Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Continuous play

Solved!

Continuous play

Why do songs sometimes play continuously and other times not?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It depends where you you are in Spotify, and what subscription you are on.

If you're on the free version of Spotify, and you're in the "Search" section of Spotify, tracks will play one at a time. However, if you're in a playlist, these tracks should play continuously. On Unlimited or Premium, they should play continuously.

Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

43 Replies
Marked as solution

It depends where you you are in Spotify, and what subscription you are on.

If you're on the free version of Spotify, and you're in the "Search" section of Spotify, tracks will play one at a time. However, if you're in a playlist, these tracks should play continuously. On Unlimited or Premium, they should play continuously.

Airhorn Enthusiast

Why can't I continually play my playlist on Spotify?  I would like to listen to music while I am on line and I don't know how to do this.  Please advise, thank you.

@bobemakk wrote:

Why can't I continually play my playlist on Spotify?  I would like to listen to music while I am on line and I don't know how to do this.  Please advise, thank you.

What device are you using? 

On the desktop you should be able to play from a playlist continually without issues.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

thanks, I have the free version.

I am using a laptop.  Will it work with a laptop?

@bobemakk wrote:

I am using a laptop.  Will it work with a laptop?

Should do! What behaviour are you getting? 

Does it play one track and then stop? Are you playing from the search results page or from a playlist or artist page?

Peter

Peter

I have a similar problem. I have a Spotify Unlimited account and access it on a desktop. I would like to be able to play entire albums continuously (so I am on the album page), but Spotify stops after each one or goes back to the last playlist I was listening to and plays a song from that. It's really frustrating and severely limits Spotify's utility.

@microbie wrote:

I have a similar problem. I have a Spotify Unlimited account and access it on a desktop. I would like to be able to play entire albums continuously (so I am on the album page), but Spotify stops after each one or goes back to the last playlist I was listening to and plays a song from that. It's really frustrating and severely limits Spotify's utility.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Can you try clearing out your play queue like in this topic and see if that helps? 

Peter

Peter

I cleared out my play queue and turned off the repeat and shuffle play options, but Spotify still won't automatically start the next track on an album (from the album page). I've tried a couple of different albums.

@microbie wrote:

I cleared out my play queue and turned off the repeat and shuffle play options, but Spotify still won't automatically start the next track on an album (from the album page). I've tried a couple of different albums.

That definitely sounds strange! Those albums aren't ones you have stored as local files either? 

Can you try disabling (unticking):

- Enable Hardware Acceleration (Windows only)

- Set same volume level for each track

- Crossfade and Gapless playback

In the Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Playback menu and see if that helps at all? 

Peter

Peter

I don't have any local album files in Spotify, and alas turning off those options and restarting Spotify didn't work. I'm beginning to think that Spotify is trying to tell me that I'm old and no one listens to full albums any more.

@microbie wrote:

I don't have any local album files in Spotify, and alas turning off those options and restarting Spotify didn't work. I'm beginning to think that Spotify is trying to tell me that I'm old and no one listens to full albums any more.

It is one of my favourite things to do!

Can you try a clean reinstallation of the client and see if that helps? It will make sure you are on the most recent version too. 

Peter

Peter

Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work, either. After I updated Spotify a couple of months ago is when I started having this problem. In previous versions of Spotify I could continuously play full albums without having to click on each track and add it to my play queue. Thank you for your suggestions, even though they haven't solved the problem.

Can we check -- what's happening after you reach the end of track 1 on an album? Does it jump to a different track in the playlist/album or stop playing entirely? Is your play queue completely empty before you click to play the first track?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Now that I've emptied out my Play Queue, Spotify simply stops after it plays the first track of an album.  Before I emptied the Play Queue, it would play the first track and then jump back to a track in the last playlist I listened to (usually during the previous day). The albums I've been trying to play haven't had tracks in those previous playlists.

In case anyone's still reading this thread- I just downloaded Spotify onto my home computer (Toshiba laptop running Windows 8), and Spotify still won't play album tracks continuously. I may just cancel my subscription. I like the playlists I have, but the real benefit of Spotify is sampling new music before buying. Not being able to play albums continuously severely limits that benefit.

I had to have another Spotify user watch me. What I was doing wrong was clicking a track, then right-clicking and choosing Play. It turns out I have to double-click the track to add the entire album to the Play Queue.

Thanks for persisting with this query and posting the resolution you found. I was having the exact same problem and now know both how to clear the play queue and how to play an entire album (I'm old school too...) Thanks!

Well, I kind of have the opposite problem. Oftentime I'm only interested in playing one particular song or a few chosen ones. But after that song or those songs have played, Spotify continues to play songs from whatever playlist they came from, and that can sometimes be quite annoying. Isn't there any way to avoid this? So far I haven't found that magical setting that could fix this problem for me...

Suggested posts