Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify GUI freezes in Ubuntu 19.10

Spotify GUI freezes in Ubuntu 19.10

Plan

Free

Operating System

Ubuntu 19.10 on Laptop and double display with HDMI cable

My Question or Issue

Hi,

I'm using Spotify on Ubuntu 19.10 and since I installed the software (some days ago) I noticed an annoying bug: the window of the program is freezed and so non-interactable, but music goes on and even keyboard insturctions (play/pause, go on, go back) works normally. I said that the window seems to be freezed because even automatic reshaping  does not work)

It happens very frequently and the only solution that I found is to close and reopen spotify (the close button 'X' works).

119 Replies

Same! Ubuntu 18.04.4 and getting GUI frozen. Spotify keeps playing music and responding to multimedia keys. I can also click where there should be buttons and the interaction works properly. It seems more a render-like problem instead of a full GUI bug.

I reinstalled today from snap with the same results. Works great for a while, but in a few minutes (couldn't say how long it lasts...), I have to close and reopen spotify. Pretty annoying.

Same here, UI freezes, pause button works, media keys and top bar works.

69307022-0048-4F88-B7E2-2A08FFB3590D.jpeg

 before doing this uninstall Spotify then go though these steps in the terminal then once you have completed that go to media players and Spotify should be there run it and login and it should work ok let me know how you get on 

Hi
The previous instruction seems to be a working solution.
I'm running xfce so I do not know why I need gnome-support but installed it anyway.
1. First I removed spotify
2. I could not get the key working so I downloaded the package http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/spotify-client-gnome-support_0.9.17.1.g9b85d43... and installed it with software center.
3. Installed spotify with software center
4. Launched spotify and it seems to load bit longer than usual and felt sticky the first minute but then working and responding OK.
Thank You Ali Garlanz

would seem like they have all ready fix it refer Spotify.com/download/

Is it still working ok

Yes ... about four hours and all OK.

Today ... I got the trouble back ... it freezes again.
Reinstalled from snap ... no help.
spotify 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15 from Spotify✓ installed

Have you done a system update cause I think it might be updating the Spotify Client and they might be a problem with the new version so I think you should try an install a earlier version of the Spotify Client and try that mine system still works ok but I haven’t updated my system

Yess .. it all started about two weeks ago when I took all suggested updates.

I had listened Spotify about one year without trouble ... Ubuntustudio 18.04

I will try to find earlier .deb spotify package somewhere.

I m using POP OS(Ubuntu derivative). Same problem.

Mostly when I click Alt+Tab.

Hi I would suggest uninstalling the version of Spotify you are running and download and install an earlier version of Spotify and see if that helps&nbl

It ain't easy to find an earlier .deb package which doesn't have dependency problems.

It's quite difficult to pass the verification to write here without eyeglasses.

Download Spotify Client 0.9.17 and install that see if that makes a difference let me know how that goes

1029BA9C-CABC-44F4-8FA5-9DCBE6C9532B.png

07EA367C-5829-4AD0-89BA-19B9C191ACC1.png

 Hi All I think if you go on pkgs.org and download Spotify Client 0.9.17 and install that that might solve the problem let me know how you all get on 

dependency.png

It will not install .... it needs a Debian Jessie package libnspr4-0d_4.12-1+debu8u1_amd64.deb ... and I can not take any changes about breaking up my os right now so I can't test this.

Download it from www.pkgs.org

type it in your browser l

I have the package spotify-client-0.9.17_0.9.17.8.gd06432d.31-1_amd64 from pkgs.org and tried to install it with gdebi but it has a dependency to debian jessie package. It will not install.

use terminal

type

sudo apt install curl

then type

curl -sS https://download.spotify.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

then type

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Hi

I reinstalled the Snap version yesterday ..

I've played two evenings without any trouble.

Someone fixed the Snap version ... thx.

Suggested posts