Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Play/pause button not automatically focused after re-opening Spotify desktop

Solved!

[Desktop] Play/pause button not automatically focused after re-opening Spotify desktop

This used to be the case, but since the last few versions of Spotify Desktop re-opening the app does not automatically focus the keyboard on the Play/Pause button.

How to reproduce:

1. Open Spotify
  2. Play a song
  3. Hide Spotify (Cmd+H or from menu Spotify > Hide Spotify)
  4. Go back to Spotify app (either from the Dock or through Cmd+Tab)
  5. Press the space bar to Play/Pause
  6. macOS give an error sound

When you click anywhere in the Spotify app, then the space bar will Play/Pause as usual.

This behavior makes it inconvenient to quickly hide Spotify when not needed, and go back to play/pause (without having to use the mouse) when desired.

Hope this can be fixed in a (near) future version!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It appears that this issue has gone away and the original functionality restored 🙂 

Version:
Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.1.85.895.g2a71e1b8

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @visnetje,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. We moved your post from Ideas to the help boards as its content fits better here.

SInce this issue started with a recent update, it's possible that your Mac has some stored cache from the previous version that may interfere with the proper performance of the app. We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues.

If the issue persists, would you mind including in your next response the model and OS version of your mac, along with the Spotify version you're currently running? This will give us a better look at your issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Great, so I followed the advice @OscarDC provided to do a clean re-install.

Lost my recent playback history and searches, the issue is still here.

System profile:

• MacBook Pro 14 inch M1 Pro
  • macOS 12.3.1 Monterey
  • Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon) 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

I also noticed this issue in the latest version. Very annoying. 

I'm also using 14" M1 Pro with Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon) 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

Hey @visnetje,

Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm, is this happening with any other streaming service (if possible)?

Changing tunes, could you send us a short video showing us this issue (including the error sound you mentioned).

Lastly, we recommend logging in with a different account and tell us if the issue persists. 

We'll be here standing by.  

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

I'm seeing this same issue exactly as the original issue describes. I've attached a quick screen recording, where I followed the same reproduction steps. No audio in this capture, but you can see the space bar presses are ignored after hiding and then returning to Spotify. Only after clicking on the Spotify interface does a keyboard shortcut (space to play/pause) work again. The sound is the "invalid key press" alert, referenced here: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-the-alert-sounds-mchlp2207/mac

Also of note, this occurs with other keyboard shortcuts, for example, Cmd + L to get to the search bar.

I'm seeing this on multiple M1 computers, both running

• macOS 12.3.1 Monterey
  • Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
    1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

The video capture from @djpowers exactly displays the issue I described. It seems that the Spotify app does not properly understand that the window has focus after switching back to the app when the app was hidden (with Hide Spotify).

Hi everyone,

Thank for your reports and info.

We've passed this on to the right folks at Spotify to investigate what might be causing this issue 🙂 

We'll keep you up to date with any news here.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

It appears that this issue has gone away and the original functionality restored 🙂 

Version:
1.1.85.895.g2a71e1b8

@aiiskoplusaiist I can confirm that this is indeed the case. Finally! 🙂

1.1.86.857.g3751ee08

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies and confirmations.

We're glad to see that everything's back to normal for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else. Have a great Sunday!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts