Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Release Radar getting it completely wrong

Solved!

Release Radar getting it completely wrong

What's the problem with Spotify's algoritms? In the last Release Radar there were 4 songs i liked (melodic hard rock, classical), a couple that were ok (classic rock), and 23 that I really dislike (hiphop, punk/new rock, current "music"). There seems to be very low correlation with what I've liked previously. In some cases it's obvious that Spotify relies on text-based recommendations. Because I like Toto (the actual band that wrote songs like Africa, Hold the line, etc) then I'm getting recommendations from (Russian?) artists doing some rap/beat-based "music". In most cases this last release, there's nothing I can even guess as to why I'm getting some 20 songs recommended. Spotify, can you please put some effort into targetting song recommendations, Upgrade your algoritms, AI support or whatever?!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @neoclassique

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

We're sorry to hear that you've been receiving recommendations you didn't enjoy in the Release Radar playlist. We can confirm the Hide this song feature blocks a certain track from the specific playlist on the current device. The way that Release Radar is set up is that it gets renewed every Friday and counts as a new playlist. Because of this, the songs that you had hidden in the last week might still appear in the new one.

On another note, you can mute an artist so it won't be played again. From the mobile app, head to the artist's page, tap on the 3 dot menu and select "Don't play this". This will affect all your devices. 

We also suggest taking a look at this article for tips on how to improve your Made for You playlists.

Take into account that the Don't play this feature only prevents the songs by the blocked artist from being played. They might still show up on playlists and even in your recommendations, but the songs should be skipped. Currently, there's no way to visually "hide" the songs by the artist.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @neoclassique

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

We're sorry to hear that you've been receiving recommendations you didn't enjoy in the Release Radar playlist. We can confirm the Hide this song feature blocks a certain track from the specific playlist on the current device. The way that Release Radar is set up is that it gets renewed every Friday and counts as a new playlist. Because of this, the songs that you had hidden in the last week might still appear in the new one.

On another note, you can mute an artist so it won't be played again. From the mobile app, head to the artist's page, tap on the 3 dot menu and select "Don't play this". This will affect all your devices. 

We also suggest taking a look at this article for tips on how to improve your Made for You playlists.

Take into account that the Don't play this feature only prevents the songs by the blocked artist from being played. They might still show up on playlists and even in your recommendations, but the songs should be skipped. Currently, there's no way to visually "hide" the songs by the artist.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Release radar and Discover weekly keep making wrong recommendations since their introduction, based on band name. This is a consistent technical issue that impedes the customer experience.

Issue by example: My current release radar suggested a song by several hip hop artists, including one called "HIM". The song is wrongly related to another rock band called "HIM" that I follow. Spotify adds several useless song recommendations every week to my generated playlists based on the coincidence of band name. The issue appears not to be with the recommendation system but the content that consistently makes wrong band associations, purely based on name.

This issue may exist under content or other category. Please link to that one if exists.

Account: Premium

Device: any 

I also not satisfied with the release radar anymore. I currently get only audio books as recommendation. Also I hear some in the past, the title in the list has nothing to do with my favorite author or book categories and there in lot of cases these books comes every week, also when I click the hide button. One very nice feature is became a can of trash. BTW, also my Mix of the week becomes useless, there are mostly titles I didn't like. Looks like these list are meant fro somebody else and not for me.

Suggested posts