Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Rodriguez not available in Costa Rica?

Rodriguez not available in Costa Rica?

Hi, i have a premium US account and imI traveling in Costa Rica at the moment . I noticed that i cannot access any music from the artist (sixto) Rodriguez, including the stuff i had downloaded to my phone beforehand .

Is that due to regional restrictions? Are there more artists i cannot listen to while I'm here? Will it come back to my library once i leave here? Is there any more info on ghis topic somewhere?

Thanks!

23 Replies

hi!

Sixto Rodriguez is missin on Spotify, there is only one song! how is that possible?

Watch "searching for sugarman" and listen the awesome songs.  Freakin amazing tracks! seriously I mean it!

Try to search just for "Rodriguez". The Soundtrack to the movie and another album is available, at least for me (I live in germany)

omg thanx! they should put a tag in those songs!

yeah same I listen to rodriguez nearly everyday and somehow today I couldn't play his songs, I'm from europe tho

Same for me. My list disappeared. I live in Madrid I'm not travelling. Just Cruficy your mind is still there

Same problem here in the Netherlands. Before yesterday all songs were available, now only a select few.

I sent an email to the spotify support desk. They suggested that it could be because the author's rights have changed and they were forced to take the music down from spotify :(.

@Tomerke @Luuk2121 @caracaulfield @user-removed

After some investigations, here is what I can tell, from here in France :

On the profile page of Rodriguez, I find :

Albums :

1970 : Cold Fact

spotify:album:2Mftce9gY24uWz8pLIMbRP:small

1971 : Coming From Reality

spotify:album:731grwIQU8mgcOueLCPoGJ:small

Singles and EP's :

2010 : Record Store Day 7"

spotify:album:6ssxScXjJlSttC1JE0n7Mp:small

Curiously not appearing on profile, we can find this album soundtrack :

2012 : Searching For Sugar Man

spotify:album:4s7qz6sSmn1gzphGM9P5dK:small

According to the availabilty map, except Searching For Sugar Man which seems to be unknown by the map, both 2 other albums and Single, seem to be vailable in every countries covered by Spotify.

But for licensing reasons, it is possible to find it available only in certain countries.

I Hope that will help.

Don't hesitate to request more informations if it needs. 🙂

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey and thanks for looking into this, but unfortunately it is still not possible to access his music (except a couple of tracks). I tried the links you sent but other than showing the album name there is nothing to listen to.

I guess author rights have changed outside of france

It's only available Cruficy your mind, because this song it's included in another album shared with other singers and Inner City Blues and I'm Gone to Live till I Die which are no part of his two famous albums Cold Fact and Coming from Reality. I think all countries have same situation . Rodriguez is on a Tour.Saturday in NY and then he comes to Europe!!! Sure he needs money. In the past he had kind of legal problems related with royalties of his albums reclamed by thirds and no more albums during past years . For me Rodriguez is one of the best and obviously he is not an ambitious man, so I'm thinking about paying some euros for having Rodriguez in my life 

Exactly the same happened to me. I hope this change in the near future

Good day,

I'm missing the songs from Sixto Rodriguez since last week.

Seems like Spotify didn't extend the contract with the label.

What can I do now? I just switched from Appel Music to Spotify because of Rodriguez.

Rgds

Hendrik

Good day,

I'm missing the songs from Sixto Rodriguez since last week.

Seems like Spotify didn't extend the contract with the label. Because all of his songs were available on Spotify before.

What can I do now? I just switched from Appel Music to Spotify because of Rodriguez.

Rgds

Hendrik

Hey! Welcome to the Spotify Community 🙂

Spotify would like to have all the world's music available on Spotify, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Therefore, anything which they have the right to upload and has been provided to them, should be available on Spotify.

If you still can't find the music you're looking for, try contacting the artist or record label and ask why their music isn't on Spotify

You can also open this form and provide Spotify with feedback. When doing so, do please keep in mind that this is an internal list and Spotify employees will check it at regular intervals, to see how much interest there is for any given band. Submitting a name in that form doesn't mean they will magically be showing up soon.

Have a great day,
Leo

Music is a world within itself, it is a language we all understand. ~ Stevie Wonder

@HeMan1984

Albums from Rodriguez are available in some countries.

For more informations, check this post :

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Rodriguez-not-available-in-Costa-Rica...

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star

missing in the united states too -  very sad. wth, spotify??

Hello @carolcamp10 and welcome to the community,

Availability of music on Spotify is up to the artists (or representatives) and / or their labels. Music missing can be a decision of one of them.

Music missing can also be related to a licensing problem. Licensing rules are not the same from a country to another. That can lead to have albums available in some countries and not in some others. Usually when a licensing problem is solved the music can be added or come back if it has been removed.

Spotify wants all the music in the world to stream and works hard daily to try to convince artists and labels to let all their catalog in streaming.

Thanks for your understanding.

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star

Ik really hope the licensing problem will be solved soon! Still strange that one song is still left.

Hi @designkiller , @markus-k85@HeMan1984

Thank you all for inquiring about the absence of this wonderful artist.

Sometimes agreements can't be reached with the artist or label or a change may happen in music ownership. However, he might reappear later.

In the meantime, feel free to contact the artist or their label to ask when they plan to be on Spotify.

Or if you want you can also listen to this "similar to Rodriguez" playlist : 

https://open.spotify.com/user/gillian_delvigne/playlist/2Y7LAcpnLMDBY4Aqc9TBjo?si=3imz4vx0R-2qzbOlGe...

Thanks!

Suggested posts