Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bug: scrolling with mouse scroll wheel while dragging tracks no longer works

Solved!

Bug: scrolling with mouse scroll wheel while dragging tracks no longer works

After upgrading to Spotify for Mac 1.0.2.6, I can no longer use my mouse's scroll wheel while dragging tracks to a different position in a playlist. This is an important feature when working with long playlists.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a playlist that extends past the bottom of the window
  • Click and begin dragging the first song on the playlist downward
  • Use your mouse's scroll wheel to scroll the playlist down. It will not scroll.
32 Replies

Hey @danslimmon

Sorry for the delayed reply. My vacation was good!

This issue is still present in version 1.0.13 it looks like.

From what I have heard, it is still being looked into. I don't have anymore information that that right now.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Alright, thanks for the update. Keep me posted.

This bug is still present in 1.0.14.124.

Hi! How's it going?

Just thought I'd point out that this bug is still present in version 1.0.15.133.

This bug still exists in version 1.0.16.104.

Hey @danslimmon

Sorry for the late reply. 

I've been told the developers are still looking into this bug. I know the wait sucks. =(

Hopefully there will be good news soon.

MattSudaSpotify Star

This bug is still being looked into. Hopefully I'll have more info soon.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

Hey @danslimmon!

Our tech folks have looked into this, and have decided this is expected behaviour and not an issue.

We'll treat this as feedback for now, and let the developers know this is something you'd like to happen.

Thanks!

*sigh*... I am just as dissapointed as you are 😞

MattSudaSpotify Star

How can such a small feature, that has been present in previous versions, take so long to implement? Not to mention that what a lot of people on this forum considers to be a bug is seen as "expected behaviour" by the developers. It's just baffling. There's been multiple updates since this problem occured, but without a fix.

Marked as solution

@danslimmon @Oscar @mattias123 @Teresa

Good news!

Spotify recently rolled out a new desktop app design and one of the new features is the ability to scroll while dragging songs in a playlist so you can move it to the spot you want it much faster. You can also scroll while dragging playlists in the sidebar when rearranging them.

You'll need to make sure you have desktop app version 1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a or newer for this to work

Note: Some Windows users said this still doesn't work. It seems this might only work on Mac.

You can read more info about the new desktop app in this news article:

Introducing a New Spotify Experience Across Desktop App and Web Player 

The desktop team also has a blog post in the community about it:

The New Desktop App

There's also an FAQ post with answers to frequently asked questions about the new desktop design: 

FAQ: The New Spotify App for PC and Mac

MattSudaSpotify Star

Great, it just took them six years to rectify this. And yeah, it’s good that the new version solves this, but judging by the 59 pages of comments with issues that users have, I’m not terribly excited to make the switch.

For some reason, I am one of the lucky Windows users for whom this problem only arose recently.  I think it is a huge blow to usability, as re-ordering tracks in a medium-to-large playlist is almost impossible w/o the ability to drag tracks up and down a list that scrolls when the mouse gets close to the top or bottom of the track viewing pane.  I would say that this reduces the value of a subscription by 30% for me.

Suggested posts