Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Should Spotify just remove the Radio section?

Should Spotify just remove the Radio section?

I don't quite understand what this is supposed to do. You click on it and you see Recommended Stations. There are a few that are Artist Radio where you listen to the same artist, and there are a few Song stations. Where are all the genre stations? For example, if I want to listen to, oh let's choose a simple one, Classic Rock, well, where is it? Where are all the classic rock radio stations?  I'd assume that when you select a category like Radio, you'd see a massive collection of stations with hundreds of songs dedicated to the genre, or maybe even popular djs/talkshows, different programs, etc, that change daily based on the station's preferences. But there's never anything really useful in there.

So back to my initial question, should Spotify just remove it, or do people find it useful? If so, how?

6 Replies

Hi Sea11side,

Personally, I love using the radio stations for my favorite artists and songs. It's a great way to discover new music that's similar to what you like! If you're looking to discover music from a specific genre, you can simply type the desired genre into the search bar and Spotify will display all kinds of playlists related to the genre. If you click the three little dots on any of the genre-related playlists, Spotify can curate a radio station based on the genre-related playlist of your choosing. I agree that the radio stations are not my favorite way to discover new music because most of the songs seem to be a hit or miss. The radio section is most likely there to give you some radio suggestions if you're not sure where to start. I wouldn't say that the radio system is the most effective in music discovery but personally I do not think they should remove it by any means. I would recommend playing around with it a little bit more to give it a chance but it might just be that radio recommendations are not quite for you. Great post!

Hey @sea11side,

I do agree radio stations based on genres would be a great addition. You can submit a new idea here with your request, for like-minded people to vote for it.

What I can suggest you, for now, is go to Browse, select Rock, for example, search for a playlist that matches your mood, right-click it and start a radio station. Then you can like or block songs to accustom the station to match your preferences even more 🙂 

MartinStoichkov_0-1598431238353.png

Hope you can find this helpful, if you think of anything else, you can reply back

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I agree there are certain features that are pretty redundant on Spotify. I.e. the song radio and the artist radio usually are the same songs. However, I think as the algorithm improves these radio stations will improve as well. 

I rarely search for radio in the categories section, but I do click radio when it is on my home page. For me, it usually recommends artist and song radio. But it could be a good idea to incorporate genre radio as well, I am sure they are playing with the algorithm a bit if they should have "playlist" radio as well. 

Hi kxra,

Yeah, well the search bar seems to be global. It doesn't matter if you're in the Browse section, Radio, or Home. The search results are the same. That's one of the reasons I made this post. The radio section is so limited that it just seems like something they could delete and no one would ever notice (unless you're a Taylor Swift fan)

Man, in my opinion, in fact the option is ver useful... Because you can make me find several interesting songs about a genre, or access a collection of a favorite artist or a mix of all this, it is more acessible for those wants something more practical. 

Hey everyone!

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. If you'd like this option back, you can follow what @MartinStoichkov, recommend. Thanks!

Have a great day ahead of you

Suggested posts