Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Solved!

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Hello Spotify users,

This thread is for the community who have been selected to test the new web player design.

I've noticed that there is a great change probably hinting at spotify getting rid of some features and adding new ones. It is very important that the users of spotify give feedback to these new changes.

FEATURES TO CONSIDER:

- Save feature needs to be added. The save feature needs to be added back on albums and singles. 

- Interactive profiles. Profiles arent interactive anymore. I seen the riddence of public playlists on profiles and what artists users are listening too. It would be nice to actually improve the profiles picture and make contacting and connecting to other users easy.

- Make accessibility to playlists and customization to playlist easier. Because of the new bulky UI it is hard to find what you're looking for.

- Make the UI less bulky-- the colors are nice, the design is nice, but it would be easier if it was efficient. The UI is too bulky, like the songs get overcrowded when listening to an album or playlist.

Any more feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments are welcomed. If you are a visitor, it is nice to see your feedback as you will be using this UI or help develop it. 🙂

THE NEW WEBPLAYER: Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png

Please, like I said, leave feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments. They are all welcomed.

You can contact me or follow me on these various platforms:

Spotify - @Yxngmeezy

Instagram - @Yxngmeezy

Snapchat - @Yxngmeezy

Twitter - @Yxng_meezy

E-mail - miguelishot4@gmail.com

thank you. 🙂

Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png
686 Replies

My first reaction was that it was a really nice interface. But once I started using it it's just one issue after another. I can't even figure out how to queue songs!!! It seems like the most basic feature but it seems it's not just me having this issue. I also miss the Last.fm scrobbling, and I feel like there was a lot more information listed about the songs in the playlists before, but maybe I'm mistaken. As someone else mentioned the shuffling is disabled once you start playing a new song, and since there is no queue, that's what you have to do. It's so incredibly **bleep**!!!

It seems like this is a development version that's been launched WAAAAAAY too early. It's missing the most fundamental features. Let us use the old version until you've got a proper replacement and not this halfbaked **bleep**!

Here is how seriously they take our feedback and our criticism... as an ex-premium user that action offended me very bad. Now even the Spotify makes the best bada**ss web player i am not rethinking to return ever. I'll stick with Deezer, they are more respective to me and my smart tvs have Deezer app so i see it now as one way option. Bye Spotify!

ingrnc.JPG

I love the new design. Just needs the features we're used to re-added (queueing, sorting etc).

That's the problem isn't it? They launched the new version while still in development. This would be fine if they at least let us revert to the old version until required features are implemented. 

I made the switch to Google Play Music the moment I realised I couldn't either queue or scrobble songs to Last.fm. It's been a fantastic experience so far. Very clean interface and all basic features implemented. There are definitely some more advanced features that are missing compared to Spotify, but if a fundamental feature like queueing songs isn't working it doesn't matter how many advanced features you've got.

The sad thing is that the day before the web player changed for me I was trying to convince people to switch from free to premium subscription. I wanted to support Spotify - I'm Swedish and felt a bit patriotic about Spotify. The next day I feel forced to quit my own subscription. It's ridiculous.

An advice to Spotify: 
I think you should be a little bit careful when making changes. There are a lot of lock-in effects with music subscription services as it's difficult to find simple and free ways of migrating your library and playlists to a new service. That means that as long as you don't make a pretty big mistake, people won't leave your service.

Unfortunately, removing a lot of features without making it possible for customers to revert to the old version might be such a mistake. If you don't let customers revert to the old version until you've figured out and implemented the features customers demand, their only option is to change to another service. And once you've lost customers it is equally hard to get them back because of the lock-in effects.

So, I'm leaving Spotify for Google Play Music but I wish Spotify all the best - even though I'm incredibly frustrated. Good bye!

PS. I've been a paying customer since 2012.

Please, just add suggested songs somewhere

Here is one person more who doesn't like the new web player.

How can anyone think it's a good idea to roll out a new version of something that misses so many features that were available before.

