Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Add To Playlist Blinking and Can't Select

Add To Playlist Blinking and Can't Select

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Macbook Pro 2020 Intel

Operating System

iOS 14.3.1

My Issue

The issue is when I click on the three dots of a song and then select "Add To Playlist" it shows two menus blinking back and forth and I can't select the playlist I want to add the song to.  I have gif of the issue I will try to embed.  I did upload it to giphy as well so you can see the issue:

https://giphy.com/gifs/spotify-issue-d6MTwTHr9lK8hoNwLt

13 Replies

Hey @ralberts,

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Have you tried resizing the app to see if it helps? Something else you can try is collapsing the Now Playing View or Your Library, or disabling Hardware acceleration from the app's settings.

It's also worth resetting your preferences by deleting the prefs file from Spotify's installation folder:

1. Open Finder on your Mac and click Go > Library (if you don't have hidden folders enabled, press the option key first and it should appear).
  2. Go to Application Support > Spotify.
  3. There you'll find a file called prefs, which holds info about the currently logged in account. Simply delete it.
  4. While in the Spotify folder, you'll also find a Users folder. Open it and delete its contents as well.
  5. Restart the Spotify app.

Note that you'll be logged out and your settings will be reset, so you'll have to adjust them again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected, so no worries there.

If the issue persists, try performing a clean reinstall of the app.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

- Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.2.31.1205.g4d59ad7c
- Window is stretched enough horizontally, so right hand 'currently playing' panel is max width
- Initial click on the menu button for song is high enough up the screen so the popover drops downwards
- Subsequent hover on playlist menu item forced upwards due to number of playlists being more than 8
- Playlist selection then stuck flickering between left and right

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 11.18.15.png

A bit more investigation.

This depends on the width of the playlist popover nearly matching the width of the 'currently playing' panel. In my case I guess the defining playlist was called "Moving Scenery From A Train Window" which happened to have a long enough title to hit the sweet spot.

I am not the author, but I am facing the same issue. I have tried clean reinstalling the app, and the blinking persists. 

Could you also confirm that you've tried the other steps I suggested @alicexzhang? Feel free to also let me know what screen resolution you're currently running and try changing it to see if the issue persists.

Keep me posted!

YordanModerator

I can confirm this is a UI bug that is affecting macOS and Windows apps. I have detailed reproduction steps in another ticket here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Popover-menu-jumps-from-left-to-right-constantly/td-p/5...

The critical steps are:

1. When clicking the dots-menu for a song, the popover goes down, nearly touching the bottom of the screen.

2. Hovering over the "Add to playlist" item makes the list appear upwards because the number of playlists is larger than 8.

3. The width of the playlist popover very nearly touches the right edge of the whole window. The conditions can be recreated by altering the width of the "Now Playing" panel.

Thanks for the info @the_epitome.

Your feedback on this is greatly appreciated, folks! For the time being, some alternatives you can use are:

• right-clicking the song(s) - this opens the same context menu
  • dragging & dropping the song(s) to one of your playlists

I also recommend always running the latest version of Spotify so you don't miss out on any updates.

The Community is here if something else comes up.

Take care 🙂

YordanModerator

I have just into this, too. What I found that works for me is resizing the Dig Deeper window to the right of the playlist. As the sizing changes, at one point the "Add to playlist" popups become stable. Depending on how wide/narrow that width gets, the "Add to playlist" window can become unstable and flicker back and forth as shown in previous posts.

Spotify Problem.jpg

On Windows spotify (happens on both 10 and 11), sometimes when I try to add a song to a playlist, the list of playlists duplicates to both side of the dropdown menu where Add to playlist is. Problem is, it rapidly goes back and forth between which side it shows, so it's impossible to actually click any playlist. The alternative is I have to like the song first, click that + symbol next to the song and change from like playlist to the playlist I want it in. 

Hey @Astelle,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

If you haven't already done this and to test if it'll change the app's behavior when you're trying to add songs to playlists, try scaling the app a bit. One way to do this is by holding the Ctrl button on your keyboard and clicking on + and - or using the scroll on your mouse. You can also scale the app via the three dots > View > Zoom In/Out.

However, if this behavior continues, you can give Spotify a clean reinstall as it helps resolve issues with its performance and also gets rid of any corrupted cached files. To do so, you can follow the steps here.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

IvelinaModerator

When right clicking on a song to add to a playlist, the playlist selection sub-menu flips sides each frame. This happens only when right clicking on the exact center pixel where the sub menu flips from one side to another. I assume in the code there is an edge case where the location value results in a true value when selecting a side (both sides are true). I somehow happen to do this quite frequently on accident, but recreation requires you to purposely select the correct few pixels. If the sub menu pops up to the left, move your cursor left and right click again. Repeat until submenu flips to the right, then move back until it flips to each side every frame.

From my findings, this only really happens when using a smaller window. My exact configuration:

- 1920x1080 monitor in portrait mode

- Spotify desktop app in one half of the screen (bottom or top half)

- Reset zoom, then zoom in once (control +)

- Left menu bar is extended out, but to its smallest size (without going to tiles)

- Windows monitor scale 100%

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Happens on desktop computer and laptop

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

See above. In summary: Playlist selection menu (sub menu of "Add to playlist") flips from right to left side each frame after right clicking a song to add to a playlist.

This depends on what context window is open to the right. Please see attached video of the issue.

Windows 11 Ver 10.0.22631 Build 22631 ,

Spotify for Windows (64) 1.2.43.420.gc7b23f70

The app is open on the left screen of a multiscreen setup so the border to the right is to another monitor.

++When I trigger the bug, it takes up 78% of my CPU on an 11th gen intel core i5-1145G7

Suggested posts