Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't sort search results

Solved!

Can't sort search results

Before the big recent update, search results could be sorted by clicking the column headers -- e.g. by artist, track, album. But after the update I can't do it anymore.

I'm guessing that they just didn't bother to keep the old functionality in the new pretty version.

Well, that's an epic fail.

Removing features is not an upgrade. I know it's in vogue, and I know the cloud-headed ponies in the design and marketing team have no concept of that fact, but it's still the truth. Prettier is not an upgrade. Less useful is not an upgrade. Only *more* useful is an upgrade. Everything else is a downgrade.

What do they think will happen when all the features are taken away and all the have is a nice, cute, pretty, featureless, non-interactive, useless radio app? Do they think people will actually keep paying for that?

The mind wobbles.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Good news!

You can now sort the column headers in the search results again! If you don't have it yet, you will soon as it rolls out.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I agree that the ability to sort search results needs to be brought back. Please add kudos and comments to this idea, which asks for sort options to be reintroduced.

In that thread, a user notes that the following temporary workaround allows for search result sorting:

"A workaround currently seems to be to append 
spotify:search: before what you want to search for. For example, if you want to search for the word "song" you should search for spotify:search:song instead of just song."

I clicked your link to a new tab and then had to look through three tabs to find it, because there were two other tabs open to Ideas that start with the words "Bring Back."

Seems to me that's very telling about the direction of Spotify features. They keep removing things, people keep wanting them back, they never come back. Is that really a good strategy? What do I know, I don't run a million dollar business, but I often wonder about the people that do run them...

Agreed.

Sort by column headings is such a fundamental element of any interface with lists.

Hell only knows why they removed it... is it perhaps so spotify has more control over which songs get more play and become more popular??

I think so but have no clue why they would want to do that.....

There is a temporary work around here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/When-will-sort-search-results-by-column-...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks, but ridiculous having to type that everytime isnt it?! upgrades are supposed to make the user experience more intuitive.

Taxi for the UI designer please! 

It is a basic function for lists.  Removing this basic functionaluity creates a major inconvenience for users - many searches return many results and now we have to scroll through them one at a time.  Seems very amateurish on the part of Spotify.

since last update ive lost my search function, everytime i go to search for something it keeps saying a error has occured please try again. Please help cos with a working search function it renders spotify useless

Hello and welcome:

Hey is it possible for you to post a screen shot of what is happening here on the boards.

WTF - The developers even killed this workaround in the new version (1.0.2.6.etcetera). 

Marked as solution

Good news!

You can now sort the column headers in the search results again! If you don't have it yet, you will soon as it rolls out.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Finally! This makes Spotify much more useful for finding what we are looking for when search results displays long lists - a typical situation!

That would be good news if I could even complete a search. Nothing but errors. Over and over again.

@StarScream

Hello:

If you could post the error codes you get, the device and OS being used that the error codes happen on, and also the Spotify app verion, this would be great.

Windows 10, browser version.

There is no error code. Just says an error occurred. Try again later.

Suggested posts