Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Solved!

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Hello Spotify users,

This thread is for the community who have been selected to test the new web player design.

I've noticed that there is a great change probably hinting at spotify getting rid of some features and adding new ones. It is very important that the users of spotify give feedback to these new changes.

FEATURES TO CONSIDER:

- Save feature needs to be added. The save feature needs to be added back on albums and singles. 

- Interactive profiles. Profiles arent interactive anymore. I seen the riddence of public playlists on profiles and what artists users are listening too. It would be nice to actually improve the profiles picture and make contacting and connecting to other users easy.

- Make accessibility to playlists and customization to playlist easier. Because of the new bulky UI it is hard to find what you're looking for.

- Make the UI less bulky-- the colors are nice, the design is nice, but it would be easier if it was efficient. The UI is too bulky, like the songs get overcrowded when listening to an album or playlist.

Any more feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments are welcomed. If you are a visitor, it is nice to see your feedback as you will be using this UI or help develop it. 🙂

THE NEW WEBPLAYER: Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png

Please, like I said, leave feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments. They are all welcomed.

You can contact me or follow me on these various platforms:

Spotify - @Yxngmeezy

Instagram - @Yxngmeezy

Snapchat - @Yxngmeezy

Twitter - @Yxng_meezy

E-mail - miguelishot4@gmail.com

thank you. 🙂

Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png
686 Replies

I just popped up the web player on my Chromebook and was pleasantly surprised. It looked sleek, professional, light-weight, and clean. That did not last long at all. I just thought I'd have to learn where everything was moved. Turns out a lot of features were removed and to replace that they made everything huge. How big everything is is just annoying and straining.  Where's the up next feature when you're listening to music? Why isn't the name of the song featured in the tab? Why is everything so god darn big? Now look, I'm not that heavy of a Spotify user. I make playlists randomly, I usually listen to one artist on shuffle at a time, and sometimes, if I'm feeling risky, I'll search and listen to one specific song....... which I can barely do anymore cause the search results are bogus. 

What I recommend for Spotify is keep the new sidebar, the bottom bar with the song info, add back the old features, and go back to the old browse and search things. Or just go back to the old web player and maybe rethink the whole design. Please and thank you.

UpdateJust after I posted this, Spotify seemed to auto connect to the app on my phone (I never gave a permission for this and I would probably never use this feature. It's just not useful to me) and it kinda just completely screwed up everything for a good minute or two. I'd try and pause it from my phone and then start playing and it would play on my phone but not my computer. I paused it from my computer and played it and it came from my phone. Then I dismissed the app from my phone and then it'd still play from my phone and then SUDDENLY it starts playing from my computer? Wat.

pop punk pancakes

So yeah this new UI is garbage, features is gone like playlist queuing which I used a lot. I can safely say I'll be ditching spotify if they don't let me use the old play.spotify page and force this new **bleep**ty open.spotify one.

This is, hands-down, the worst thing Spotify's done yet. And that's fairly amazing in and of itself.

You've updated it from the last force beta I was unpleasantly thrust in to, but it's still a terrible interface. It still has an astounding amount of dead, wasted space all over it. Trying to add a song to a playlist still no longer brings up a nice, compact menu but instead, a fullscreen mess of huge icons for each playlist I have.

The amount of empty space is abysmal, the old player had more information packed into a tighter amount of space. Beyond that, this new interface has actually buried or removed useful features and/or information. I literally cannot delete a playlist right now. Even if I clear it of all songs it will just sit there as an empty playlist. You also cannot rename them either. Hopefully, you named it exactly what you wanted to the first time! Most things which were a single click or two away are now hidden or impossible to access anymore.

The right-click menu used to actually be useful and offer up several options. Now it's been torn down into some extremely basic functionality.