• No queuing,
  • no scrobbling,
  • artist view only shows albums but one has to open an album to see the tracks,
  • no timer displayed,
  • no related artists, 
  • last played displays albums/playlists instead of songs (would be a cool idea if it was optional),
  • everything is way to big to get a good overview, even on a 23" FHD screen
  • no option to edit account info in the web player

The old player was super slick and offered everything at least I and apparently a lot of others needed for a desktop web player.

Maybe the player was designed with tablets in mind but I think the target group of the web player are people who can't install Spotify on a desktop PC. I think a tablet user is more likely to install the app instead of using the web player.

Is there any option go go back to old version? 
It was much more transparent that this one is. 
I know that everything has to be simpler and idiot proof nowadays but this is too much for me. 

How can I get to settings and preferences? 

There is

No timer

No view for associated artists

No preview of tracks under lists

This skin should simplyfy things instead it is ussless and complicated

I hate this new UI!!!  Yes, it looks nice, but I am having such a hard time finding the features I used the most.  Instead of having a simple screen that allows me to what is playing, add the song, hit next, etc, I have to search for the song to add.  I can also not figure out a way to remove a song from my music because this now playing screen has such limited features.  Please, Spotify, go back to the old design.  This is absolutely horrid and detracts from everything I love about Spotify and why I chose this as my music program of choice...

Associated artists

same, and I do not like how your entire screen is centered on one thing. The streaming is terrible, and i have so many interruptions. Also, playlist navigation is terrible. Am looking for alternative. I have always suppported Spotify for years, but not much longer.

I'm sorry I have to leave you Spotify.....

How do you move back from one screen back to the previous screen?  I have to start all over everytime.  

When searching and you click the searches you have already done it takes you to the song you picked not the search results so you have to type everything in again.

Is there a way to switch back to the old player?

Thanks

Could you go back to the to the old interface, this one is much more limited and you can't easily add songs or start a radio. Also maybe a way so you could search in songs you added to your library.

Hmmm, just logged in and I'm now getting the old version again. 🙂 Did that happen to anyone else?

Confirmed!  Yes, I logged back in after your comment and I have the old version that starts wtih "play.spotify" instead of "open.spotify".  

Thanks for the heads up!

The only bug I've found so far after the switch back is I can't find the switcher to let me change devices that I'm listening to Spotify on.  

It was also difficult to find the controls for playing music, but once I had started playing something it popped up on the right side, along with a button to see my play queue

I grudgingly put up with the new layout when it was forced on me. Now that I have the old layout back I'm realizing just how much I missed it and exactly how terrible the new layout was. 

Even ignoring all of the heinus UI issues - who had the brilliant idea of making a FLASH app as the new layout? It truly seems the only thing keeping Spotify alive is the difficulty new players have in getting the same quantity of music licenses. Flash has been designated as obsolete for years now by anyone remotely competent at webdev. 

Spotify continues to be the only website I whitelist in my Flash blocker but I happily await the day when a competitor manages to break their monopoly to provide a proper, modern website. 

Just gonna say that I had access to the new web player (open.spotify.com) for only a few hours yesterday.  I loved it: visually simple and easy to navigate, an overall joy to experience.  I WANT IT BACK!

I see that some people may not enjoy it...yet, but I think they will see the light.

i'm all for new enhancements, but that new player was ablsoute junk. it looked like someones class project. 

Glad to have the old one back.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Spotify for bringing back the old web player. You have restored my faith in your excellence.

And please, I'm all for testing out new ideas, but please allow an opt-out or the ability to continue using the old player while changes are being made next time. Thanks again!

I don't understand why Spotify doesn't just do like so many other sites and run both the new and the old version side by side for a while. I hated the new version, but I'm happy to test it and leave feedback as long as I can revert to the old version for my normal usage.

Now that the web player has reverted to play.spotify.com the new player is no longer available to me on open.spotify.com. That's ridiculous! Just run both versions and let users choose which to use!!!

For now I'm staying with Google Play Music, as long as I don't get some confirmation from Spotify what their plan is. It would be great if they would communicate their intentions. 

Suggested posts