Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

CPU Usage even when Spotify is closed

CPU Usage even when Spotify is closed

Occasionally my macbook get's incredibly hot and the fans speed up despite me not doing anything particularly intensive. Today, after shutting down every application that was running it kept getting hotter and louder so I looked into what was causing it (while I have to use task manager on pc a lot I'd never come across Activity Monitor until today). I've included a screenshot but I'm seeing Spotify Helper (Renderer) running at over 100% CPU. Questionable maths aside is there a reason this is happening? Spotify itself is closed. Ending the process saw temps drop in a few seconds and it's was back to being silent within 20 or so seconds, so clearly this is the culprit.

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 16.45.34.png
5 Replies

Hi there @daddsy,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you let us know how it works using the web player?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have the same experience. I try to reinstall(homebrew), but it didn't solve the problem.

Hey @Yogafire,

Thanks for the post!

Can you confirm to us that you've ran a clean reinstall of the app, following the guide @Jeremy has posted?

If that didn't help, try turning off Hardware acceleration from the app settings.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I had the exact same problem and it was driving me crazy until I found out. I have a MBP 2018 with Big Sur 11.4, i wake the MacBook from sleep, I put it in charge and all of a sudden temps are hitting 70 degrees. When I check system activity Spotify helper is using 100% of the cpu, as soon as I close it temps drop and everything goes back to normal. I'll try to perform a clean install and let you know if that fixes it, it might takes some time tho because it looks like it happens quite randomly.

I am currently experiencing this issue with the M1 beta. I will perform a clean reinstall of the app.Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 09.21.png

Suggested posts