Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

SPOTIFY in MQA format ( Meridian Audio Format )

Solved!
Highlighted

SPOTIFY in MQA format ( Meridian Audio Format )

Regular

I am wondering whether Spotify is considering adding the MQA file as a streaming option? MQA can pack up the information from a lossless 24-bit 192kHz PCM file into the sort of space you’d need for a ‘lowly’ 16-bit 44.1KHz stream. That’s CD-quality, and takes up around 1-1.5mbps per channel, within reach of a good 3G connection, and a cinch for a reasonable 4G one. In hi-res competitor format, DSD is 306MB while the MQA file is just 40MB. This compares with 73MB for the 24-bit/96kHz FLAC file and 142MB for the 24-bit/192kHz version

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: SPOTIFY in MQA format ( Meridian Audio Format )

Casual Listener

They've got to do something. 320 kb is getting pretty tired. I haven't been a fan of other Hi-rez formats. I'm just not hearing a difference (and I've bought recordings in multiple  formats for testing purposes). I WANT to hear a diffence. It just aint there (for me). MQA seems like it could be the grail. Anyway, I'd pony up a couple more bucks a month for better sound.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Highlighted
Solution!

Casual Listener

They've got to do something. 320 kb is getting pretty tired. I haven't been a fan of other Hi-rez formats. I'm just not hearing a difference (and I've bought recordings in multiple  formats for testing purposes). I WANT to hear a diffence. It just aint there (for me). MQA seems like it could be the grail. Anyway, I'd pony up a couple more bucks a month for better sound.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Gig Goer
Highlighted

Regular

Ultra HD is scam ... grab audio of newly released albums that are recorded in HD and compare byte to byte ...

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I agree, Spotify is great service but something has to be done about sound quality!

I don't care what technology is used as long as audio quality improves.

They better do something quick because Tidal and other are taking on massive quantity of new customers due to better sound...PERIOD!

Do it our loose it.........

A listener that wishes to remain...SPOTIFY

Highlighted

Well, no. MQA is commercial format, you will pay from using it. And it is also a lossy format. Would you pay from using good mp3-like stream which is not lossless like flac? Many high-end manufacturers have realised this problem and are abandoning MQA.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Only interested in higher quality sound...period!

Does not matter the format or technology.

If it sounds better do it or loose it.

Again, wish to remain....Spotify.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Some of us can tell the difference with high resolution music and it does fix some major issues with digital filters and brick-wall filters.  Just because you don't appreciate it does not mean it does not exist or is a scam.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

That is a misleading statement - it is not lossy in the traditional sense.

Also, no music is truly lossless - what about mastering?  That changes the sound too.

Highlighted

Gig Goer

@Andriza wrote:

Some of us can tell the difference with high resolution music and it does fix some major issues with digital filters and brick-wall filters.  Just because you don't appreciate it does not mean it does not exist or is a scam.

That is the claim made by audiophile proponents, but digital filters haven't been an issue for decades: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/audiophile-myth-260-detestable-digital.html

SUGGESTED POSTS