As mentioned several times in this thread, the removal of the play queue, radio, Last.fm scrobbling, and Browse>Discover tabs are also huge cuts to the feature set that many of us utilized on Spotify every single time we wanted to use it. Every single week for the past several years I've used the Discovery page as a way to find new music and I've found some of my favorite albums that way. With its omission I have very little reason to ever open up Spotify again beyond the thirty minutes it takes to listen to Discover Weekly.

This new interface is an abomination of wasted space and buried information. The removal of features, some of which are key to using a music player, is just a slap in the face. This has got to be fixed in the immediate future since Spotify doesn't offer an option to use the older, functional interface instead.

Spotify Interface 01.jpg
Spotify Interface 02.png
Spotify Interface 03.jpg

One relied on the advice of a lawyer. I am a lawyer from Finland. I have read everything that says the agreement between the company and the user. I fear that artists can not do much, only to "avenge" I could tell simply by withdrawing their music. Now as a user and in subscription with the service for which you paid and pay even is almost "worthless" and does not work as it should, for example stopping the music of a playlist in 4 or 7 minutes and even if you are a free user and nevertheless show you more ads that are clearly cheating and theft. I would advise those who have the courage to ask/refer here https://www.ekobrottsmyndigheten.se/en/

P.S. Even artists who feel aggrieved.

I also want to add that unless this UI problem is remedied I will be cancelling my spotify subscription. I am also speaking on behalf of several of my co-workers who are pretty peeved about this in my office this morning. It is the talk of my corner of the office.

I think it is safe to say that all of us will be going back to pandora or another service if this UI isn't put back to what it was.

I didn't sign up to pay for this.

The new design is utterly useless, why such a major deviation from what was working good?  If there is a way to continue using the old web streaming interface, the new format wouldn't be horrible for both people who seem to like it.  I will be going back to the free version, if I keep using Spotify at all, if there is no way to fix the current mess.

Hi, 

I love the new UI, however, I can't seem to find the settings button to add my last.fm scrobbling. In the old interface it wa sunder the profile section, and do use this feature a lot. 

Any help is really appreciated. 

Thanks!

I loved the old layout. With the new one, all the text at the top is so big it's hard to read without leaning backwards and the soundbar at the bottom is so tiny I can barely click the buttons. I also have to keep re-selecting shuffle and repeat (instead of them staying selected like they did before), there is no option for Radio any more, and every time I click back and forth between anything - within the Spotify tab or otherwise - the sound stutters. It also keeps stalling randomly so I have to refresh the browser (which is not an internet connection problem - I checked). This layout is definitely more meant for tablet/mobile app users, not laptop users. PLEASE bring the old version back!!! 

This feedback is for the Spotify web player only. I rarely use the desktop app, and use the mobile ios app when not at my computer.

This may contrary to popular thought on this thread, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by the new design. I even went looking for a blog post explaining more about it. Did Spotify release any introduction article to go with the update?

Likes (+1!):

- Moving the player controls to the bottom, and breaking away from all the right-aligned, sliding drawers. They were overly complicated, visually confusing and always seemed buggy.

- Simpler design layout with less lists and more real estate to album art, yes! It took a minute to figure it out, but no more than 10 mins of playing around to find all the functionality I use regularly.

- I didn't use the radio queue function that often, so I can't say I miss it, hah.

Ideas:

- Would love a full screen, expanded view of the currently playing album/player controls. It could show the currently playing album art with all control options and actions and be maximized/minimized from any screen when you want, a la Rdio's player mode. I lovedddd that pane and it was one of the things missed the most when switching to Spotify when Rdio died. I liked keeping it open on another screen so I could see what was currently playing and quickly like/add to my lists and also enjoy the album art. Songs/artists I liked made more of an impression on me that way, and I was more likely to recognize the artist later. That said, I am a very visual learner.

Thanks team, keep up the hard work. As a developer I know it can be hard to make major changes to your app and please everyone, but I do think you've made some good desicions here. Keep iterating and don't throw out the baby with the bath water!

This new design sucks. Everything is way too big and adding something to a new playlist shouldn't require giant popup animations, it's so tedious after adding a couple songs. 

