Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Connecting to Chromecast Device on Mac Desktop App

Connecting to Chromecast Device on Mac Desktop App

Plan: Premium

Device: Macbook Pro mid 2015

Operating System: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

My Question or Issue

I just purchased some speakers (Polk Magnifi Mini) that has wifi capability (and Bluetooth).  Important to me is to be able to play music to this device over wifi in my Spotify Mac desktop app. 

Although this speaker system isn't specifically listed as compatible with Spotify, the device does support Chromecast, which Spotify Connect appears to support.

This is my first time having to use Chromecast and I'm having trouble it working seamlessly.

With my speaker system connected to wifi and Chromecast (via Google Home mobile app), the Spotify desktop app still doesn't recognize it in the devices list.  It only shows my computer and my Amazon Echo (connected via wifi).  The only way I seem to be able to get it to connect is if I use the Spotify web browser, where Chromecast does show up in the devices list.  Only once I connect in the web browser does it show in the desktop app.

I would prefer for it to just show up in the desktop app.  I prefer to not have to use the web player.  Also, it's clunky this current way -- in the web player, after selecting Chromecast a popup comes up and I have to select the device, and then there is a few seconds delay before it plays.  Definitely not as good as an experience as simply selecting the device from within the desktop app.

Help?  Does Spotify Chromecast devices from within the desktop app?

5 Replies

Hi! I hope you're having a nice day!

Have you tried rebooting your computer? It's a simple solution, but it's often overlooked.
You could also try deleting the Spotify app from your computer, then rebooting, and then installing it again.

I hope this works for you! Please let me know!

Actually, I have since learned that Spotify doesn't support Chromecast directly in the desktop app, despite users complaining about this for years.  Instead, you have to do the annoying hack of connecting to the device from the web browser app or mobile app first, then through the desktop app, each time you want to use the Chromecast device...

Oh, that's too bad. You could always try to submit an idea for a feature:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/idb-p/ideas_submissions

I have since found that the Idea is already listed with over 1300 votes: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Connect-Show-Chromecast-on-Desktop-s-Device-List/idi-p/1...

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts