of songs that appear in you discover weekly. If you skip these songs before the 30 second mark (because you already know them) , Spotify will interpret that as a thumbs down. If that happens with a lot of songs you like, but already know, Spotify will fill your next discover weekly with songs that are different from the ones you skipped.

Also, here are a fews things that you can try to train the algorithm:

• Add songs you like from your discover weekly to new playlists
  • Skip songs and artists you don't like within the first 30 seconds of playback
  • If you find something you like, explore their discography and similar artists
  • Anything you listen to while in Private Mode will not influence you Discover Weekly

Also keep in mind that training your Discover Weekly will take a long time since the algorithm is designed to ignore short spikes in your listening activity.

Hope I could help you, happy listening 🙂

Suggested posts