It doesn't take a genius to see that they've changed way too much for a few minor improvements. Overall a terrible decision that only benefits users who need everything spoon fed with giant icons and reduced functionality. Surprised someone at Spotify actually found any value in this pile of trash of a UI.

Yes, this new version is absolutely pathetic.  I know they've been routinely been making their stuff worse since I first started paying for the premium.  I too cannot have the app downloaded during work, but it's totally fine to use the Web Player.  This is virtually unusable now and for the first time, like many others, I really am considering cancelling my subscribtion. I also saw someone mentinong the lag, and yes it's awful...songs randomly stopping for anywhere between 1-30 seconds.  GREAT WORK!?!  This may have been comedic as an April Fools Day joke...  

Only thing holding me back from canceling now is that they really do still have a great selection of music.

The new web player UI inflicted upon me today is completely nonfunctional in both Chrome and Firefox. Design issues aside (I dislike having to click through yet another layer to reach my playlists), it stopped playing after five tracks of my Discovery Playlist. Clicking "play" does not start tracks and when I was somehow able to start playing another song (I had no idea which; the "currently playing" information completely disappeared), all playing controls became completely nonresponsive. Restarting the browser and clearing out cookies did nothing. It has completely broken for me.

I'm very disappointed in this update because I use the webplayer at work (I cannot install the desktop client) and at home (I use Linux and you just axed the client for that OS). I curate my playlists (my favorite part of Spotify) through the webplayer and find the mobile app completely useless for the purpose. If I am relegated to using only the mobile app to access Spotify, I might as well go back to buying CDs and ripping MP3s to my device because that's about the level of utility Spotify now offers me.

I am a longtime subscriber and I don't want to cancel, but I see no alternative if the UI does not radically improve. 

If I throw money at you, would you please give me the old layout?

The old web player looked like it was carefully designed by a team of experienced developers. The new layout looks like it was made by two interns working on a deadline.

I agree!! How do I change it back?? The new one opens in "open.spotify.com/" and the old one opens in "play.spotify.com/" but every time I type in "play.spotify.com/" it redirects me to the **bleep**ty new one. PLEASE HELP!

Would like to help you guys, as I found a solution today.

Follow the link https://userstyles.org/styles/129261/spotify-spot-on

for instructions.

BTW: You do not have to install the userstyle of mine...

Enjoy!

Marked as solution

Layout is awful.

Left-side bar is too big.

Too much wasted space.

Album artwork too small.

Artists page only contains artists that I followed (in a completely random order)????

Looks terrible.

'+' icons next to songs are gone. Why?

Too much functionality taken away.

YES! GREAT SOLUTION. You can select IE10 as a chrome user and afterwards
change the URL to "play.spotify.com" instead of "open.spotify.com" and it
works

a solution until Spotify gets their $hit together.

thanks 🙂

How on earth did this new web player make it into fruition? It is beyond disapointing when the old webplayer only had minor issues. Thankfully safari still runs the older version for now. The option for which player to run needs to be presented, and the webplayer through the website needs to remain consistent and functional. Most people like myself use this service at work on a computer which an app can't be installed.

Prior to the new interface update, I had saved a bunch of albums, but now I keep getting an error while trying to load them, and reloading doesn't work - all my albums are still saved since I see the little checkmark next to them if I look them up manually, but I can't see them under the ''album'' section.

Please help?

This is a HORRIBLE change in the layout and options for the Web Player. 

1. The Play Queue is gone. This is what I want back more than anything.

2. The volume reverts back to 100% when you close the Web Player. PLEASE GOD change this so it stays where it's set.

3. The title of the Web Player tab used to show the name of the current song, now it just has the album title or name of the artist or something. I want to be able to see what song I'm listening to.

4. The new layout is just really UGLY. It is aesthetically HORRIBLE and I hate it so much.

5. I want to be able to clear "Recently Played" or have it not show up at all.

Please change it back. Please.

Suggested posts