Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Clear Spotify history?

Clear Spotify history?

I'm really happy with Spotify, but recently a friend used my account to listen to some songs that I don't like. Despite several attempts to delete the songs in my history by reinstalling Spotify or restarting my computer, all have failed. So I'm assuming that this data is stored in "the cloud" somewhere. This leads me to believe that the only way to restart would be to delete my account and make a new one with the same email address. But based on the other forums, it doesn't seem like this is very easy either. I appreciate any help you can provide.

46 Replies

Hmm, well non of the above methods seem to work. If I look up my profile (not my forum user name btw) I still see the "I've been listening to"- feature - shining with guilty pleasures, haha. I have tried uninstalling spotify, removing user data, removing track.data...'whatever'- file. I just want a clean slate!!

btw: when I looked myself up I did this from another profile.

Thanks, worked great! Pretty easy, and cleared the whole history.

Agreed, no idea why this feature isn't being put into the app... kind of insane. You have the option to listen to Spotify in a "private session", I just learned, so clearly they've thought that privacy might be an issue worth considering - wonder why they haven't addressed it by allowing to remove items from history?!

Hey,

So, they added this thing to the app. All you do is:

1) Click the search bar

2) Look all the way down at the bottom of the box with the searches

3) There will be an option that says "Clear recent searches"

Click it, and all the searches will disappear.

This is not what they mean, that s search hstory, not recently listened to. ^

Recently listened to music is a problem, especially when you're trying to find a specific song from a smaller artist and accidentally start playing the wrong song.

It's also really bad if you've a sudden change in music tastes as i've listened to pop songs and now i'm more into EDM and rock music xD

Another problem is when your girlfriend starts searching up her taste in music on your account, it's so annoying!

Please add the feature to be able to remove thia

Pls activate the delete button on history tab or make a delete button on overview so we can delete artist that our friends listened with our accounts.

spotify made it hard for us!!! they even grey out the delete button **bleep**!

THE SIMPLEST SOLUTION:

This solution deletes JUST your Play Queue history, nothing else. Works as of March 2015 versions of the Windows application.

1. Close the Spotify application completely.
  2. Open a File Explorer window (the file browser with the yellow folder tree on the left).
  3. Go to the address bar and type in "shell:appdata" (no quotes). Press enter. This is a quick way to navigate to "C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\".
  4. Navigate manually to "\Spotify\Users\YOUR-user".
  5. Delete just the file "track-player.bnk". This is the file which, independent from all else, holds your track history.
  6. Open Spotify and profit.

It's almost as simple as a "delete history" button. You can thank me later.

I don't work with Spotify and came up with this solution via trial & error and a bit of common sense. I cannot guarantee that it will work the same way forever. But it sure as heck works now and makes me happy.

My reason to want to delete track history? It took too darn long to load when I switched over to the History list.

Good luck hacking.

this is exactly what I needed!!! thank you ❤️

Amazingly enough the "track-player.bnk" *hack* still works after all these years...

For newcomers still finding their way to this solution please know this:

The "track-player.bnk" file is available on all three platforms, it just resides in different places.

If you want to completely get rid of Spotify storing any information at all

1. Find the BNK files native location on your system, Windows, OS X, Ubuntu etc.

2. Delete the file (and trash it also for OS X).

3. Start Spotify without playing anything (this recreates the file).

4. Exiting without any interaction keeps the file empty.

5. Write-protect the file and remove all write permissions on it so the OS will let Spotify load the file but not put any info inside it.

I have tried and tested and been using successfully for many years on all three platforms...

Daniel kommer garanterat ta bort denna posten och banna mitt konto för han inte vill att hans "fårskock" ska få bestämma själv hur programmet beter sej...

~ThE EnD iS ThE BeGiNnInG~

Just upgraded to a family arrangement after my 16 year old daugther has co-used the account for a few months and filled the history with her favourite music.

One of the great features of Spotify is to find new music based on your personal taste. This is what I would like to use very regularly. It is not clear how long it will take before my daughters history will become irrelevant. Considering it is more than a week ago and nothing has changed yet I expect this to take a very long time. Or maybe the history is based on the what the family is listening to and it will never change...

I guess the Spotify logic is that you should not be allowed to change history, which I can understand. A new feature should therefore not be to delete the history, but to be able to set new preferences going forward, or to get the "my taste generation engine" to start afresh. Doesn't sound like this would be too difficult to programme.

I could of course have let my daughter keep the main account and start as a family member myself but this is clearly against principle (and too late now anyway).

@PaRaDox

I am afraid this method does not work for me (on Windows 10). Deleting the track-player.bnk file does not change history. It is also not regenerated after restart. If I put back a blank copy of the track-player file it does not seem to get repopulated.

Also tried to clear contents of the recently-played.bnk file. After spotify restart it gets immediately repopulated with the previous content. So it looks like the history data is recorded in the cloud as well.

Looks like I shall have use Spotify a lot in order to slowly change the basis for my music taste generation.

I have the same problem. I wont renew my subscription once it runs out. Maybe then theyll listen.

This is really sad. I figured I'd give spotify a chance so last night in the car I had some kids with me so I figured I'd pull up some disney stuff on spotify.. well I don't want that in my history now! It was a one time thing. This is so dumb that I can't clear it. (On top of being so annoying that I can't ban an artist from a station.)   I won't activate a paid membership until I can  1) Clear something from history (on Spotify's servers) and 2) Ban an artist (which i can do in Slacker... which I'll probalby end up going with. I decided to try Spotify to see if their song library was better.)

I need this. Used Spotify to make a wedding playlist. Ruined my Discover Weekly and Release Radar.

I just spent ages going through and hiding my recent history and I will probably need to replay my saved songs/albums/play lists several times to ensure the discovery feature works again.

Could really do with this feature it's been what 3 years overdue and all Spotify do is dodge the request.

I want to clear my history too, I tend to use Spotify to sample artists I'm not familiar with...then I go back to my most played artists and they show up...or I play a mix and a random artist shows up that throws me off gaurd. I'd either like to be able to delete my history or set favorite artists rather than most played artists....with me most played doesn't always mean favorite.

Just go to %appdata% and hit the roaming folder, then spotify and find the users fold and delete your' "User"  and log in to find a clean play queue and history. Its works! 🙂

can anybody tell me how to remove a song from spotify history?

+1 

We were sharing 1 account, now switched to Family account but i want to get rid of discover lists based on history. I want to start from scratch!

Would really appreciate this feature. It's ridiculous that it didn't exist to begin with and I'm looking for an alternative to Spotify because of it.

I've switched to google play and It's awesome, you get redtube along with it and share with 5 friends.

Suggested posts