Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Update: Spotify for Linux v0.9.4 is now available. See here.

Hi everybody!

Today we pushed the latest and greatest Spotify client to our repository. This time you're getting the good stuff first, this version has only been rolled out to a small percentage of Windows/Mac users. It contains some of the features that were presented on our recent press event, such as being able to follow artists and tastemakers. Have a look at the brand new Follow page, where you can find interesting artists and other people to follow. You'll get updates on their activity, such as newly released albums etc.

As for Linux-specific fixes, there are some minor bug fixes. The biggest change is the packaging. The client now is installed to /opt and it uses XDG mechanisms to register icons and menus. The executable is now also built without hardcoded paths to libraries. This means that the folder can be put anywhere and just run from there. Unfortunately, this release still depends on libssl0.9.8. We'll try to get rid of that in upcoming releases!

The new client is just a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" away!

What, you don't already have Spotify installed? Lookie here: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Don't use Debian? Check out these zip packages:

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-i686.zip

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-amd64.zip

Edit: updated to include the zip packages.

265 Replies

Hi,

Trying to install Spotify on my Ps3 with Red Ribbon Linux (GNU/Linux).

Getting the following error after 'sudo apt-get update'

Fetched 16.3 MB in 47s (340 kB/s)                                              
W: Failed to fetch http://repository.spotify.com/dists/stable/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'non-free/binary-powerpc/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Anyone got an idea what went wrong?

Thanks

Jerome

@Jeromey wrote:

Hi,

Trying to install Spotify on my Ps3 with Red Ribbon Linux (GNU/Linux).

Getting the following error after 'sudo apt-get update'

Fetched 16.3 MB in 47s (340 kB/s)                                              
W: Failed to fetch http://repository.spotify.com/dists/stable/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'non-free/binary-powerpc/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Anyone got an idea what went wrong?

Thanks

Jerome

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

The linux client is only supported on x86 and x86_64 processors, that is why it won't install on a ps3. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thats a shame, it took me some time to get Red Ribbon installed on my ps3..

Think it will be suported in the near Future?

Thanks,

Jerome

Hey again 🙂 

I don't work for Spotify so I can't comment on anything in the future, however the linux client is not an official release, so it is unlikely at this point in my eyes. 

I would suggest if you want to use Spotify on the ps3, you have a quick search on the Ideas Exchange as there are a few topics about allowing Spotify on games consoles, as well as different processor arches.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Just a quick note to say a big thank you for Spotify on Linux. For me (Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 machines), it works brilliantly, and it has transformed my life. So, again, thank you.

I use the Linux version at work but won't be upgrading to 0.8.8 based on what I've in the thread for the 0.8.8 windows version:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Horrible-update-0-8-8/td-p/265098

If the Linux version is mostly the same, you all might want to read that thread first.

I have deb-packages for older versions for those who are interested...

If you are concerned about the future of the native desktop client (on all platforms, take a look at this thread), raise your voice in the thread smelico linked to above.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Makes me sad that my first post on this forum is a complaint. I love Spotify, and have used it since day 1 of it coming to the US. I moved to Ubuntu from Windows, and was pleasantly surprised that the client was available, if not officially supported. It's been working great until 0.8.8 as many others have said. It is absolutely horrible, and I've found that it now hangs up my whole system, until I kill it via the terminal. There are countless issues with it, most of them documented on this now very lengthy thread.

Some of you might be interested to know I found a post that shows you how to downgrade (to 0.8.4) and restore your sanity, and whilst it's not perfect, if you know how the command line stuff works, you should be able to work it out. One warning, if you do a "apt-get install -f install" before doing step 7 and 8, it will re-install version 0.8.8 again. So kudos to this guy/gal for saving the day!

http://bmaupin.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/spotify-linux-woes/

Here is an easier way to downgrade the Linux client:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-vMQvA3A7NWS76PvgUmx3eP-qmSNZzMOKgY1DJH8iZw/pub

Note: This is not criticism of the Linux client. Version 0.8.8 has not been well recieved on any platform. Please keep up the good work providing a Linux client on par with other platforms.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Will any of these run on RHEL6?

Probably. There are many guides on the Internet on how to run Spotify (<= 0.8.4) on Fedora. They will probably give you a clue.

For some reason, I can't get the context menu to work properly when I'm running two screens. It works fine when I've only got one. Does anyone have any idea why this is/what I can do about it?

Currently I'm experiencing the following bug in Spotify 0.8.8.323.gd143501e on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine;

When I'm dragging a song from the "Top hit" overview after searching to one of my playlists Spotify crashes. When I drag and drop a song from the general search result, everything works fine.

I've reproduced this three times in a row on several different search queries. When you need more information of the crash file dump, please let me know 🙂

Edit; When I right click on a song that normaly crashes the application when drag and drop, and add it to a playlist through the menu, everything works fine.

Drag and drop seems to be the problem here, not adding the song to a playlist.

Unfortunately, the latest version still throws a segmentation fault on exit:

/usr/bin/spotify: line 6: 19647 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/share/ffmpeg-spotify/lib/:/opt/spotify/libs/" /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify "$@"

build_version=0.8.8.323.gd143501e

Linux vaiopro13 3.8.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 13 09:01:47 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

spotify 0.8.8.323-3

Cheers,

Eric

@toaomatis: Drag & drop is a known problem in the Linux client (it was a problem on the other platforms as well, but they have later been upgraded). It happens when you drag something from webviews (web content served in the client). That's why it works from some views but not from others. Right-click works fine, as you said. If you don't care for the features introduced in v 0.8.8, you can downgrade to the previous version, which many users (on all platforms) find better.

@LordChaos: Does this happen in older versions as well? Does it work in Ubuntu on the same computer (live USB or virtual machine can be used to test)?

Hi,

1. I think these segmentation faults appeared with version 0.8.8, but I'm not entirely sure

2. I just tested it with an Ubuntu 13.10 live usb and I got a segmentation fault with this version as well

Cheers,

Eric

Ubuntu 13.10 or 13.04? Remember that none of them are released yet.

You could try an older version (those are just available as debs). Link in my previous post.

Yeah, I've tried the Ubuntu 13.10 13.04 daily build, which is just a few days from being released. Since the Ubuntu client and the AUR package both generate a segmentation fault on exit, I guess this is an upstream issue that somehow is very difficult to fix. The dump is saved in ~/.cache/spotify, by the way.

If you'd like to reproduce it:

1. start spotify from your favourite shell

2. quit the client

3. watch spotify generate a core dump in ~/.cache/spotify

I can confirm that segmentation faults occur on Ubuntu 10.04 (fully updated) as well.

I don't run v 0.8.8 ATM. Will check later.

Suggested posts