Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

When is Spotify going to return on Roku?

Solved!

When is Spotify going to return on Roku?

When is Spotify going to available on Roku again?

132 Replies

I guess my main problem with it is that Bluetooth is an inferior means of listening compared to what was offered with Roku. Yeah, I have a phone and good reciever with good speakers. But it's the HQ option that keeps me paying. It sounds better on a HDMI connection to dedicated hardware. That's why I subscribed to begin with. 

The-Big-Lebowski-1.jpg

Um, no. I have my tv hooked up to my stereo, which has awesome sound. That's why I keep coming back here to see if there's any progress. Even though the majority of Spotify users may just use it on their phone, I think there are probably lot of people like me.

As for having to support different no operating systems, that's a legitimate issue. But I would bet that most of these TVs and boxes are running some version of Linux. Not that tough. And Spotify started yanking their app from Panasonic, Samsung, and a host of other makes almost a year ago, so they've been planning this for awhile. And I did cancel my Premium when I found out I had to buy a Chromecast and use my phone to control it. So frustrating.

Spoiler
I have been using Spotify for years and bought £500 5.1 speaker system and was streaming though my projector and it was the best system ever now it is removed from roku I have sadly ended my premium membership 😞

1. Where is your source for the statment that very few user use Spotify on the Roku. Sounds like you just made this up.

2. A lot of TVs are hooked up to audio systems for surround sound and such. So sound can be very good for TVs. 

I think Spotify is buying into the model of just use your phone and bluetooth and it's good. It saves them a lot of development time at the expense of convenience to the user. Youtube TV tried this but now runs on a bunch of sdevices. I think that this approach discounts the users preference and give Spotify a bit of "We don't care" attitude. 

Hey all!

Thank you all so much for your insightful comments! As Spotify works to improve the overall Spotify experience, they sometimes have to stop supporting platforms to allow for their resources to be focused on features with higher engagement! 🙂

Let Spotify know that you'd love to see this back over here, and find out why features change over here!

Cheers!

/T

We only care about Roku. And why you lied to us about it.

Yes, features change, but legacy apps are still working.  What we, as a community are upset about is that even though the interface sucked, we had Spotify on Roku.  Now we have nothing, and we are paying well for something.

@63VDub wrote:

Yes, features change, but legacy apps are still working.  What we, as a community are upset about is that even though the interface sucked, we had Spotify on Roku.  Now we have nothing, and we are paying well for something.

In the game of technology, faitful users of legacy products will always get the sh*tty end of the stick, and that's how it has always been regardless of what it is. But like anything else, we all are forced to move on at some point. Just trust in that it is usually for good reasons. All we can see is a GUI interface, we don't see the complexity of what goes in to programming a functional prodct in the ever changing operating systems. Users must understand this. There's nothing we can do about it. Especially if the usership isn't there. if 40M people are mostly using their mobile, I can't see spotify puting in the dollars for programmers to continue working on Roku for a few thousand people. Even if it were 2M, it's still bearly a fraction of mobile/web users.

The top answer doesn't come close to addressing the question, which was WHEN. "In the future" is not an answer, it's a given. It's not like you're reintroducing the service in the past. Grab a calendar and figure it out. 

... and this isn't going to light a fire under anyone to fix anything:

"CEO Daniel Ek, who owns just over 9 percent of the music streaming company, is now sitting on about $2.3 billion of Spotify stock at its current price. His lower-profile co-founder, Martin Lorentzon, has about $3.1 billion worth of shares in the company." - Recode, April 4, 2018 (the forum blocked the link!)

So my original reply was basically to say Spotify works for me. How I have it hooked up with Bluetooth does what I need it to do. I'm a middle-aged "get the f#ck off my lawn" kind of guy that still likes listening to my almost 50 year old vinyl. Some music just sounds better with distortion and pops.

Streaming Albert King, who I had the pleasure to meet @ Kingston Mines in Chicago, from a 1969 release as I type.

To each is own. Rock on everyone }:-O

Bring spotify back to roku. 

Coming up on 5 months now. Bizarre to me that Spotify wouldn't want to have some kind of presence on Roku given how massive the cordcutting movement is getting, and since Pandora's roku app is on the front page of "Most Popular" Roku apps.

I am fairly certain since the IPO that it is not a subscription-driven business model. 

Translation: Spotify has been paid, or compensated somehow, to funnel business to Amazon and Google and away from Roku. I understand why there wouldn't be an app for the AppleTV because they are a prime competitor. I am an iPhone user and if I can't have Spotify OR Apple Music on Roku, but both are on my phone, I'll go with Apple now thanks.

I cancelled my premium account because of this. Apparently Spotify has looked at the business case and decided that the loss of revenue due to loss of subscibers doesn't aoutweight the cost of maintaining the Roku app. The good news is that there are other options available for the 38.9 million Americans who use Roku.

Buh bye, Spotify.

Ok, so have a Roku app that just connects to my device like Spotify does for gaming consoles, smart TVs, etc.... just push from device to roku app. That’s not hard writing code for. This would be a great option in my opinion. 

Spotify has officially been removed from the roku channel store.  The spotify website also has been adjusted to remove reference to roku as a supported device. 

This is so lame.

Spotify is not at it best in this situation.. This "we'll be back better" message has been appearing for many months on my roku device. 

Fail for Spotify here. 

Suggested posts